Sign in to follow this  
BMP

N.B.A. Union Chief Outlines Proposals

Putting it here because it affects every team in the NBA, so it is Magic related. . .

Since I can't post the entire article I'll highlight some of the more important parts

The union’s full proposal was outlined by its executive director, Billy Hunter, in a podcast sent to players late last week. Its contents were described by a person with union ties who has heard the podcast and reviewed the written proposal. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to preserve his access to the information.

A call for “enhanced trade and signing flexibility,” which Hunter characterizes as “a win-win” for players and teams.

Currently, teams that are over the salary cap must match salaries, within 125 percent, to make a trade. The union wants to roughly double the standard, to make it within 150 percent, which would make trades easier to construct, thus fostering player movement. The union also wants to eliminate “base-year compensation,” an arcane rule that makes it difficult to trade players after they receive a major raise.

A request to drop the age limit back to 18.

In 2005, with the union’s agreement, the N.B.A. began requiring all incoming players to be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school. The union supported the rule begrudgingly and wants it changed back. Hunter is proposing instead that the N.B.A. adopt rules that “incentivize high school and college athletes to attend school.” No specifics are offered, but one possibility would be to adjust the rookie wage scale to reward players who stay in school.

A push to make restricted free agency less onerous.

Under the current rules, when a restricted free agent signs an offer sheet, his team has seven days to match it. That time period is sufficiently long that it discourages rivals from making offers. The union wants to reduce it by several days. It also wants qualifying offers — which trigger the restricted status — to be higher.

A proposal to shorten contracts signed under the midlevel exception, from five years to four.

In return, the union wants to add a second midlevel exception. The additional slot (worth about $5.8 million), which can be used every year, would replace the biannual exception (worth about $2.1 million), which can only be used every other year.

Instead, Stern is standing by the proposal he made in January, which includes a 38 percent reduction in player salaries (about $800 million), a rollback of existing salaries, a hard salary cap, shorter contracts, elimination of all cap exceptions and a major reduction in contract guarantees.

Toward the conclusion of his podcast, Hunter makes his stance clear.

We will not agree to a hard cap,” he says, “when the league is generating record revenues year after year.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/sports/basketball/09union.html?_r=4&hp

"Instead, Stern is standing by the proposal he made in January, which includes a 38 percent reduction in player salaries (about $800 million), a rollback of existing salaries, a hard salary cap, shorter contracts, elimination of all cap exceptions and a major reduction in contract guarantees."

I wouldn't have a problem with reduction in contract guarantees and shorter contracts, when you sign and guy and he flops or gets injured it kills your team so those would be good things.

Hard cap and especially a rollback of existing salaries is going to be tough, if you signed a contract why should you get your pay cut?

Stern is a tough nut to crack. The players will cave because at the end of the day Lebron James vote weighs the same as Daniel Orton's. Stern will lock them out. The public will not notice until football season is over and many of the players making minimum money will start to run out of money.

I like the idea of increased flexibility on trades and increasing the qualifying offer for restricted free agents.

I dislike the ideas of giving teams a second MLE (though i wouldn't be opposed to another BAE)

Well, I'll enjoy the extra time I have to spend not watching NBA basketball in 2011-2012.

Similarly, I'll enjoy not having to read your snarky, supercilious remarks quite as often.

No specifics are offered, but one possibility would be to adjust the rookie wage scale to reward players who stay in school.

I like this idea. If you want to go into the NBA right out of high school, you should either 1) be limited to a one year contract or 2) have a limit on your salary for your rookie contract. Star players can still enter the game at 18 if they want to make money and the NBA has a chance to see if they are worth pursuing without hurting the bank.

Addressing Stern's agenda....he can't be pushing all the cutbacks in one year, is he? I say baby steps -- with such a drastic change to the pay of your workers, Stern, there is no avoiding a backlash. Implement a plan, spread out the salary reduction or at least lower the amount that will be subtracted from existing contracts. I think players can accept shorter contracts in the future if they are able to grasp reality. But Stern's thick head might be his downfall... at least make an effort to meet the player's union half way. They, after all, are the basis of your product.