Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

John Hollinger says acquiring Hedo was a mistake

All that's well and good, but given that the statement was "Hedo put up 18/6/6", I said he never did, and he never did, I have to say that, outside of some problem you seem have with me, there isn't really anything you've said in this thread that means anything.

As for 19.5/5.7/5 being better than 18/6/6, that's a valid opinion. But that it's arguably better doesn't mean it's the same, nor does it mean that one can be used interchangeably with the other.

If I say that Player X averaged 23 points and 5 assists, and you say that I'm wrong because he actually averaged 18 points and 15 assists, I'm not right just because 10 extra assists is more valuable than 5 extra points, any more than second baseman who hits .275 could be called a .300 hitter just because he wins a Gold Glove.

Ok, you seem to still not get it. Somebody says Hedo put up 18/6/6, from what I said was most likely off of his own memory and not through research. Do I know for a fact if he researched or not? No, I wasn't with him. Had he researched it though he would've seen that for one, he was a year off and secondly, he put up 20/6/5 (or 19/6/5, or 19/5/5, however you want to round it).

Now, normal functioning people would see that and know that was the year he was talking about, and could guess that he put those numbers up from memory. Then you come around and because he put up ONE more point (or two) and had ONE less assist he's wrong and you make a deal out of it. Do you realize how petty that is?

As far as you putting up completely retarded situations such as being off by FIVE points and TEN assists, as opposed to one of each, or even comparing someone's batting stats because of their fielding, I'll ask again. Are you trying purposely to be a dumbass right now?

This would be a more accurate analogy to what we're talking about.

Poster: Remember in 88' when Jordan put up something like 38 a game for the season?

DoM: It was 87' and he put up 37.1 PPG. You're an idiot and should never post here again.

Classic case of "it doesn't mean what you think it means". His power rankings are a snapshot of how teams are performing currently, and have a decent degree of accuracy in predicting the finals at the end of the season, not at the beginning of January.

I'm aware of that, and I'm pretty sure by seasons end Boston and Miami will probably both have higher rankings than us going in to the postseason, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch. My comment was more about people reading something that Hollinger says and automatically thinking that it's truth. Don't get me wrong, the guy is definitely right more than he is wrong and he's one of the few ESPN analysts I care abouts opinion, but that doesn't mean just because he says something it's true.

Ok, you seem to still not get it. Somebody says Hedo put up 18/6/6, from what I said was most likely off of his own memory and not through research. Do I know for a fact if he researched or not? No, I wasn't with him. Had he researched it though he would've seen that for one, he was a year off and secondly, he put up 20/6/5 (or 19/6/5, or 19/5/5, however you want to round it).

Now, normal functioning people would see that and know that was the year he was talking about, and could guess that he put those numbers up from memory. Then you come around and because he put up ONE more point (or two) and had ONE less assist he's wrong and you make a deal out of it. Do you realize how petty that is?

As far as you putting up completely retarded situations such as being off by FIVE points and TEN assists, as opposed to one of each, or even comparing someone's batting stats because of their fielding, I'll ask again. Are you trying purposely to be a dumbass right now?

• I was using an exaggerated set of examples to make my point more clear, mainly that if a benchmark exists and a player fails to meet that benchmark, they aren't granted a "met the benchmark by proxy" award just because they overperformed in another area. I thought that was obvious.
    Would you have preferred it if I'd used "had a super high OBP" in my baseball example rather than the Gold Glove? It certainly makes no difference to me.
  • I fail to see why you're spending this much time arguing on someone else's behalf over something that you've already admitted he was wrong about.
  • Also, I fail to see where you think I ever made a big deal out of anything.
    Someone posted that Hedo had averaged 18/6/6.5.
    I said he didn't ever average that.
    That was literally the last thing I ever had to say on the matter until you chimed in.
    Someone ELSE than responded that I should check out 2007-2008, and then a 4th person posted Hedo's stats from that year with the preface "Before DoM destroys you".
    You'll notice that I never said anything after my first post in that exchange. It's because I had nothing else to say on the matter. I, in fact, never remotely made a big deal out of it, just like no one else made a big deal out of it. No one else in the entire exchange ever posted more than once. The only person who made a big deal out of it was you.
  • This may blow your mind, but when I said that Hedo had never averaged 18/6/6.5 in my initial response that you're so very angry about, I didn't look up Hedo's stats either.

Wait a minute is alpha quasar = Drunk on Mystery?

lol...

Click on someone's name to see their profile, and on the left, scroll down a little and you can click a link to see any name changes they have performed on the new forum.

Here is the problem, and Trey, it's all in your unfunny head.

How is it you're my favorite and least favorite poster on this forum at the same time?

Also, just so we're clear, the last part of that quote wasn't me literally saying that to DoM. That was hypothetical DoM saying that to hypothetical poster. That's been my problem with DoM the entire time. He thinks he's better than everyone and feels the need to belittle every poster he can find. Then afterwards he says he flamed them for their own good (like the kid who said "jus sayin").

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

lol...

Click on someone's name to see their profile, and on the left, scroll down a little and you can click a link to see any name changes they have performed on the new forum.

What a minute, you are Echo4Papa??

lol...

...which shows us Captain Hi-Top = echo4papa

Surprising, isn't it.

That's not even Trey Time. That's his ghost. His measly 296 posts don't warrant respect from us elites.

I <3 U

While we're on that subject though, if I can get my original account set back up that would be amazing.

I <3 U

While we're on that subject though, if I can get my original account set back up that would be amazing.

Email the Admin Dan Savage, the rest of us don't have the ability to fix things like that.