Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Orlando Magic VS Chicago Bulls 8:00 EST January 28th 2011

How difficult is it for Stan to say to Turk during this game "stop taking those fade away shots / poor three point attempts, and drive it to the hoop"

???

I do not think that difficult, yet we still see the same old ****. I agree that the team would be worse off if he restricted players, but when your shots not falling and the games on the line... why not enforce a strict take it to the hoop / pass it to dwight / only shoot open jumpshot, gameplan?

That's easier said than done. Turk isn't a guy that can get to the rim at will, Chicago was playing some pretty good defense in the 4th as well. The shooting open jumpshots deal is what I'm talking about. I'm almost 100% sure Hedo and Arenas believe those awful shots they love to take are good shots, there's no other reason why they keep taking them.

Really though, I think as a coach you have to have a line drawn on how much you restrict a player without taking away his confidence/willingness to be aggressive. By no means am I saying Stan's perfect at it but we have to remember this is Hedo and Arenas. These two have been taking terrible shots all of their careers. . . Is it really that easy to just tell them not to shoot??

I think that while it's inexcusable that they kept shooting those shots, it has very little to do with Stan. . . it's more of a knock on their basketball IQ than anything else

Bad defensive decisions by SVG. We were leading after the halftime and in the 3rd quarter we started to double Boozer on every possesion, Bulls started to move the ball and ended up making 3 three pointers and couple of jumpers ALL wide open. Why to double Boozer? Why not to try play him one on one? Howard could do that and Bass could be switched to Thomas or Asik, Bass himself could try to guard Carlos.

Then we started to double Rose and Deng...come on, if no one on the team can play one on one defense then there are no chances in the playoffs...

• Upvote 1

Bad defensive decisions by SVG. We were leading after the halftime and in the 3rd quarter we started to double Boozer on every possesion, Bulls started to move the ball and ended up making 3 three pointers and couple of jumpers ALL wide open. Why to double Boozer? Why not to try play him one on one? Howard could do that and Bass could be switched to Thomas or Asik, Bass himself could try to guard Carlos.

Then we started to double Rose and Deng...come on, if no one on the team can play one on one defense then there are no chances in the playoffs...

On two of the possessions where Boozer got doubled was actually because (and i'm not kidding about this) Arenas literally got lost on a screen and ended up on the other side of the court where Boozer was already backing down. . . the first time led to that wide open 3 by Deng.

As far as Dwight not guarding Boozer, the problem with that is that Boozer brings Dwight out of the paint which means either a wide open rim for Rose or a wide open Boozer (if Dwight goes to help) from midrange.

In other news, Gortat made a 3 tonight against the Czzz.

:(

I just saw that. The man is beasting. 15 pts on 8 shots, 7 rebounds, and 1 block in 13 minutes?? GOAT

I just saw that. The man is beasting. 15 pts on 8 shots, 7 rebounds, and 1 block in 13 minutes?? GOAT

How is Lopez even starting still?

Completely agree. I'm on board with this strat early in games as Orlando did against Scola & Houston, because it doesn't allow an effective post player to establish a rhythm early, and it takes a team out of it's natural flow early. Which is exactly what Chicago did against Orlando by defending the perimeter in the 1st half and then compacting the D in the 3rd Qtr. (same thing Phil Jackson and Boston do to Orlando). But, with a lead in the 2nd half, Boozer has to hurt me bad before I start doubling him and giving weak shooters wide open looks. I also have to question SVG criticizing players for the 3 point shots he created with the double teams. Smacks of taking your game plan backfiring out on the players. I would be far more upset with the team completely unraveling in the 3rd Qtr. offensively. End of each half was a thing of beauty, looking for Dwight, reposting Dwight. 3rd Qtr., guys got selfish, started pressing, and taking bad & contested 3's.

There's a game plan that's very effective against this team. Give Dwight all the shots he can get, defend the 3 point line, and slow down the game. More than anything, it exploits the lack of discipline Orlando has on the offensive end. They inevitably abandon Dwight and force up bad shots.

• Upvote 2