Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Hedo in Playoff Mode......

Lastly, Turkoglu was fantastic. With Nelson out, Orlando — like in 2009 — heavily relied in Turkoglu to guide the offense and he was able to do so.

In the fourth quarter and with the game still in the balance, the Magic ran 3/5 pick and rolls with Turkoglu and Howard on nearly every possession. The results were devastating, as Turkoglu was able to knock down shots from the perimeter and when he wasn’t looking for his shot, he was able to feed Howard for alley-oop dunks that are nearly unguardable. If Orlando wants to advance deep in the playoffs and do damage, this is the play that they need to rely on.

The 3/5 pick and roll with Turkoglu and Howard is a key to the Magic’s success.

Interesting that I was browsing this forum not more than a week ago when I came across an opinion on Hedo in another thread from a veteran poster here saying that "Hedo is a 'shell' of his former self".

I've always thought Hedo's decline in play about 10 games or so after we reaquired him was injury related....also causing him to stop being aggressive and or looking for his shot as SVG is asking him to do more now.

GO MAGIC !!!

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2011/03/26/recap-orlando-magic-95-new-jersey-nets-85/#

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting that I was browsing this forum not more than a week ago when I came across an opinion on Hedo in another thread from a veteran poster here saying that "Hedo is a 'shell' of his former self".

I've always thought Hedo's decline in play about 10 games or so after we reaquired him was injury related....also causing him to stop being aggressive and or looking for his shot as SVG is asking him to do more now.

GO MAGIC !!!

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2011/03/26/recap-orlando-magic-95-new-jersey-nets-85/#

You don't have to hint around about it all coyly Junkie. It was me. He's been very inconsistent and the fact that he is playing much better last week than he was the week before backs up that point. I would say that the fact that his numbers have significantly decreased the last few seasons also strengthens the point that he isn't the same player.

I would like nothing more than for Turk to play well in the playoffs. The Magic need him to in order for them to have any real chance of success. What I hope will happen and what I think will happen are two very different things.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i just hope hedo keeps this up into the playoffs. We can't have him on the court if he's not making good decisions and hitting his shots. To be fair, J Rich fits into this same category. They're both so bad defensively so they only have value on one end of the court. In a conference with great SFs (Lebron, Carmelo, Iggy, Pierce, Granger, [and to a lesser degree Deng]) and SG's (Wade, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson) we need to have something from these positions to justify them being on the court or they're going to get torched.

I like your optimism, but Hedo is still the same Hedo we all know. I need to see more than a few games for my opinion to change about him, the inconsistent yet stable playmaking, the brilliant yet dumb decision-making, the OMG-what-is-he-thinking to WOW-MJ-of-Turkey shooting etc etc.

Hedo is not an all-star. Hedo is not LeBron, Hedo is not Shaq, not Kobie, not blah blah blah.

One of the things that bothers me about he NBA is that people have this binary view of players. They are either superstars or just some player that is filling out the roster until the team can find a superstar to fill that slot. I've even seen a lot of basketball people who know a hell of a lot more about the game than me fall into this trap. They talk about how a team NEEDS 2-3 superstars to win big.

Further the NBA seems to propagate this with the reffing. Again people that have been around the game longer than me and know a lot more than me say that the way officiating calls go in the game is directly proportional to the amount of superstar cred you have in the league. While I could go off on this particular point for pages I want to stay focused on Hedo here so I'll let my seething rage on this issue simmer for the moment.

Hedo fills a role in our roster that seems to work for our current setup. Without him we tried having Vince but...well I think we can all agree that could have gone better. But even thou he is filling that role he's human and will make mistakes. Hell even our superstar has issues with making mental mistakes with the amount of T's he gets, not that I blame him-hell I even think he's been very restrained but again I'm gonna let that pot of rage simmer as I finish up my point about Hedo.

