NittanyBuc

Potential Bigs We Can Acquire? (Post-Trade Deadline Edition)

The supposed "top five center" was averaging 4 points and 4 boards here in limited minutes. He didn't help at all in the ECF with Boston, most nights he just annoyed everyone with his dropped passes, tip rebounds, etc. Bottom line, Gortat was not playing a big role here and we had other needs we needed to fill. We may be thin with bigs, but Gortat sure as hell didn't help us win any rings. I'm happy to see him having some success in Phoenix, but it wasn't happening here and we didn't need him. Acting like we made a colossal mistake trading a bench player with a minor role is just silly. J-Rich has been nice for this team and Otis still could find a big.

The whole Dwight in foul trouble thing is just silly too. If Dwight is in foul trouble, we're pretty screwed anyways. The dropoff between Dwight and Gortat is massive and we won't beat Boston or Miami with Gortat playing big minutes for Dwight. Us needing more bigs to matchup with Boston is baloney too, the reason the Celtics have so many bigs is for them to match up with Dwight in a playoff series, not the other way around. In a playoff series againt an elite team, we need Dwight to play 40-42 minutes of elite basketball, that would leave around 6-8 minutes for someone like Gortat. We don't need a six million dollar backup to the best center in the league. We just need someone who can rebound and play a little D for the minutes Dwight is off the floor.

He should've been able to net us something a little better than what we got for the price we paid.

He should've been able to net us something a little better than what we got for the price we paid.

Seriously? Like what? You think a team is going to hand over a perenial All Star for a backup center averaging 4/4? Teams knew Gortat had potential, but they aren't going to give up anything of significant value when he hasn't proven to be anything but a quality backup to the league's best center.

The Magic needed a younger more athletic wing player to replace Vince Carter. What realistic options were out there? Everyone had the Melo dreams, but we didn't have the young talent and picks Denver wanted. Jason Richardson is really the best we could do. If Otis can find another decent big who can play a few minutes behind Dwight we will be fine. It's not like Gortat's production in Orlando is something that hard to replace.

Seriously? Like what? You think a team is going to hand over a perenial All Star for a backup center averaging 4/4? Teams knew Gortat had potential, but they aren't going to give up anything of significant value when he hasn't proven to be anything but a quality backup to the league's best center.

The Magic needed a younger more athletic wing player to replace Vince Carter. What realistic options were out there? Everyone had the Melo dreams, but we didn't have the young talent and picks Denver wanted. Jason Richardson is really the best we could do. If Otis can find another decent big who can play a few minutes behind Dwight we will be fine. It's not like Gortat's production in Orlando is something that hard to replace.

I wasn't aware we traded Gortat for J-Rich straight up. :svgsad:

I wasn't aware we traded Gortat for J-Rich straight up. :svgsad:

The original point you agreed to was discussing Gortat and J-Rich.

You still didn't answer me on what else we could've done.

The original point you agreed to was discussing Gortat and J-Rich.

Did you not say this???

Seriously? Like what? You think a team is going to hand over a perenial All Star for a backup center averaging 4/4?

Last time I checked, we not only gave away Gortat, but Vince, Pietrus, a 1st, and cash as well. All that and all we end up with essentially was J-Rich and Earl Clark??? Turk could have been had for a bag of chips.

You still didn't answer me on what else we could've done.

With the assets we HAD, there's no reason why a deal for AI, Kevin Martin, Danny Granger (just off the top of my head) couldn't have been made. Seems like Otis went shopping at the grocery store on an empty stomach.

Did you not say this???

Last time I checked, we not only gave away Gortat, but Vince, Pietrus, a 1st, and cash as well. All that and all we end up with essentially was J-Rich and Earl Clark??? Turk could have been had for a bag of chips.

With the assets we HAD, there's no reason why a deal for AI, Kevin Martin, Danny Granger (just off the top of my head) couldn't have been made. Seems like Otis went shopping at the grocery store on an empty stomach.

Why? Because you guys say so? Where is this fantasy land that you guys live in? Why would Indy trade Granger for Gortat when they have and are happy with Hibbert? Word is that Indy would only part with Granger for 2 good young starters, is Vince young? The rumor were that we tried to get Kevin Martin and Houston refused our offers so where are you getting that? Who is your source on AI? Rumor going around now is that we are making attempts at Carmelo and have made attempts for Chris Paul, don't you think that Otis is trying to acquire players and maybe the other teams are oh I don't know not agreeing to the trade??

We gave up a good backup center, a guy with the basketball IQ of a potatoe, and a guy that has near death experiences when he stubs his toe. We got a 20pt game scorer who was younger, a young prospect, and a guy that can handle the ball and shoot. If you want to argue about the pick, sure I would have prefered to not give that up but was that the deal that was on the table? I don't know and niether do ANY of you. Fact is this team was going no where fast and needed to upgrade at the 2-3, this may be a shock but you have to give up something of value to get something.

• Upvote 1

We gave up a good backup center, a guy with the basketball IQ of a potatoe, and a guy that has near death experiences when he stubs his toe. We got a 20pt game scorer who was younger, a young prospect, and a guy that can handle the ball and shoot. If you want to argue about the pick, sure I would have prefered to not give that up but was that the deal that was on the table? I don't know and niether do ANY of you. Fact is this team was going no where fast and needed to upgrade at the 2-3, this may be a shock but you have to give up something of value to get something.

+1

People seriously think a backup center playing 12-15 minutes a game is more important than an athletic scoring wing?

Getting a second intimidating defensive presence outside of Howard puts off some good pressure for him.

So, yeah.

We definitely upgraded. +2 for the post and SIG. I love it.

Back to original topic, maybe we can get Robin Lopez to backup Dwight since Gortat is playing well?

This was so inevitable. Gortat goes to Phoenix, play 10 more minutes a game and gets at least 3 to 4 point blank easy shots and puts up good numbers in a Phoenix system that ALWAYS produces good numbers, and all the people on this forum that live off of complaining like it was oxygen were inevitably going to start screaming about how it was such a terrible trade and we just never used Gortat right. Guess what guys? Gortat did get post opportunities here and they almost always led to turnaround fadeaway jumpers that went in about a third of the time. I'll let you in on another secret: Gortat isn't doing his Karl Malone impersonation in Phoenix either. He's doing the same thing that all big men in the Phoenix system do....run pick and roll with Steve Nash and finish at the rim.

Top 5 center? Give me a freaking break. I'm not sure which is worse: Our constant need to immensely overrate our players/former players or our constant need to complain about hypothetical trade scenarios that didn't happen when we have zero knowledge on the situation or any conversations that may have occured on the subject.

And what do the Suns want in return?

Cap Relief?

Another trade. Since Bobcats aren't going anywhere and we need some better defenders and toughness and since we will not be players in 2012 FA because of Hedo and Arenas..... Jrich and Orton for Wallace and Capt Jack. MJ might do it to cut salary.