Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

Questions for Orlando residents

Like others have said, I think you can rent a car with a GPS already in it which will save the cost of buying one and a trip to Best Buy where electronics are generally more expensive than you can find them elsewhere.

As far as sites to see, I would take your family into downtown for an afternoon if for no other reason than to walk around Lake Eola (the lake and fountain that they show as a segue into and out of commercials during games). It's a man made lake in the middle of downtown with Orlando's original tourist attraction (the fountain) from the time before Disney.

I'd also suggest a day trip to one of the beaches (even though the water will be cold that time of year) to experience it. The beaches of Florida are extraordinaly wide and long which makes for some spectacular scenery if you get away from the skylines of condos and hotels.

I would avoid the Florida Mall because it's kind of in a rough are of town and is generally packed to the gills. The Millenia Mall has most of the stores that are in Florida plus all of the high end stores. It is also in a not so great part of town but the mall itself is very clean and feels much more secure.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to let me know if you need any help while you're here.

Thanks!

Reason I mentioned GPS is I've been thinking about buying one for a lone time, but never did because they are so much more expensive here. I might just buy one in the States for less than half the price, use it there and take it home with me.

Lake Eola is one of the places I want to see. After seeing it in so many broadcasts over the past two decades, I can't skip it.

So less amount of shops to go through if Florida Mall isn't necessary :D

Man I can't wait. The one certain moment I am going mad over is walking through the entrances of the Center (never got to see the Arena! :( ) and into the bowl.. there will be angelic choir singing in my ears. Twenty years of "I WANNA BE THERE" excitement built into few steps.

Where to hang out to see the players leave the arena then? :D

I was in the US last summer and went to visit the Universal Studios. It sucks, except for that HUGE rollercoaster that I couldn't get into because I was with the ****s the day before. If you have little kids they may like it, but it's a bore.

I got really bummed because I couldn't visit the Amway Center, I spent most of the time in West Palm Beach (where I bought my D12 jersey) and Miami (got to see the Heat stadium :svgsad: )

It was really hot (July) but it may be better in February

Good luck and take pictures!

Ah, yes... Questions.

2. Is there a Best Buy store at the arrival terminal at Sanford airport? Thinking about buying a GPS gizmothing in the States, so if I'm renting a car, the gizmo might come in handy from day one.

3. What places do you recommend checking out? Fam wants to see Universal Studios, Disney, Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia. All I'm focused on is that thing with the big ol' scoreboard, House of Stuff.

5. Are there some chunky spiders or some nasty bugs jumping around at that time? I got aracnophobia! :panicworker:

6. Am I in danger of running into Jareth Cutestory at Disney and having this awkward conversation about something I don't understand?

-Double check on the GPS's, not sure but I think some are only loaded with US maps and you have to pay to upgrade to world maps.

-I'm not a big fan of Disney in general but some of thier parks are better than others. How old are your kids? If they are a little older the Disney main park is very "kiddie" they may get bored with the weak rides there. Plus if you want to have any alcoholic beverages you are outta luck, it's the only dry park. Universal is good, I would get the 2 park pass there, Islands of Adventure (the 2nd park there) has some good roller coasters and the new Harry Potter Land.

-Bugs....it shouldn't be too bad in Feb, it's cooler so the mosquitos shouldn't be out.

-I wouldn't worry about running into Jareth, he never leaves his home.

Let us know what area of town you will be staying in also. Depending on where you stay there are better and most likely cheaper restaurants available than the ones in the tourist areas by the hotels. There are also other little things in the area that you can do that are low cash type things. For instance depending on when you go to Universal they have a "Mardi Gras" going on in Feb and March. On certain nights they have a concert at the end of the evening, usually with pretty decent acts. It doesn't cost anything extra so you get a bonus. I think you mentioned before that you are a car guy. There is a place near Disney that has a classic car show on Friday or Sat nights with all kinds of old muscle and cruising cars. It's free and they have an area near that with fair type rides and junk food.

HCT offered up his services, I would also do the same just let us know when you will be around, what type of activities or food you like and what area of town you will be around and we can definatley help you get the most out of what you are going to spend while you are here.

Thanks Marc. I'll sure ask a lot when I'm there hah

I'll be in Eagle Creek, if I remember the name correctly.

