Sign in to follow this  
Magic Fan 4 Life

Gilbert Arenas: "I don't want to start. This team is too talented."

Ahh...

The PG controversy again. I'm just glad we have these assets.

The only point guard controvery that exists is the one being manufactured on this forum. I agree about the assets though.

In SVG's post game press conference last night he was quoted as saying something along the lines of:

(paraphrasing)we have 4 guys and 3 starting spots, could it change? absolutely. But regardless of the lineup, each of those players is going to play ~30mpg. Gilbert can play multiple positions and I like his utility off the bench to play where our weak point is in that given night. (/paraphrase)

Basically, everyone takes his "could it change? absolutely" line out of context. He's saying Gilbert could possibly start at the 1 or 2. But until SVG gets a solid grasp of this team, our starting lineup won't change. Gilbert gives us a spark off the bench and can play any of the guard positions if foul trouble or mismatches occurs. Regardless of starting, he's still going to put in starters minutes. There's really no point in playing up an issue when there isn't an issue to begin with. Like I said before, I don't see Jameer getting benched unless there is a drastic difference between the two.

Do I think that Arenas is better than Jameer at running the offense? Yes. Should he replace Jameer in the current lineup? No. Jameer fits more with the first unit since he can play off the ball with Hedo. Arenas running the second unit makes me not afraid to see the formerly "god awful" bench lineup. However, I would like to see Arenas play a bit more with J-Rich so hopefully he gets some time on the floor with him.

Do I think that Arenas is better than Jameer at running the offense? Yes. Should he replace Jameer in the current lineup? No. Jameer fits more with the first unit since he can play off the ball with Hedo. Arenas running the second unit makes me not afraid to see the formerly "god awful" bench lineup. However, I would like to see Arenas play a bit more with J-Rich so hopefully he gets some time on the floor with him.

There's a little bit of truth to Jameer in the above however in watching Arenas at the game last night, he clearly ran this team better than Jameer. He initiates the offense much quicker. He pushes the ball and more importantly, is able to see the floor and pass the ball up in the right spot on the break. Thus the significant increase in fast break points.

Why he actually fits better than Jameer with Hedo is when he is pushing the ball up and is stopped by a defender, he is able to kick out to Hedo. Hedo will shoot the 3 but the valuable thing that Hedo does is pass. A quick pass from Arenas and a second quick pass from Hedo, usually leads to a wide open 3 from someone like Richardson or JJ. They did this a number of times on the floor last night and the Spurs had no answer for it. It was amazing to watch that ball movement between the two of them. Jameers good but not that good.

I think that Arenas will get more time with JRich on the floor because I think that JRich is going to get more minutes than anybody other than Dwight. He's averaged 35 mpg for his career, so it's very possible.

There's a little bit of truth to Jameer in the above however in watching Arenas at the game last night, he clearly ran this team better than Jameer. He initiates the offense much quicker. He pushes the ball and more importantly, is able to see the floor and pass the ball up in the right spot on the break. Thus the significant increase in fast break points.

Why he actually fits better than Jameer with Hedo is when he is pushing the ball up and is stopped by a defender, he is able to kick out to Hedo. Hedo will shoot the 3 but the valuable thing that Hedo does is pass. A quick pass from Arenas and a second quick pass from Hedo, usually leads to a wide open 3 from someone like Richardson or JJ. They did this a number of times on the floor last night and the Spurs had no answer for it. It was amazing to watch that ball movement between the two of them. Jameers good but not that good.

Hmmm, pretty good point/observation. I don't know if it would affect the starting lineup negatively if Arenas started, but I think it would affect the bench negatively.

Arenas would do a much better job running the 2nd unit than Jameer imo. The bench needs good ball movement in order to get clean looks since they don't always have Dwight to just dump it into. Jameer can't do that as well as Arenas, and Jameer can't pick up the pace like Arenas either.

But then, maybe I'm just biased because Jameer has been falling down my favorite Magic players list the past 2 weeks. His defense (or lack of) has been pissing me off lately.

Hmmm, pretty good point/observation. I don't know if it would affect the starting lineup negatively if Arenas started

It would.

but I think it would affect the bench negatively.

It would.

Arenas would do a much better job running the 2nd unit than Jameer imo. The bench needs good ball movement in order to get clean looks since they don't always have Dwight to just dump it into. Jameer can't do that as well as Arenas, and Jameer can't pick up the pace like Arenas either.

