Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Hedo in Playoff Mode......

“He’s sometimes his own worst enemy, trying to predetermine what he’s going to do and not taking in what the defense gives him,” coach Stan Van Gundy said after Turk posted 20 points and 13 assists against the woeful Nets in Friday night’s win.

Turk is coming around when the Magic need him most, with the playoffs a few weeks away.

Van Gundy believes everything with Turk is predicated by his jump-shot.

“I told him everything gets set up by his shot,” Van Gundy said. “That he’s got to shoot the ball when he’s open and I thought what happened tonight is they wanted to take away from him turning the corner. He stuck threes (3 three-pointers) when they started to go over the top and he was making plays.

“That’s how he’s got to play. ..He’s a very skilled guy and when he’s playing under control and relaxed and not predetermining his move and he’s willing to shoot the ball, he’s a very tough guy to guard.”

GO MAGIC !!!!!

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/03/magics-hedo-turkoglu-in-playoff-mode.html

• Upvote 5

As a Hedo supporter I will admit to being a little nonplussed with his overall performance after the trade. However 'chemistry' does not happen over night and I also thought it was pretty clear that he was fighting a bit of an injury. Not a really bad injury that he needed to be sitting out just was not 100% physically and add that to the other chemistry issue I thought ok, well no need to go into panic mode. (I know delete my account here right now for such blasphemy.)

But I think he is now getting back into where he was before he was traded away. He is getting to see the flow of the the offense and can make good decisions about when and how to pass. And to me that is when he works best. He's not a defensive monster but he does well enough imo. Why I want him on the floor, and why I wanted him on the team again, was that he works well as almost a project manager for the team. Horrible analogy I know but until I can come up with better there it is.

His height gives him the ability to see the floor well, he can handle the ball well (even to the point of moving it up the floor with ease as needed), and if his shot is on he can strike some real daggers in the opposing teams hearts. Those fade away 3's when the clock is about to expire really can take the wind out of a teams momentum.

• Upvote 2

As a Hedo supporter I will admit to being a little nonplussed with his overall performance after the trade. However 'chemistry' does not happen over night and I also thought it was pretty clear that he was fighting a bit of an injury. Not a really bad injury that he needed to be sitting out just was not 100% physically and add that to the other chemistry issue I thought ok, well no need to go into panic mode. (I know delete my account here right now for such blasphemy.)

But I think he is now getting back into where he was before he was traded away. He is getting to see the flow of the the offense and can make good decisions about when and how to pass. And to me that is when he works best. He's not a defensive monster but he does well enough imo. Why I want him on the floor, and why I wanted him on the team again, was that he works well as almost a project manager for the team. Horrible analogy I know but until I can come up with better there it is.

His height gives him the ability to see the floor well, he can handle the ball well (even to the point of moving it up the floor with ease as needed), and if his shot is on he can strike some real daggers in the opposing teams hearts. Those fade away 3's when the clock is about to expire really can take the wind out of a teams momentum.

His last 5 games are constant. He really had big problems with injury. As Van Gundy said, his skills are much so that even on a night when he can not score, he can reaceive rebounds and make many assists. His defense is not perfest but not bad...

Yeah I agree. Earlier on this season, before the trade, SVG would always comment how we suck at passing and ball movement was just terrible. Passing is clearly one of Hedo's best assets so it's clear that is why we reacquired him. Not to mention he is capable of having big scoring nights.

I like your optimism, but Hedo is still the same Hedo we all know. I need to see more than a few games for my opinion to change about him, the inconsistent yet stable playmaking, the brilliant yet dumb decision-making, the OMG-what-is-he-thinking to WOW-MJ-of-Turkey shooting etc etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I like your optimism, but Hedo is still the same Hedo we all know. I need to see more than a few games for my opinion to change about him, the inconsistent yet stable playmaking, the brilliant yet dumb decision-making, the OMG-what-is-he-thinking to WOW-MJ-of-Turkey shooting etc etc.

Thanks god, SVG knows basketball better than you.

He must make 30 assists per game and may be he must score 40 pts per game for you and people like you to stop making these kinds of comments...

