Sign in to follow this  
The Ryan Anderbads

Has SVG failed the Magic? OR Management? OR players?

when howard is scoring easily the offense runs great. it is when he struggles that trouble starts. he forces outside his range and does not pass it. what happened to the penetrate and kick it out. ballmovement is the key. hedo and nelson try to do it on their own, quit passing, and they are not that good. svg must have more control over the shots these two are taking or sit them down.

Should we blow up the team for Mayo and Camby? I doubt we can get melo. I don't think we should but it's crossing my mind.

Do Mayo and Camby really fix our problems? You only trade for Mayo if you don't think we'll be able to re-sign J-Rich, and he really isn't much better, if at all than J-Rich is. Like trading a red apple for a green apple. The one hope is he is younger and could have room to grow, just not sure his potential is anything but a good shooter.

Camby would give us another big body, but the biggest problem with our matchup with Boston isn't a lack of bigs, it's the lack of perimeter scorer to create offense while they single cover Dwight. They always leave one man on Dwight and stay with our shooters, and we just can't score. We lost today because we scored 80 points, not because we didn't have enough big bodies. On defense I'm more worried with how we match up with LeBron and D-Wade, other than Q we don't have any perimeter guys with the size to match up with them and he's become a liability on offense.

I'm gonna keep saying it....IT IS NOT STAN'S FAULT.

What is he supposed to do? With the exception of Dwight we don't have anyone capable of consistently getting a good shot on their own, finishing at the rim, or getting to the line.

Anderson is a better younger version of Lewis. So he's basically a spot up three point shooter with size. But he's a better rebounder and more capable of getting second chance points than Lewis was. Not much of a post up threat though.

Hedo is a streaky shooter who thinks he is better than he is. He can be the most frustrating player in the world when he is taking those contested fading jumpers. He really isn't that good at creating his own shot and isn't good at finishing near the rim. His best asset to the team is his ability to make plays off pick and rolls, but against a team like the Celtics who defend the pick and roll perfectly, it's hard for him to be efficient.

J-Rich is the ideal score off the ball guard. He's good at spoting up and shooting off screens and can finish on fast breaks occasionally. But he can't take his man off the dribble, and if he does he isn't that good of a finisher. He's not very good at posting up either.

Jameer, Arenas, Redick, etc. are not gonna just carry the load offensively either. Think about it, who is the 2nd best player Dwight has played with in his career? Lewis? Carter? Turkoglu? Richardson? Nelson? Are any of those guys as good as Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, etc? We've never had a legit 2nd All Star next to Dwight, the fact we've been able to consistently win 50+ games, go the Finals, and two ECFs is a great accomplishment. It's because Stan has gotten this team to play good team defense and has recognized his player's talents and tries to fit the offense around that. If we aren't going to hit threes, we don't have anyone who can consistently break down the defense, take his man off the dribble and get to the basket to either finish, draw a foul, or kick out. Stop blaming Stan for not winning a title or our current struggles, he's gotten the most out of what he has on his roster. Some of you act like we have the most talented team in the league with no excuse for winning a title. What we have is a damn good team that has accomplished a lot these last few years, but without a second star, it's really hard for us to beat teams who two, three, or even four star caliber players. There is a reason nobody on our team except Dwight was even considered for the All Star game.

Maybe you are right. I think most of the blame falls on Otis Smith's shoulders. This areans trade is going to haunt the Magic for years, not to mention signing Duhon.

Really, how in the world does he think Magic can compete with no defensive player other than dwight?

Face it Dwight is now a one man team...period. The rest of the team are barely above average. Talent is being shipped out for overaged and overpaid players who are quite frankly just the wrong fit. Message to Devos management team can Otis ASAP and get someone as a gm who knows something about talent, trading and the salary cap. If you dont want your nice new arena empty when dwight leaves you better get some studs in here not a bunch of overpaid has beens.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is exactly SVGs fault. For 4th year in a row he is implementing the same strategy, same plays. Just check the boxscore vs Celtics. We took 24!!! three pointers and made only 3! And it will be always like this. This strategy will never work against quality teams. You can beat Sixers, Bobcats and even Hawks playing like that but you will never be able to compete with Celtics, Heat, Lakers and especially in playoffs, which was proved in the past 3 postseasons, when we were beaten by Pistons, Lakers and Celtics.

