Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Earl Clark's Rookie Option... {updt on post #22}

... was not picked up by the Suns; meaning, he's an UFA next summer. How do you think/hope this'll play out for us?

Either we don't play him, and resign him for cheap or play him, and he proves he belongs and we lose him to someone else, or we overpay for him. I really hate that he's expiring and I hate that Otis is gonna be negotiating this guy's contract. We're either losing him by playing hardball or overpaying him to stay.

I don't understand why you wouldn't pick up an option on a 2nd year player. 2 yrs and no PT is hardly enough time to gauge how the player will turn out for your team.

Good night my sweet prince. Is this someone that we can use some of the MLE on if he develops?

Since we own his rights, we can re-sign him without the MLE. However, with a new CBA about to be in place, who knows what the new rules will be.

They should have a clause where if team A declines a rookie's option then trades him, the new team should have a choice if they want to pick up the option or let the rookie expire.

It's only been one game fellas. let's at least give it 10 more games to see if he's a keeper. For all we know we'll be calling for his head on a stick after tommorow night's game.

It's only been one game fellas. let's at least give it 10 more games to see if he's a keeper. For all we know we'll be calling for his head on a stick after tommorow night's game.

I'd say about 85% of this fan base has decided to throw everything including the kitchen sink at this kid so he can stay. Let us have this.

I'm sure he's gonna play like dookie tomorrow night. Doesn't stop the fact that he's flashed potential. If there is any coach that can maximize that potential, especially on D, it's SVG. And when you have the big fella cleaning up your mistakes during game time situations, it makes it easier to learn.

We'll see. I ain't ready to crown him yet like some of you jive ol' marmadukes.

• Upvote 1

I know its one game, but he already displayed something we don't have on this roster: a versatile defender that can play SF/PF. That alone should warrant another year or two to see what he really has. JJ didn't become valuable until his 3rd/4th year. Same as Gortat. I just wish we had more time to evaluate his potential on a cheap contract, while not having to be locked in for long term.

I know its one game, but he already displayed something we don't have on this roster: a versatile defender that can play SF/PF.

Ariza and Barnes have been reincarnated into one player..........Earl Clark?

First round draft picks have one additional restriction. They are signed to scale contracts, with two guaranteed seasons followed by two option seasons, both at the team's option. All four seasons are paid according to a salary scale. If the team does not invoke one of these options and instead lets the player become a free agent, they will still hold the player's "Bird Rights". However, they cannot use their "Bird Rights" to give the player a higher salary than he would have received under his scale contract. For example, Rodney Stuckey was the 15th pick in the 2007 draft, and is paid $2.77 million in 2009-10. His scale salary would have been $3.87 million in 2010-11. However the Pistons did not pick up their option for Stuckey's fourth season, so he will be a Larry Bird free agent this summer. The Pistons are limited to $3.87 million in the first year of a new contract, even though he would be signed with the Larry Bird exception. This rule exists to prevent teams from circumventing the salary scale in order to give the player more money.

Bird Right CBA Breakdown

If this is correct then we can't overpay him even if we wanted to. The article relates to Bird Rights and when teams have a players' bird rights. Based on this, we can't pay EC more than what his contract scale would dictate if the option were picked up. I don't know what that means for what other teams can pay him.

3:37

[Comment From Jareth Cutestory]

KD, did you like Earl Clarks one on one defense against Dirk last night? You think he could become a solid defender under SVG?

3:37

KDonhoops: Sure, but he's driven every coach he's had batty, so he seems like a doghouse waiting to happen.