In closing the NBA is not so much about a minute to minute or even game to game level of consistency but rather a 7 game level of consistency. To me those that dog on Hedo, and others, focus too much on the former. But overall a guy like Hedo gives us a pretty good bang for the buck on the latter. If I could invent cloning machine and pop a 25 year old Scottie Pippen into our lineup I'd do that. But for right now I'm ok with Hedo. In fact, pass me a slice of pizza. Mmm, pizza.

Hedo is not an all-star. Hedo is not LeBron, Hedo is not Shaq, not Kobie, not blah blah blah.

One of the things that bothers me about he NBA is that people have this binary view of players. They are either superstars or just some player that is filling out the roster until the team can find a superstar to fill that slot. I've even seen a lot of basketball people who know a hell of a lot more about the game than me fall into this trap. They talk about how a team NEEDS 2-3 superstars to win big.

Further the NBA seems to propagate this with the reffing. Again people that have been around the game longer than me and know a lot more than me say that the way officiating calls go in the game is directly proportional to the amount of superstar cred you have in the league. While I could go off on this particular point for pages I want to stay focused on Hedo here so I'll let my seething rage on this issue simmer for the moment.

Hedo fills a role in our roster that seems to work for our current setup. Without him we tried having Vince but...well I think we can all agree that could have gone better. But even thou he is filling that role he's human and will make mistakes. Hell even our superstar has issues with making mental mistakes with the amount of T's he gets, not that I blame him-hell I even think he's been very restrained but again I'm gonna let that pot of rage simmer as I finish up my point about Hedo.

In closing the NBA is not so much about a minute to minute or even game to game level of consistency but rather a 7 game level of consistency. To me those that dog on Hedo, and others, focus too much on the former. But overall a guy like Hedo gives us a pretty good bang for the buck on the latter. If I could invent cloning machine and pop a 25 year old Scottie Pippen into our lineup I'd do that. But for right now I'm ok with Hedo. In fact, pass me a slice of pizza. Mmm, pizza.

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

Puny sub-creature, this post is a trainwreck of half-baked ideas, attacking bizarre strawman arguments, and then closing by making a series of countering the arguments of other posters by restating the exact point they'd previously been making.

You show your Thetans too quickly, pathetic man-animal.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

duly noted

By basketball, I'm assuming NBA. Can you name me a single finals team that had anything less than two superstars or bonafide all stars? The only team in recent memory are the 2004 pistons, but that team had 3 all stars AND a DPOY. Kobe/shaq, Duncan/Ginobli/Parker, Wade/Shaq, Celtics' big 3, Kobe/Gasol/Odom. All those players are either superstars or bonafide all stars. And that is just this decade. Last decade it was MJ/Pippen+ a whole lot of talent with guys like Longley, Kukoc, Rodman, Kerr. So YES, you need at least 2 superstars or one superstar and a combination of (all star) players that equal another superstar to win it all.

I don't understand what your argument is here, are you trying to say that NBA games aren't dictated by superstar calls? I can only speak from this decade, maybe older posters can talk about the refs in the 90s. But this decade games have been decided by superstar calls/treatment. Look at Miami '06.

Hedo is human you say? and all this time I thought he was a turkish pizza-eating alien! Again i'm not sure what you're ranting about.

Sorry if you think my opinion of Hedo, based on his whole career and his years on the magic, isn't swayed by a few regular season games. The second he starts messing it up, you and other posters like you will call for his head. Meanwhile, the posters who understand his game will sit back and laugh because we all knew it was coming.

my answers are in red.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

my answers are in red.

Your answers are bulls..t and my answers are not in red...

Plus you do not know basketball,

you do not know what a team is,

you do not know what a fan is,

you do not know how a BASKETBALL TEAM FAN must be?

Can you name me a single finals team that had anything less than two superstars or bonafide all stars?

The first Rockets team that went to the finals. The second one added Clyde the Glide, but the first was Hakeem and....at the time a bunch of nobodies. Cassell turned that into a career, but never really did anything else. Horry would occasionally show up in the post season and hit a three at a critical point.

Other than Hakeem, I'm hard-pressed to think of another allstar-caliber player on that team. Could be my mind, going, though.