Can't you see, without him the team slows down, the number of turnovers suddenly increases, lack of playmaking shouts from the field?

With his entrance, Dwight, Bass, Ryan, JRich all steps on the field more confident.

You and people like you...Like it or not. Hedo was one of the key figures of ORLANDO team in its conference championship and its NBA FINALS in 2009.

And he is still one of the key figures of ORLANDO team to be called as a contender.

And he is still one of the key figures of ORLANDO team in play offs, conference finals and road to the NBA FINALS...

• Upvote 5

“I’m real aggressive right now,” Turk said. “I’m trying to turn the corner and just look for my shot first and be aggressive and then help. I can see Dwight like tonight; I just threw it high and he got it. And guys on the other side, I can see them by driving the ball.”

The performance was exactly what Van Gundy wants out of Turkoglu.

“He’s such a skilled guy with size, if he just takes what the defense gives him, he can make every play,” Van Gundy said. “If you go under, he can stick the jumper. If you don’t do a good job on your pick-and-roll defense, he can turn the corner and finish. He can make all the passes. He’s a very skilled guy and when he’s just playing under control and relaxed and not pre-determining his move and he’s willing to shoot the ball when they have him the shot, he’s a very tough guy to guard.”

He averaged 16.2 points and shot 51.8 percent on the team’s recent five-game road trip, and his usage rate is up to 16.0 after going as low as 15.5 earlier this year with the Magic.

“We don’t put a lot of pressure on him by saying you have to play the same as you did in the Finals,” Dwight Howard said. “But just be aggressive, be our point forward. He can do a good job of that.”

GO MAGIC !!!!

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/03/hedo-turkoglu-looks-for-his-shot-puts-up-big-game-vs-nets.html

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am amazed to see that some people still treat him as a top salary player. No, unlike Gil, he is not making 20 mill a year and shoots blanks,

He makes 10 mill, and most of his contract has been paid by Toronto and Phoenix. (he dropped his player option)

And I dont buy what Dwight is saying. Franchise players come and go as they please, but so called role players or better to say side kicks wont budge unless they are forced. Such as, do you think fischer can move without Kobe's consent? ıf Dwight is as effective as he claims, he should have put his foot down and not let Hedo go to "İce"land. We ve all seen what happened while he was away.

I sitll think the finals team was much better in talentwise. It was crazy to break that team up.

Hedo can average 20 p's a game easily. However that ll mean less touches for Dwight. . Since the team is without a true PG, Hedo sacrifices from Stats and goes for the distributer role. Check out how much JRich makes and while at it, check out how productive he has been.

Hedo has a big reputation, unless he doesnt perform like Pierce or LeBron he is considered bad, lazy, fat etc. .

Take him out of this team. . and see what happens.

As a magic fan and as a Hedo fan I am so glad he is back. But if I were Hedo, I would have never come back to Orlando. Respect is something you earn, he has. He doesnt have an attitude problem, he is borderline and sometimes right on the spot tripple double player yet some couch potatoes think he is lazy and fat. This is the NBA, nobody starts with a lazy ass and nobdy gives the ball in the hands of a player who is over weight and doesnt deserve it, moreover gives top minutes. Those who criticize him and call him lazy, No D player should start watching baseball or something because they dont know jack S about basketball.

His game winning basket at the Denver game was **** but still everybody makes the "Fall A Part" Jameer the hero of the day. Not that I care but still kind of expect better judgement on your parts since this is one of the top forums in the league. It is not what it used to be I tell you that much.

I agree with True magic fan, you scare away people for no reason at all. Would I have done the same thing???? I would, without hesitation. But only at the age of 13 I would have attempted such low blows and some masturbation smelling attitude.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When Hedo is playing well, we're in a great position to succeed. The problem is, when Hedo's having a bad game he cant even be on the court. Its difficult for him to stay in front of anyone at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hedo is the poster-child for "feast or famine."

Thankfully, lately, he's been feasting, while Dwight has been beasting (don't make fun of me for that lame joke... because it's true). I just hope he can keep it up.

Ball.

• Upvote 1