Sign in to follow this  
ChemRom

Schmitz: Magic should trade for Anthony & Billups

Gortat is the best backup center in basketball, and it's not even close. I challenge anyone to name a better back up center.

I'm not going to say he could start for half of the teams in the NBA but I challenge you to name a better back up.

Gauntlet thrown/Shots fired, Jarecock Douchestory.

Gortat is the best backup center in basketball, and it's not even close. I challenge anyone to name a better back up center.

I'm not going to say he could start for half of the teams in the NBA but I challenge you to name a better back up.

Gauntlet thrown/Shots fired, Jarecock Douchestory.

Serge Ibaka

Lawyered.

I think you severely underrated Billups in your description of him. Journeyman? He had a few bumpy years in the beginning, but really?

Perhaps not a journeyman...but he's played for 5 teams and has been in the Association for about 13 years. I said journeyman because he struggled early in his career, finally finding his niche with the Pistons. He was a late bloomer, if you will, it took him 5 years to pry the talent and development out of him. IMO he hit a plateau with Detroit and I can see through the numbers and from game footage that he is on an escalator downwards.

I know it is only 10 games deep into the season, but Ty Lawson has even shown me some glimpses of better play than Billups. Because of Chauncey's poor shot selection, he has a 34.2 FG% in comparison to Lawson's 43.3 FG%. However, Billups is a great perimeter shooter and although he is shooting 29.2% from 3-point range, I am confident that he is just in a slump. His Assist/Turnover Ratio is troubling though (1.58) and Lawson is killing him in that category (3). Given increased minutes, one could make a good case that Lawson can outperform Billups as a starting PG.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Billups. He was great while in Detroit, but I think we'd be making a BIG mistake replacing Nelson with Billups as a long-term asset to the team. Billups would be a mercenary, like if we made a play for Nash, only with less output.

Serge Ibaka

Lawyered.

He's barely a "backup" center. He's a combo PF/C that plays 30 minutes a game and has started 4 games in this season. He's not a starter only in the literal sense that he doesn't get to start, but he plays starter minutes and most of the times closes games out.

That doesn't count. TRY AGAIN.

He's barely a "backup" center. He's a combo PF/C that plays 30 minutes a game and has started 4 games in this season. He's not a starter only in the literal sense that he doesn't get to start, but he plays starter minutes and most of the times closes games out.

That doesn't count. TRY AGAIN.

What about last year?

What about last year?

Last year he played twice as many minutes at PF than C and while he was a good rebounder/shot blocker, he was a pretty bad man to man/help defender.

BRAD f*^%$ng MILLER

Broseph, if I actually believed that you believed that Brad Miller was a better center, I would be forced to choke you until you were smart again.

I love how we've managed to make Gortat an All Worldy defender. Seriously tell me how this is possible?

If he's the best backup center in the league, and all the rest are scabs, then he must not have the greatest competition in that 15 minutes per game he plays. And don't even tell me he's THAT much of a difference maker when Dwight is in foul trouble on the defensive end atleast. I've seen with my own two eyes guys blow past him and get easy buckets. Or he gets lost and does the Gortat head shuffle.

I'M NOT SAYING HE'S NOT TALENTED. I'M NOT SAYING I DON'T LIKE HIM. BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE MAKING HIM OUT TO BE SOMETHING HE ISN'T. IF A RANDOM PERSON CAME TO THIS FORUM, THEY WOULD THINK WE HAVE TWO DWIGHT HOWARDS ON OUR TEAM.