Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Why Arenas played over Jameer in the 4th...

Honestly, I'm deeply offended when people accuse me of a practice as abhorrent as racism.

I mean, yes, it's true that I hate all people from Turkey.

But that's just because I hate everyone.

Note: I can't believe that I have to explain this, but the above is what's known as "a joke".

I laughed a little inside.

But, it's cool man. Everyone's created equal IMO.

I don't really care what other people think. I mean, if they're openly racist, I'll try to change their mind but if they happen to keep their views, I just focus on how I treat other ppl. Race doesn't matter, and between humans, races actually don't exist. One race is the human race.

You believe in that Quasar?

I laughed a little inside.

But, it's cool man. Everyone's created equal IMO.

I don't really care what other people think. I mean, if they're openly racist, I'll try to change their mind but if they happen to keep their views, I just focus on how I treat other ppl. Race doesn't matter, and between humans, races actually don't exist. One race is the human race.

You believe in that Quasar?

One of the nice things, IMO, about an internet forum like this one is that it exists entirely as a meritocracy. I don't know anyone's race or religion unless they tell me. Until that time, everyone is on a level playing field, at least in the eyes of any one person. That's awesome. That's the ideal. It's, well, unfortunate that people looked at things I'd written and read into them things that weren't there. But ultimately, I refuse to lose sleep over something I never said or implied.

As far as off the internet, I've found that the best thing you can do with a racist is hold them accountable for the things they say, and call them on it when they're repeating falsehoods. In the end, though, you're not responsible for them. If they're unable or unwilling to change and learn to be more accepting of different people, that's immensely disappointing, but it's not your responsibility.

As for the one race=human race thing, honestly, everytime I hear some version of that, I think of this comic strip(Warning: bad language ahead) http://www.asofterworld.com/index.php?id=478

I don't think it's possible to separate out so completely what makes us different. That doesn't mean, though, that I don't believe those differences are insurmountable; I just think that those differences shouldn't be ignored. As a white guy born to an upper middle class family in Atlanta, I'll never truly be able to relate to the life experience of, lets say, a child of Mexican immigrants. Ours will most likely be a different life. And that's fine. That we're not the same doesn't mean we can't find things to relate to each other over, that we can't break bread together, that we can't be friends, or anything else. But I think the one race the human race idea tends to be naive in how it relates to real race relation issues.

That was way more than I intended to write about this.

• Upvote 3

One of the nice things, IMO, about an internet forum like this one is that it exists entirely as a meritocracy. I don't know anyone's race or religion unless they tell me. Until that time, everyone is on a level playing field, at least in the eyes of any one person. That's awesome. That's the ideal. It's, well, unfortunate that people looked at things I'd written and read into them things that weren't there. But ultimately, I refuse to lose sleep over something I never said or implied.

As far as off the internet, I've found that the best thing you can do with a racist is hold them accountable for the things they say, and call them on it when they're repeating falsehoods. In the end, though, you're not responsible for them. If they're unable or unwilling to change and learn to be more accepting of different people, that's immensely disappointing, but it's not your responsibility.

As for the one race=human race thing, honestly, everytime I hear some version of that, I think of this comic strip(Warning: bad language ahead) http://www.asofterworld.com/index.php?id=478

I don't think it's possible to separate out so completely what makes us different. That doesn't mean, though, that I don't believe those differences are insurmountable; I just think that those differences shouldn't be ignored. As a white guy born to an upper middle class family in Atlanta, I'll never truly be able to relate to the life experience of, lets say, a child of Mexican immigrants. Ours will most likely be a different life. And that's fine. That we're not the same doesn't mean we can't find things to relate to each other over, that we can't break bread together, that we can't be friends, or anything else. But I think the one race the human race idea tends to be naive in how it relates to real race relation issues.

tl;dr People of different racial backgrounds are certainly different from each other but not necessarily better because of it

As for the one race=human race thing, honestly, everytime I hear some version of that, I think of this comic strip(Warning: bad language ahead) http://www.asofterwo...ndex.php?id=478

Great post.

I'm glad that you did. Although this is a basketball related forum, I like talking about life in general. You speak your mind and in a well-thought manner, I enjoy reading posts like this.

We should all get some glasses of cold coconut milk sometime or something I dunno whatdya say?

You really like coconut milk :shard:. Is that coconut milk winning streak still going?

And yes, despite my hatred for coconut, I'd gladly share some cold drinks with Quasar, yourself, and any other member on the board.

You just took all of the joy out of me jokingly calling you a racist for the forseeable future. I hope you are happy.

Seriously though, well said.