Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Howard needs help (Ken Berger, CBS Sports)

I think it's fair to say Dwight wants this team to be better. I hope he uses him signing his extension this summer as leverage to force Otis to do something by the deadline. It worked for Kobe amirite?

• Upvote 1

I think it's fair to say Dwight wants this team to be better. I hope he uses him signing his extension this summer as leverage to force Otis to do something by the deadline. It worked for Kobe amirite?

The team trading the star to us must want something from us for that trade to exist. I am over all these people that think its as easy as '1,2,3' to acquire Paul or Melo..... News to those people, its not!

Guys, this is ripping, right? Please note, I'm not saying SVG is explicitly saying we need a change. KITNO, as almost always, good stuff. And to the rest of you, I actually think some adjustments can/should be made against the elite teams. For instance, unless Jameer has lost significant ability, which I don't believe is the case, he needs to attack the paint more, if just to kick it over or out. Nash is a master at this style of play. However, if we can upgrade this team by moving VC or other pieces, I personally would like to see it done and imagine Dwight would like it, too. And, no, Arenas does not qualify, imo.

Hedo, whether or not Dwight had a list, Otis was obsessed with getting Paul over the summer. This comes from one of his closest "people." By the way, where in the world is Rev Ty??? Dude, we miss you.

Junkie was my "Y" coach about 25 years ago, just to give you an indication of his age and my age (mid-thirties). Makes me laugh just to think of those days.

In the spirit of some of our foreign brothers, go Magics!

Good post...Soul, you need to revisit your math lessons...I turned 50 years old this summer...25 years ago???...lol...Don't put more years on me already, ha-ha...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, Dwight needs help, but IMO that is not necessarily changing the roster. Why don't we simply start by having players play up to their averages in big meetings like against the Heat or the ECF last year against Celtics. I think with just that and a beasting Dwight, we win in a 7 game series against either.

Like Stan said, none of the guys on our team are guys that can create their own shot against a great defense. We have to overcome that with smarter passing. How many guys in this league ARE great at creating their own shot against an effective defense? Not too many, and just because one guy may be available, doesn't mean he is available to us. Stan wasn't blasting the team, he was pointing out what they need to work on.

Sorry Ken, sorry Junkie, but that's NOT the same thing as saying "We don't have the personnel to get it done", Dwight needs help, but there is no reason that help can't come from his current team.

Friday night was a great example of how much shooting will play into the matchups between our team and Miami. Either one of these two teams get hot, the other team is in trouble. Period. Especially if they are shooting poorly from the field. I thought we did a great job of protecting the rim, and keeping LeBron and Wade from easy points in their half court sets, forcing them into mostly jumpers. They both got hot, and that's going to happen sometimes, but the important thing here, from the defensive side, is that we did a decent job of forcing them into jumpers. The draw back, and adjustment Orlando needs to make when this happens, is in the rebounding department. Forcing them into a jump shooting team leads to long rebounds, and Dwight needs help when that happens.

It's early in the season. There is more than enough time to keep working on things to account for these situations. Enough time even to work on them, see how well it works, and if it isn't headed in the right direction, make a move by the trade deadline if the proper opportunity presents itself.

This.

On another note, I wanted the Magic to lose a couple of games this pre-season. I hate the feeling of being comfortable during long streaks. Now the Magic have to recheck themselves after what looked like their worst shooting performance in 2 years. It almost looked as if they were shooting that horribly on purpose.

Like Stan said, none of the guys on our team are guys that can create their own shot against a great defense. We have to overcome that with smarter passing. How many guys in this league ARE great at creating their own shot against an effective defense? Not too many, and just because one guy may be available, doesn't mean he is available to us. Stan wasn't blasting the team, he was pointing out what they need to work on.

Great point, but I don't think its just better passing. This Magic lineup needs to utilize more player movement & screens ala Boston & old Detroit. I think Stan's attempted to address these offensive peronnel limitations by utilizing more players in the post, and its a good start. But I still think they have to be more versatile than post & pick-n-roll. I mean, if it can work for Hickory against inner city giants, surely it can help the Magic...

• Upvote 1

As if this needs to be stressed any more...

