Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Stein: Magic interested in T. Murphy if bought out by G.S.

He didn't pull those guys all from GS though, so it isn't like he is only making moves with one team. He's traded with with the Nicks, Pistons, Rockets, Wizards, Suns, Lakers, and presumably dealt with the Mavericks on some level with the whole Bass/Gortat episode.

I don't think he's scared of talking with teams he isn't comfortable with, but it's obvious he prefers adding players he is comfortable with. Not just former Warriors, remember he really loved Duhon the last time he was a FA, but he ultimately chose the Knicks so he could start.

That stuff doesn't really bother me though. I am concerned that Otis doesn't really appear to have a long term plan for this franchise, he seems to just take it year to year and do all he can to get the best right now. That's fine if we get a title out of it, but I'm not sure where this franchise is headed at the moment.

I don't think he's scared of talking with teams he isn't comfortable with, but it's obvious he prefers adding players he is comfortable with. Not just former Warriors, remember he really loved Duhon the last time he was a FA, but he ultimately chose the Knicks so he could start.

That stuff doesn't really bother me though. I am concerned that Otis doesn't really appear to have a long term plan for this franchise, he seems to just take it year to year and do all he can to get the best right now. That's fine if we get a title out of it, but I'm not sure where this franchise is headed at the moment.

Well, it's entirely possible that he feels his chances of winning a title go out the door with Dwight, and that Dwight leaves if they don't win a title. So, in that instance, he is probably focused way more on short term than long term. Funny thing is, making those moves to try to keep Dwight and win now can end up being the reason Dwight leaves (no flexibility to reload when certain players become available).

The good news is that the Nicks might be bringing Thomas back, so maybe Otis can send Arenas off to NY and get something decent in return, while also giving us future flexibility! When Thomas is in a front office, there is always hope. Just not for the Nicks.

Unless you think you can buy him out cheaper than you can buy out the other guys, and given the fact that Murphy knows Orlando is interested, wouldn't he take a lower buyout to play on a contender? Also, there is probably more to the deal than just swapping expiring deals.

If i'm reading this correctly: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q62 then since it's after january 10th, his contract is guaranteed and he would be given his full salary.

The only time this didnt occur was the John Starks case where he essentially was bought out for $0.

Maybe they can still buy him out but have his contract still count against the cap? This seems contradictory with a lot of other cap rules.

If i'm reading this correctly: http://members.cox.n...larycap.htm#Q62 then since it's after january 10th, his contract is guaranteed and he would be given his full salary.

The only time this didnt occur was the John Starks case where he essentially was bought out for $0.

Maybe they can still buy him out but have his contract still count against the cap? This seems contradictory with a lot of other cap rules.

A player can take a lower buyout if they choose to.

A player can take a lower buyout if they choose to.

i know that, it just doesn't seem right with players who are expiring. It doesn't really state if Starks changed the rule or if you must take $0 for it to be in effect.

Honestly People What is Troy Murphy going to do? He cant even get on the floor for a sorry New Jersey team… His hay days in Golden state are long behind him… Troy Murphy isnt going to help this team worth a Poooo….

by MagicMichael on Feb 22, 2011 9:18 AM EST

He can't get on the floor for New Jersey because a) he was hurt and B) Avery Johnson is a clown who'd prefer to play Kris Humphries.

by Evan Dunlap (PSP) on Feb 22, 2011 10:55 AM EST

Paul (Houston)

If Troy Murphy lands in Orlando, does it make a difference? It seems to me that consistently knocking down shots as they have the past couple seasons is the bigger issue than lacking frontcourt depth...

David Thorpe (12:09 PM)

Yes, I think it would help, though Ryan Anderson is very good.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37141/nba-insider-david-thorpe

Hollinger's take on both Kris Humphries and Troy Murphy before this season started....Humphries in his 7th season and Murphy in his 9th :

+ Quick, aggressive power forward. Can score but a selfish offensive player.

+ Short for a 4 and struggles on D. Picks up pushing fouls trying to guard post.

+ Good driver who draws fouls but struggles to finish at rim. Good rebounder.

Perhaps this vignette from Humphries' time in Dallas will offer some insight into how he thinks on the court: In an early-season game against Minnesota, Dallas teammate Jason Terry found himself isolated against Eurostiff Oleksiy Pecherov -- a total mismatch. All the other Mavs got out of the way … except for Humphries, who flashed to the low post calling for the ball.

No, Humphries doesn't totally get it. He'll break the offense to search out shots and after six years in the league, he still doesn't know to use an arm bar to defend the post. That's unfortunate because he has a lot to offer. He can run the floor and crash the boards, ranking sixth among power forwards in rebound rate and ninth in free throw attempts per field goal attempt.

Alas, he's a career 43.8 percent shooter, which is pitiful for a frontcourt player who never shoots beyond 15 feet. His poor shot selection is a major factor in that percentage, and it's those mental shortcomings that prevent him from evolving into a rotation player.

+ Lefty sharpshooter who loves to spot up at top of key for 3-pointers.

+ Superior below-rim rebounder who gets great position. Invisible on D otherwise.

+ Subpar athlete. Will shot fake and drive lane but can't finish in traffic.

OK, Murphy isn't going to make the All-Defense team. But in virtually every other respect, he's a heck of a player. Last season he ranked among the top 10 power forwards in rebound rate, pure point rating and true shooting percentage while averaging a double-double for a second straight season. That's a doozy of a combination and explains why he's a quality starter despite the porous D.

Once again, Murphy was the unquestioned master of the straight-on 3 from the top of the key. Last season he lobbed 175 shots from that range; the next closest player, Toronto's Andrea Bargnani, took 109. I would struggle to name any other category where a player had that wide a lead on second place. Since this arrangement is unique to Jim O'Brien's offense in Indiana, I'm interested to see how much Johnson borrows from the Pacers' playbook to get Murphy his favored shot.

It should be noted that Humphries fg% of .526 this season is by far a career high.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/1013/troy-murphy

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/2433/kris-humphries

For those that are interested I e-mailed Rusty Simmons of the San Francisco Chronicle :

My name is John Brown. A big Magic fan from Central Florida.

Any word on what the Warriors brass is gonna do with Mr. Murphy ???

Dwight needs some bigman help if you guys are gonna buy him out.

RUSTY SIMMONS :

They're trying to buy him out, but he's not playing along just yet.

Much appreciation.....if the buyout is completed do you think he'll sign with the Celtics or Magic ???

Initially I thought signs pointed towards us....but the media is siding with Boston....he and Otis have a past relationship when he was with the Warriors organization.

John Brown

RUSTY SIMMONS :

I thought Boston, but they're making their moves while Murphy remains under contract and inactive. He might miss out on the deal with the Celtics.

Go Magic !!!

• Upvote 1