And don't blame Otis. When he signed career small forward Rashard Lewis when he was in his prime, SVG was playing him exclusively at PF, completely destroying his game. He had talented Ariza, who could actually take the damned ball to the rim and play a solid defense, but never played him, forcing him out of Orlando. Jason Richardson was playing great in Phoenix, now he is a shadow of himself.

Players not listening him, he can't motivate them, make them play harder, they are annoyed and it is clear during the time outs...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This is exactly SVGs fault. For 4th year in a row he is implementing the same strategy, same plays. Just check the boxscore vs Celtics. We took 24!!! three pointers and made only 3! And it will be always like this. This strategy will never work against quality teams. You can beat Sixers, Bobcats and even Hawks playing like that but you will never be able to compete with Celtics, Heat, Lakers and especially in playoffs, which was proved in the past 3 postseasons, when we were beaten by Pistons, Lakers and Celtics.

And don't blame Otis. When he signed career small forward Rashard Lewis when he was in his prime, SVG was playing him exclusively at PF, completely destroying his game. He had talented Ariza, who could actually take the damned ball to the rim and play a solid defense, but never played him, forcing him out of Orlando. Jason Richardson was playing great in Phoenix, now he is a shadow of himself.

Players not listening him, he can't motivate them, make them play harder, they are annoyed and it is clear during the time outs...

What if SVG started Lewis at SF and brought Hedo off the bench and we never got the production from Hedo we did and don't go to the Finals? You ever think of that? Nah, you're too busy trying to create a scapegoat because the Magic aren't living up to your expectations.

Not sure about your point on Ariza, yeah he's a good slasher, but he's never been a big offensive weapon and that was so long ago that it has absolutely nothing to do with this team right now.

J-Rich had better stats in Phoenix because he was a bigger part of their offense, and he had Nash setting him up. He's always been the same player. He's a guy who can score off screens and spot up, but can't take his man off the dribble and finish.

SVG getting hate is just absurd, he's gotten so much out of the talent he's had here over the years. Some of you act like the Magic have the best roster in the league that nobody can match up with. He's exceeded expectations from day one and has had the most successful run of any coach in franchise history but some of you want him fired because we aren't dominating the league with Dwight and a bunch of solid players when there is multiple teams in the league with 2-4 All Stars.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What if SVG started Lewis at SF and brought Hedo off the bench and we never got the production from Hedo we did and don't go to the Finals? You ever think of that?

I think it is obvious now that we only got to the Finals because Kevin Garnett got injured that year and not only him, Celtics another PF Leon Powe was also injured. That is why playing Lewis against them at PF that year was not suicidal. I hope you remember last year, how Celtics dominated us in ECF and how badly Rashard played...

You can have your own opinion, I have mine. I know the facts...I am repeating same thing again, 3 years in a row we were beaten by a stronger, taller, tougher teams-Pistons, Lakers, Celtics. They all were using the same strategy-single cover for Dwight, cover shooters on the perimeter. Did SVG learn anything? No. He started the season with Rashard at PF again and his team shooting 3s all game long.

Did you watch a game vs Boston? We took 24!!! 3 pointers, made 3! Dwight played great in the first half, then was completely forgotten in the second. I personally prefer Dwight to get the ball in the post and attack rather than shooting those 3s...But our coach is stubborn guy who wants his team to shoot 3 on every opportunity....

I think it is obvious now that we only got to the Finals because Kevin Garnett got injured that year and not only him, Celtics another PF Leon Powe was also injured. That is why playing Lewis against them at PF that year was not suicidal. I hope you remember last year, how Celtics dominated us in ECF and how badly Rashard played...

You can have your own opinion, I have mine. I know the facts...I am repeating same thing again, 3 years in a row we were beaten by a stronger, taller, tougher teams-Pistons, Lakers, Celtics. They all were using the same strategy-single cover for Dwight, cover shooters on the perimeter. Did SVG learn anything? No. He started the season with Rashard at PF again and his team shooting 3s all game long.

Did you watch a game vs Boston? We took 24!!! 3 pointers, made 3! Dwight played great in the first half, then was completely forgotten in the second. I personally prefer Dwight to get the ball in the post and attack rather than shooting those 3s...But our coach is stubborn guy who wants his team to shoot 3 on every opportunity....

Obviously Stan made an adjustment at half time telling the team to not go to Dwight. It was a calculated risk that didn't pay off.