It was one **** game. The Miami game was practically a mirror image of last season's blowout home loss against the Cavs. Mo and LeBron shot an unconscious percentage from the perimeter, the Magic shot horrendously from three-point range, etc etc. We also got clowned by the Thunder in OKC. Our starters shot a cumulative 34% from the field, we had no answer for a premier perimeter threat (Durant), and so forth. Following the game, our effort, depth and potential to contend were all undoubtedly questioned.

As the season progressed, we proved we could compete and ultimately, beat those teams. Why is the Miami game any different? Why is it that some on here feel compelled to attach so much meaning to a game that is otherwise a carbon copy of the quintessential blowout victory?

Newsflash: when we shoot poorly from the perimeter, we're more than likely to lose the game. In the past, this was largely a product of teams not having to double team Dwight. That proved not to be the case against Miami. Players, and to a greater extent shooters, have off nights regularly. This was blatantly evident upon viewing Redick miss the rim on a transition three, and watching Shard brick two wide open looks on back-to-back possessions. We lost the game, but isn't it possible that the given circumstances (couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat) exacerbated the situation? Do some of you truly believe Miami is 20-25 points better than us? If not, then why can't we simply acknowledge that this is the NBA, and any team is capable of being blown out on any given night?

More importantly, it's game 2 of 82, and if some here still feel that this team needs to undergo a significant change, then you are all deprived of basic reasoning, and merit no more acknowledgment as far as I'm concerned.

Totally agree.

BTW does anyone remember how badly the Magic played those back to back games. Cleveland crushed us when that happened last year plus they had at least a day of rest as did the Heat. Take all of that and then remember what the Magic did to Cleveland when it was not a back to back we won. So many short memories.

Plus as already stated it's only the second game of the season and the last time I checked the sky was not falling.

Where is your faith in this team. Just get over it. We are not going to win every game. The Magic will get blown out every now and then it happens get over it.

Time to get ready for the next in NY against the Knicks.

As for CBS SportsLine they lost my respect a couple of years ago they just became another blog just like the Bleacher Report. The same kind of amateur for both of them.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but between the Boston beating last year and Friday night, I've lost a little confidence in my boys. All the article said was that Dwight needs some help against the other elite teams and as much as I like our guys I'm starting to think that we don't have the best team in the field. Maybe that's a me problem but I have now seen Carter shrink in almost every "big" situation he's been put in, Lewis has been half the player he was when Turk was here (I don't know if those two things are corollated) and Jameer, while I love the guy, got outplayed by Carlos Arroyo (I just threw up in my mouth a little). Our starters are not as good as the rest of the contenders and our bench, while deep, does not make up the difference in talent. Whether you like Berger or BJ, they bring up valid points that need to be addressed or we will be in the conference semis for the next 6 years. Which is fine for some, it's great when you compare it to the drek we were during the T-mac years but not where everyone associated with the team say they want to end up.

• Upvote 2

I'm only speaking for myself here, but between the Boston beating last year and Friday night, I've lost a little confidence in my boys. All the article said was that Dwight needs some help against the other elite teams and as much as I like our guys I'm starting to think that we don't have the best team in the field. Maybe that's a me problem but I have now seen Carter shrink in almost every "big" situation he's been put in, Lewis has been half the player he was when Turk was here (I don't know if those two things are corollated) and Jameer, while I love the guy, got outplayed by Carlos Arroyo (I just threw up in my mouth a little). Our starters are not as good as the rest of the contenders and our bench, while deep, does not make up the difference in talent. Whether you like Berger or BJ, they bring up valid points that need to be addressed or we will be in the conference semis for the next 6 years. Which is fine for some, it's great when you compare it to the drek we were during the T-mac years but not where everyone associated with the team say they want to end up.

Good post. I agree with your post. Smith must get better talent and soon, or we will probably lose Dwight in FA. I would really hate to see our beloved Dwight in Heat uniform.

• Upvote 1

How was the 80's truly guys?

I loved the 80's. Computers and internet were not widespread during the early 80's. I learned to use an old apple computer with a floppy disc. In the 80's we went out more with Friends and had loads of fun. Things were not so bad then and could go out and have fun without a lot of worry. The music was great and big hair was in.