Sign in to follow this  
ma

Good analysis of magic's balanced offense

Are there any other teams in the NBA with a similar pie chart in balance offense?

I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head.

My first thought would be Boston. Not as widespread, but more potent. They have six guys averaging double figures right now. The only thing we have over them atm is our bench. I think having Turk will be great for that match up, though. And if Dwight stays out of foul trouble, I'd like to meet them in the ECF. It could be one of the most exciting (and emotional) playoff series' this team has been in since the '09 run. As long as we bring it come playoff time (ref. last year's ecf choke).

I can't believe anyone is complaining about Arenas, seriously our second unit is playing a million times better than prior to the trade and we are now getting consistent efficient production from the starting PF slot for 48 minutes. The production of this team is now better distributed for an effective rotation for 48 minutes

Arenas since the trade :

• 9.9 ppg 4.4 apg 2.7 rpg ....that's very nice production from a back up pg and those numbers will likely improve as his familiarity improves
  • Def Rtng is 100 which is almost 10 points down from his career avg - diff system of course but still a nice drop
  • thats playing 23 mpg limiting the wear and tear on Nelson and also making the best pg 1-2 punch in the league

Duhon:

• 3.5 ppg 2.8 apg 1.2 rpg Def Rtg 106

Bass post trade vs Lewis pre trade:

• Bass 11.5 ppg 5.1 rpg .44 bpg .538 fg% 102 Def Rtg .582 TS%
  • Lewis 12.2 ppg 4.2 rpg .40 bpg .419 fg% 102 Def Rtg .524 TS%

I can't believe anyone is complaining about Arenas, seriously our second unit is playing a million times better than prior to the trade and we are now getting consistent efficient production from the starting PF slot for 48 minutes. The production of this team is now better distributed for an effective rotation for 48 minutes

Arenas since the trade :

• 9.9 ppg 4.4 apg 2.7 rpg ....that's a very nice production from a back up pg and those numbers will likely improve as his familiarity improves
  • Def Rtng is 100 which is almost 10 points down from his career avg - diff system of course but still a nice drop
  • thats playing 23 mpg limiting the wear and tear on Nelson and also making the best pg 1-2 punch in the league

Duhon:

• 3.5 ppg 2.8 apg 1.2 rpg Def Rtg 106

Bass post trade vs Lewis pre trade:

• Bass 11.5 ppg 5.1 rpg .44 bpg .538 fg% 102 Def Rtg
  • Lewis 12.2 ppg 4.2 rpg .40 bpg .419 fg% 102 Def Rtg

The concern is that Arenas needs 10.4 FGAs to get his 9.9 points, and that's atrocious. A guy shouldn't be taking over 10 FGAs a game when he's shooting just .362

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As always, it's incredibly fun and interesting to have people ready and willing to tell me what I think about things.

This is not the straightforward answer I was hoping for but whatever! Let's leave it here before someone starts posting images from Dawson's Creek.

For the record:

Eyriq the Cookie, on 07 January 2011 - 12:03 PM, said:

When do we start becoming concerned with Arenas?

DOM

Well for me, it was when they announced we were trading for Gilbert Arenas.

How this applies directly to judging the trade is beyond me. Eyriq was discussing Arenas' efficiently that was discussed in the article. Arenas has shot inefficiently over his entire career, so DOM's comment reflects those concerns. It does not knock the trade itself or provide a Shard vs. Arenas comparison. Stop reading so far into a simple comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The concern is that Arenas needs 10.4 FGAs to get his 9.9 points, and that's atrocious. A guy shouldn't be taking over 10 FGAs a game when he's shooting just .362

who cares - he is not shooting us out of games - but rather the results are a second unit that is way more aggressive with an offensive pace that is much faster now and putting up more shots in general and while it would be a nice bonus to see him get that percentage up there is no question the second unit commandeered by Arenas has shown to be explosive - enough to build cushion leads while Nelson and Howard have sat and except for losing some ground in the Bucks game, they have yet to lose ground or a lead - which is something that is common for most second units.

Arenas has confiscated the magic bench for public or military use?

Seriously though, when acquiring a player, it's normal, sane, and completely rational to be concerned with that players shortfalls. You guys really need to try harded unless you just want to ***** a the Alpha Quasar like a bunch of little kids.

This is not the straightforward answer I was hoping for but whatever! Let's leave it here before someone starts posting images from Dawson's Creek.

At this point, I've written so much about what I think of the trades, I just don't see any incentive to repeat myself. That might not be the answer you'd like, but it's the most accurate one.

And I refuse to apologize to anyone for posting jamesvandermemes gifs. Those things are hilarious.

• Upvote 1