Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Bass/ Anderson dilemna.....

Both players have severe flaws, which is why SVG yo-yo's between the 2 incessantly. Neither player has yet to earn his confidence, it's been a matter of which has exhausted his patience. The only constant in this 2 year dilemma is the player on the outside looking in inevitably appears to be the better option. Which speaks volumes. As does the fact one good game from either is all that's required to dramatically alter their status in comparision to the other. It's the ol back up QB mentality w/situation reminiscent of football team with two backup QB's and no quality starter. The best option appears to be different every game and there often never appears to be a best option. Flip a coin, cross fingers, pray, grasp at straws, rinse, & repeat. Just don't ask me to believe there's a new formula that will unlock something that hasn't already been seen or to embrace the microwave mentality required to believe one game alters anything more than the perception of reality. It's all been tried, pin your hopes on variance.

Which is why I don't think there's any question RA is more important to Orlando's post season success. Like these 2 players, this team has severe flaws, and has to manufacture a way to compensate for them to achieve meaningful postseason success. Push tempo, circle the 3 point line, and don't leave any bullets in the chamber. The Magic are undoubtedly pinning their post season hopes on Dwight, getting hot at the right time, & riding a wave of momentum. They aren't outplaying elite teams consistently, they are pinning their hopes on variance. Is there any doubt RA is the player among these 2 who best compliments this boom/bust equation? In practice, RA proved rather limited as the starter this season, scores the bulk of his points in very limited minutes (which appears condusive to bench role), and has rarely increased his output with extended minutes. But, what is there to lose? We know he'll put up the shots, he just has to get hot 4 games a series.

Not exactly a glowing endorsement, not even claiming he's the best of two weak options, but I think he gives this team a home run threat or a punchers chance if you will.

It seems to be both a match-up issue, as well as chemistry.

I think if we had Anderson in the Starting Line-up, it would help open the floor and give Dwight some breathing room down low. BUT, this severely limits our scoring options off the bench until JJ gets back. If JJ is back in playing form, I say make JJ the first option off the bench, and move RA to the starting PF and make him option 4 or 5. Otherwise, we need him off the bench for production.

Rebounding - Anderson

Team defense - Anderson (better rotations and his ability to take charges)

1 on 1 post defense - Don't know, they're both are pretty solid.

Basketball IQ - Anderson lmao

Post up / creating own shot - Bass

Clutch - Bass

Beard - Anderson

Anderson can create good mismatch problems against the Bulls and the Lakers. However, I'd still keep Bass in the starting line up against the Celtics or the Heat.

This one. It's all about matchups - I'd say Ryno's great at offensive rebounds and stretching the floor, Bass is obviously better at around-the-rim defense/offense and rebounding.

Usually.

It just depends on who we're matched up against.

Pretty simple guys, we went to the Finals and ECF with a stretch four playing 80% of the minutes. When we made the Finals, we had Turk playing with a stretch 4. Now we have a stretch 4 AND a good shooting guard.

Not to mention, Anderson's putting up better advanced stats than Rashard ever did for us.

• Upvote 2

I've been a harsh critic of Anderson since he's arrived, but even I have to admit he's been killing it out there lately. I actually think he might be our x-factor in the playoffs. If he can make 3s throughout games, especially momentum killing 3s for other teams, and rebound, we have a shot to go far. To add on to the rebounding aspect, if can lock down the weak side boards, Dwight will have a little more leeway in shot blocking, and he'll be allowed to roam more on defense. I also think his offensive rebounding is critical. Dwight gets so much attention, that having someone with a nose for rebounding is huge.

Anderson is not prime Shard, but if can contribute in those areas effectively throughout an entire game (not just the first half), he'll be a huge weapon.

• Upvote 1

Pretty simple guys, we went to the Finals and ECF with a stretch four playing 80% of the minutes. When we made the Finals, we had Turk playing with a stretch 4. Now we have a stretch 4 AND a good shooting guard.

Not to mention, Anderson's putting up better advanced stats than Rashard ever did for us.

Back then our role players had to make every play to set up the points for Dwight or scoring for themselves. Dwight was just not able to create points for himself in the post against good post defenders. This year we have all things you have listed (better role players in Hedo and JRich, as well as Anderson's better rebounding and ability to drive and dunk) and also Dwight's ability to create points for himself 60% of the time.

lol i meant to make the point about how Ryno is better at rebounding and other small things and ended up saying why we're better than previous years.

Still though, Ryno > 2010 Rashard

• Upvote 1

Saying Ryan is better than Bass or 2010 Rashard isn't the most glowing endorsement in the world.. but with the roster we got, you do what you can. What else can you do, at least for now? More than anything I'm scared Bass is going to lose us a big game. I mean there were whole stretches in the past two games where he literally did NOTHING right. Sometimes he frustrates me even more than Arenas does.

I'm "cautiously optimistic" that Jameer and Anderson can stay as hot as they've been as of late. Then maybe one more guy can join the party like Hedo, J-Rich, Redick, or dare I say it, Gilbert, and we may just have a stew cooking.

If this version of the Magic want to do anything like the '09 crew did.. they gotta copy one main thing those 2009 guys accomplished.

Make it rain, fellas. Make it rain.