Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Dwight Howard Enters MVP Discussion

Trending player: Dwight Howard, C, Orlando Magic

Quietly, the Magic's center has been climbing the league's statistical leaderboards. Howard's 26.61 PER now ranks him just decimal points behind NBA leader LeBron James of the Miami Heat (26.78). By Basketball Prospectus' wins above replacement metric, Howard has been better on a per-minute basis this season, though James has provided slightly more total value because of his minutes advantage.

Howard has surged during the month of February, averaging 27.3 points and 15.3 rebounds per game while shooting an impressive 67.3 percent from the field. According to WARP, Howard edged out LaMarcus Aldridge of the Portland Trail Blazers as the month's most valuable player (through games of Feb. 26).

Player Team Win % WARP

Dwight Howard ORL .812 3.3

Lamarcus POR .740 3.2

LeBron James MIA .757 3.0

Pau Gasol LAL .702 2.6

Kevin Love MIN .711 2.6

Dwyane Wade MIA .658 2.2

Kevin Durant OKC .663 2.0

Ramon Sessions CLE .675 1.9

Chauncey Billup DEN .712 1.9

Danny Granger IND .607 1.8

Behind his high-percentage shooting, Howard's true shooting percentage in the month of February has ranked third in the league. He's also slashed his turnover rate, showing growth in his post-up game that stems back to working with Hakeem Olajuwon on his moves last summer.

Howard isn't the only player who had an impressive month. Aldridge responded to being left off the Western Conference All-Star team by taking his game to another level, topping the 30-point mark five times and twice hitting for 40 or more. If coaches had to vote again today, Aldridge might just make the West roster. He would be unlikely to displace Gasol, however, after the Lakers' center bounced back from a quiet month of January. Other surprising names on the leaderboard include Cleveland's Ramon Sessions -- more on him in a moment -- and new Knick Chauncey Billups, who has been getting stronger as the season goes on instead of wearing down like he did a year ago.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=6166846

The whole thing is an insider article but this is the only part that related to Dwight. Those numbers for February are ridiculous.

showing growth in his post-up game that stems back to working with Hakeem Olajuwon on his moves last summer.

God, I hate when writers/reporters say this. But I guess if that's what it takes for him to gain respect, it is what it is..

Good article.

I think both guys owe all their improvement to Ken Jeong. Just sayin'.

omg is that u in ur avatar if so ur so cute wanna go out imy dad said i can use his car we can go to da movie watch just with it adam sandler lol ok

In relation to the topic at hand, it took them long enough to recognize that Dwight is a leading candidate for MVP. Normally, I wouldn't care what they thought, but these are the types of people who get votes, sadly.