Yes! Cars. Cars cars cars :D I'm a big exotic and american muscle car nut so any pointers would be awesome :D

Thanks Marc. I'll sure ask a lot when I'm there hah

I'll be in Eagle Creek, if I remember the name correctly.

Yes! Cars. Cars cars cars :D I'm a big exotic and american muscle car nut so any pointers would be awesome :D

I think that is down closer to the theme parks. Ton's of different places down there with things to do. That car show is at a place in Kissimmee called Old town. Lots of restored muscle cars, really cool stuff.

Some of the restaurants in the tourist areas don't always have the best food or service. You want to hit the places where the locals go, you will pay less and the service will be good. I'll see if I can find a list of the different attractions in the area, there are smaller ones, like Gatorland for instance, that don't cost much, they are fun to do and won't take an entire day to do them.

One thing you can do for a chuckle while exploring downtown is to go and take a look at the Amway Arena to experience just how different it is from the new Center. I drive down I4 pretty much on a daily basis and shake my head everytime at how much of an upgrade the new arena is.

It's really exciting that you're finally getting this opportunity, I know it will be an awesome experience. I still remember the first time I saw the Magic play in person and I was 5... I can only imagine how fulfilling it will be for you after all these years.

Addi check some of these out-

Drive a racecar!

List of fun things to do

Some of those on that list are seasonal so you may not be able to do them, some are also in Tampa which is a little further south of Orlando. There is a Salvidor Dahli Museum down in Tampa that is supposed to be pretty cool.

Kennedy Space Center is pretty cool and has a really interesting tour. Discovery Cove at Sea World is expensive but, you get to swim with Dolphins and Stingrays (although it may be cold there). If you want to hit a beach I would try to go to Clearwater, Lido Beach, or Sieta Key. They are a little further to drive but they are also MUCH nicer looking than some of the other ones.

If you see anything on that list that looks interesting I'm sure at least one of us here has visited it and can tell you if it's worth it or not.

I think that is down closer to the theme parks. Ton's of different places down there with things to do. That car show is at a place in Kissimmee called Old town. Lots of restored muscle cars, really cool stuff.

Some of the restaurants in the tourist areas don't always have the best food or service. You want to hit the places where the locals go, you will pay less and the service will be good. I'll see if I can find a list of the different attractions in the area, there are smaller ones, like Gatorland for instance, that don't cost much, they are fun to do and won't take an entire day to do them.

Old Town has good Go-Karts.

i'm not from orlando but i have half of my family in fla. A few years ago when vist my dad he would take me 2 some magic games and i loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway hope u have fun and have a happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I was actually going to ask this, what car rentals there are at Sanford. I will most definately go as I planned, rent a car. Some people I know were saying just take a taxi to go around. Didn't sound like a good idea.

If it were for only one trip then I'd say sure but your gonna be here for a good two weeks, you will save more money in the long run. Just to go from Orlando Sanford International all the way to downtown Orlando will cost you well over a 100 dollars.

1. Are taxis expensive there or should I go on with my plan on renting a car? Going about in a taxi vs. rental? Rent and likewise with a GPS is possible so check that out

2. Is there a Best Buy store at the arrival terminal at Sanford airport? Thinking about buying a GPS gizmothing in the States, so if I'm renting a car, the gizmo might come in handy from day one. If you want to check out a Best Buy for things besides a GPS you can check out their site for the nearest one wherever you're staying.

3. What places do you recommend checking out? Fam wants to see Universal Studios, Disney, Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia. All I'm focused on is that thing with the big ol' scoreboard, House of Stuff. All of those are good places to go family wise. The Florida Mall ins't exactly in the middle of the ghetto so I'm not sure why it was mentioned as a bad area but its worth going to for shopping.

4. What kind of weather can I expect in February? What Jareth said.

5. Are there some chunky spiders or some nasty bugs jumping around at that time? I got aracnophobia! No depends on what kind of place you stay at though if clean then no worries.

6. Am I in danger of running into Jareth Cutestory at Disney and having this awkward conversation about something I don't understand? N/A...lol

7. Anything you'd like to point out, advice or other recommendations? Get to the arena a little early I'd say be in downtown around 5:30 and check out the scenes outside and inside the area. Enjoy the game and arena! Also, the prime outlets off of International Drive is a good place for shopping too. I-Drive itself is a sort of an attraction.