Sign in to follow this  
fan for too long 2

10 day contracts

I have been wondering when was the last player the Magic signed a player to a 10 day contract? And who was it? Seems like this team with Otis as the GM never signs a D league player to a 10 day. This year should have been a great chance to find a diamond in the rough. With all the injuries, I can't understand why this team won't sign one. Is it Otis or Stan? It could be Stan because he won't even give the young new kid Earl Clark any time on the court.

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

A diamond in the rough?

Ok, Xenu is curious: Can you even name 10 D-league call-ups in league history who have gone on to be productive NBA players?

And no, green rookies sent by their main roster to get D-league experience doesn't count.

*******END TRANSMISSION********

Has ANY team called up a "diamond in the rough" this season that has had a productive season? What makes this season a better opportunity to find one of these diamonds than other years? Finally, these aren't illegal African diamonds that we are talking about, right? As much as I would love some bling, I don't want someone else's blood all over it making it look gross.

Has ANY team called up a "diamond in the rough" this season that has had a productive season? What makes this season a better opportunity to find one of these diamonds than other years? Finally, these aren't illegal African diamonds that we are talking about, right? As much as I would love some bling, I don't want someone else's blood all over it making it look gross.

The blood would indeed decrease the value and aesthetic appel of the diamond, but you may be able to wash it off.

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

A diamond in the rough?

Ok, Xenu is curious: Can you even name 10 D-league call-ups in league history who have gone on to be productive NBA players?

And no, green rookies sent by their main roster to get D-league experience doesn't count.

*******END TRANSMISSION********

Rafer Alston, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Will Bynum, Matt Carroll, Eddie Gill, Stephen Graham, Jason Hart, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Smush Parker, Bobby Simmons, Ime Udoka, Von Wafer, C. J. Watson, and Mike Wilks.

• Upvote 1

The blood would indeed decrease the value and aesthetic appel of the diamond, but you may be able to wash it off.

Yes, but then I can't pretend like the blood was never there. It's better to walk around oblivious to the problem.

SVG won't even play Earl Clark over MALIK-FREAKING-ALLEN, what makes you think he would even consider (for what it's worth) a d-leaguer?

This was kinda the point I was making.

And, Dom (AKA Lord Xenu) I can't look them all up, but it seems that there are a few players that would be decent players in the NBA if they were given the chance. But with guaranteed contracts in the league, you have guys like Malik, Duhon, Diop, Koncak, Magliore, DeClerq, Royal Ivey, Marcus Banks, etc. all playing way too long and never being productive enough to earn guaranteed millions but they get it anyway because that is the way the NBA works. They got the playing time and showed a flash of ability even if very brief and some GM thought he was the next "thing" and signed him up. Meanwhile players who can run rings around these guys never get to show their ability in the NBA and the GM's think they can't do it on this level. And spend their whole life languishing in the minors.

As for naming players that have made it out of the D league and been productive, Gary Neal, I know europe, not d league. But, i gotta ask, how can they be productive when they don't EVER get a chance. Earl Barron has shown he can play in this league but never gets the playing time and has been back and forth from the D league to the Nba several times. There are others. Just because they haven't made it to the NBA doesn't mean they aren't good enough.

(Thanks Hibachi, I didn't have the time to look them all up.)

This was kinda the point I was making.

And, Dom (AKA Lord Xenu) I can't look them all up, but it seems that there are a few players that would be decent players in the NBA if they were given the chance. But with guaranteed contracts in the league, you have guys like Malik, Duhon, Diop, Koncak, Magliore, DeClerq, Royal Ivey, Marcus Banks, etc. all playing way too long and never being productive enough to earn guaranteed millions but they get it anyway because that is the way the NBA works. They got the playing time and showed a flash of ability even if very brief and some GM thought he was the next "thing" and signed him up. Meanwhile players who can run rings around these guys never get to show their ability in the NBA and the GM's think they can't do it on this level. And spend their whole life languishing in the minors.

As for naming players that have made it out of the D league and been productive, Gary Neal, I know europe, not d league. But, i gotta ask, how can they be productive when they don't EVER get a chance. Earl Barron has shown he can play in this league but never gets the playing time and has been back and forth from the D league to the Nba several times. There are others. Just because they haven't made it to the NBA doesn't mean they aren't good enough.

(Thanks Hibachi, I didn't have the time to look them all up.)

Jordan Farmar is from the D-League, and I think he makes a pretty good backup PG.