Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

John Hollinger Chatting Live @ 2:15 PM

Looks like ball junkie or LeBrick got on the chat. :svgsad:

John (Orlando, FL)

The Magic cannot win the finals as currently constructed. Do you think CP3 or Melo gives them a better chance to compete with the Lakers, Celtics ans Heat?

John Hollinger (2:29 PM)

I'm not sure I buy the premise of your first sentence -- they got awfully close the past two years -- but in terms of adding players, CP would be by far the more impactful performer. They already have the perfect team for him to operate with 3-point shooters and an alleyoop weapon in Howard; he'd get about 90 assists a game on that team.

• Upvote 4

This part of his reply will be completely ignored.

Hollinger says we need CP3 to win a ring. Interesting?? Ha-ha

John (Orlando, FL)

The Magic cannot win the finals as currently constructed. Do you think CP3 or Melo gives them a better chance to compete with the Lakers, Celtics ans Heat?

John Hollinger (2:29 PM)

I'm not sure I buy the premise of your first sentence -- they got awfully close the past two years -- but in terms of adding players, CP would be by far the more impactful performer. They already have the perfect team for him to operate with 3-point shooters and an alleyoop weapon in Howard; he'd get about 90 assists a game on that team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hollinger stating that Chris Paul would get 90 assists per game if he played for Orlando...Man, please let this happen some day soon!

Anyway, speaking of the Hornets...here's what Hollinger had to say about them and Paul's future in regards to wins and losses and whether or not it would be enough to keep Chris happy.

First, of course, is the fact the Hornets are so dependent on the skills of a single great player. If they lose Paul for any length of time they're up the creek, because nobody on the roster can replace his high-efficiency shot-creating or ball-hawking defense.

The second underrated issue is that they face a similar situation in the frontcourt. West and Okafor make a solid starting combo, but the Hornets have the worst frontcourt depth in the league. They've tried to paper it over by using Peja Stojakovic as a small-ball 4 at times, but injuries and/or foul trouble will badly expose a bench rotation that includes retreads like Pops Mensah-Bonsu, D.J. Mbenga and Jason Smith.

At some point, one of that motley crew is likely to be starting. While Okafor hasn't missed a game in four years, West has played more than 76 just once and averages 16 games of shelf time per season. That's 16 times somebody like Mbenga, Smith or Stojakovic will have to play heavy minutes. That's a problem, and New Orleans lacks the financial resources and trade assets to solve it easily. (This, in turn, is why I was so flabbergasted by the trade of frontcourt reserves Craig Brackins and Darius Songaila for Green and Smith).

Finally, the Hornets face the little issue of playing in the Western Conference. It's very possible they end up around 45 wins, a total that would seem a lot more impressive if they were in the East and it netted them, say, the fifth or sixth seed in the conference. Out West it might just send them back to the lottery.

Unfortunately, perceptions like that matter -- Paul would probably feel a lot better about his team if they made the postseason and played a tough first-round series, at the very least.

How much they matter, however, is what we can't tell. It's a crucial year for the Hornets, as an impressive season might convince Paul to sign an extension and avoid the kind of, er, melodrama, that we've seen in Denver the past several weeks. But it's also likely the first of several hurdles. Regardless of how well the Hornets play at the start of this season, there's a good chance they'll need to repeat it next November before Paul is sold on the program.

Thus, New Orleans' strong start doesn't necessarily alter the big-picture much on CP's future. It's just a lot better than the alternative.

I've still got hope my Magic brothers...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-101101

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

This part of his reply will be completely ignored.

Well, you called that one.