It's not just about that. Arenas doesn't fit the starting lineup like Jameer does. Jameer doesn't force awful shots like Arenas and can play off the ball, something Arenas can't do. Jameer may not push the ball as hard but it's not like that is championship-style basketball. If the team is going to do that, it's gonna have to switch between the two (oh, and Jameer DID push the ball last night. Some people are expecting him to push the ball like it's a fastbreak on deadballs, which is flat out stupid).

But then, maybe I'm just biased because Jameer has been falling down my favorite Magic players list the past 2 weeks. His defense (or lack of) has been pissing me off lately.

He has always been like this, not sure why people are so outraged by it now, but it might have to do with the fact that fans are running out of scapegoats and since no one wants to blame the new players (particularly the first two games) and there wasn't much to complain about last night, they have to come up with something.

Oh, and Arenas is a terrible defender. At least a lot of Nelson's problems defensively are understandable and justifiable (lack of length/average athleticism). Arenas has those things but just has no discipline defensively and lacks fundamentals, something you won't teach a 29 year old. Howard will make him look not-so-awful like he does with most Magic players, but let's not pretend he's some kind of upgrade over Jameel defensively.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Arenas is a dangerous player when he is slashing, passing and shooting the ball well.....

Nelson is a dangerous player when he is slashing, passing and shooting the ball well....

Having one of those players on the floor is tough, you usually have a D12 and Turk paring going on at the same time.

Imagine having both players on the floor, Nelson and Arenas with D12 and Turk.... With that group, you have shooters, slashers and passers. Man defense wont help what so ever, because of our pick and roll's (one of the best in the NBA). Zone defense doesnt work so well, because we have slashers and pure shooters... So what do you do?

Thats why I think its silly to not stack our squad when the time comes, like playing Miami. Speed is a great counter move to size, its the main reason why Don Nelson loved small ball, he had speed. Also with those guys playing at the same time, defense's cannot sleep or be step behind... So Lebron, Wade and Bosh or Kobe, Artest and Gasol wont have time to rest on defense, that effort will effect their offense.... after all with the great players... you want them to "WORK", no rest.

Besides, why would you want any "ALL-STAR" player sitting on the bench when the game is on the line.

Nelson - All Star

Arenas - All Star

Dwight - All Star

Turk - All Star "Shafted"

That would be perfect but in this game you have to defence also. Nelson+Arenas is not what I would call the best backcourt for defence. We are not the phoenix suns who tries to outscore opponents, we may give up close to a 100points a game but we definetly dont want to give up more.

That would be perfect but in this game you have to defence also. Nelson+Arenas is not what I would call the best backcourt for defence. We are not the phoenix suns who tries to outscore opponents, we may give up close to a 100points a game but we definetly dont want to give up more.

but... but... but. . . it's fun to watch!!!!

It would.

It would.

It's not just about that. Arenas doesn't fit the starting lineup like Jameer does. Jameer doesn't force awful shots like Arenas and can play off the ball, something Arenas can't do. Jameer may not push the ball as hard but it's not like that is championship-style basketball. If the team is going to do that, it's gonna have to switch between the two (oh, and Jameer DID push the ball last night. Some people are expecting him to push the ball like it's a fastbreak on deadballs, which is flat out stupid).

He has always been like this, not sure why people are so outraged by it now, but it might have to do with the fact that fans are running out of scapegoats and since no one wants to blame the new players (particularly the first two games) and there wasn't much to complain about last night, they have to come up with something.

Oh, and Arenas is a terrible defender. At least a lot of Nelson's problems defensively are understandable and justifiable (lack of length/average athleticism). Arenas has those things but just has no discipline defensively and lacks fundamentals, something you won't teach a 29 year old. Howard will make him look not-so-awful like he does with most Magic players, but let's not pretend he's some kind of upgrade over Jameel defensively.

Arenas is an upgrade over Jameer on defense. Neither one will ever get a vote for defensive player of the year, but, like you said, because of Jameer's lack of length and average athleticism , he will never be any better than what he is now. Arenas has length and athleticism, and has never played for a defensive minded coach like Stan. I actually agree with you that Nelson should start, but the reason is because he will never be a spark off the bench like Arenas will. You were adamant about your displeasure when we acquired Arenas and it's almost like you want to see him fail so that you can say "I told you so". Lighten up on the guy and appreciate what he is bringing to this team. It's all good, brother.

• Upvote 2