Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

Would Josh Smith put us over the top?

I've been discussing it with fellow Magic fans and Hawks fans as well.

Lets say a hypothetical trade of,

Gortat/Pietrus/Pick

For

Smith/Pachulia

happens.

Leaving us with a lineup of:

Nelson/Duhon/Williams

Carter/Redick

Lewis/Richardson

Smith/Anderson/Bass

Howard/Pachulia/Bass

Does this team make us more competitive with the Heat and Celtics?

Does Smith's inside defense and athleticism counter and improve us over MP's wing defense and Gortat's all-around game?

Opinions?

• Upvote 1

superbly talented player, there are stretches of games where you watch him and it seems as though he can literally do it all and dominate. But man, did you see how uninspired he played during those playoffs against us last post season? He has a big problem with his emotions, and really he always has. Sure, playing for Orlando probably wouldn't result in getting swept by a division rival (unless it's the Heat ammirite?) so maybe he would be different here with Orlando but still, off putting.

Then there are the salary implications and ATL wanting to let him go, I just don't think it would happen.

also, MP/Gortat/Pick? reeeeally?

Half of me says... This would be a good trade for the magic. We would be very strong and teams would think thrice before driving into the paint.

The other half says.... Howard still continues to get into foul trouble and Gortat is very valueable for this reason. Also, if we got an injury to either redick, carter, richardson or Lewis... we would become very thin! at the swing man positions.

I guess u have to give up something to gain something.

That is a tough one. I like Zaza. Tough player and would be a solid back up center.

Now for Smith. He is more of a knucklehead than a malcontent to me and his talent is off the charts. If our defense in the painted area is great now imagine having Smith and Howard.

The problems would be ball movement and floor spacing as well as what if Smith is indeed a malcontent and Stan cannot corral him and convince him to be the player that he can be.

Overall I can see the Hawks trading him soon especially with the big deals of Horford and Johnson but I doubt they do it within the division.

If we're just giving up Gortat, MP and a pick....Absolutely.

Josh Smith is a great player and Pachulia while a 3rd string PG, can play good while motivated

I'd be willing to take a chance.

Josh Smith is a great player and Pachulia while a 3rd string PG, can play good while motivated

See I disagree, I think Pachulia could take Jameer's spot at some point during the season.

• Upvote 2

Pachulia is a Center... I think you just had a spelling error.. Oh and he is a backup center.. would back up on most teams in the league at that position

Pachulia is a Center... I think you just had a spelling error.. Oh and he is a backup center.. would back up on most teams in the league at that position

My mistake. I know he's a Center....just woke up.

I remember him in his rookie season and I thought he has so much room for improvement and get better, but he never seemed to improved

Like Penny said, Smith has all the tools but his mental game scares me. It's like Vince. Sure he's old, but he's capable of more than he is giving now. He checks out mentally and it ruins his entire game. Same with Smith. He picks up a couple of cheap fouls or doesn't get a call and he let's it get the best of him. He's down by 15 in the 3rd and he doesn't care enough to put forth the effort to help lead a comeback. I don't know. It looks amazing on paper, but who know how it would work out.

Also, I still say Rip/Prince/1st for Gortat/Vince.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like Penny said, Smith has all the tools but his mental game scares me. It's like Vince. Sure he's old, but he's capable of more than he is giving now. He checks out mentally and it ruins his entire game. Same with Smith. He picks up a couple of cheap fouls or doesn't get a call and he let's it get the best of him. He's down by 15 in the 3rd and he doesn't care enough to put forth the effort to help lead a comeback. I don't know. It looks amazing on paper, but who know how it would work out.

Also, I still say Rip/Prince/1st for Gortat/Vince.

I wouldn't mind that either, but who's going to be our back up C? And please don't say Horton hears a who?

I wouldn't mind that either, but who's going to be our back up C? And please don't say Horton hears a who?

Not to derail the thread, but I'd be ok with Bass/Allen figuring it out. Or signing a guy like Damp.

• Upvote 1

Not to derail the thread, but I'd be ok with Bass/Allen figuring it out. Or signing a guy like Damp.

If that pistons trade happened I would think Damps would love to sign with the magic. No state taxes.. And getting to back up the best.