Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Teaching creationism in schools

So I'm in my Religion and Politics class and this topic (whether creationism should be taught in public schools) was brought up. Wanted to know how you guys felt about it.

Regardless of what you think of Evolutionary theory, the notion that Creationism is a science is laughable. Science is the study of the natural laws that govern different aspects of the universe.

Creationism is predicated, indeed synonymous, with the notion that all science is predicated on the existence of some being that exists outside of scientific law. Apply that logic to any other field of concrete, factual study, and you'll realize how faulty that line of thinking is.

Imagine trying to teach a mathematics class where mathematical rules apply to all numbers in all scenarios, except the number 16, and you'll have a rough idea of how much Creationism is a science. Note: This isn't to say that Creationist theory is necessarily wrong. I'm merely saying that a study of science the includes within it a built in gap in scientific inquiry is both not-science and is self-defeating.

That said: I'd be adamantly, firmly, 100% in favor of a mandatory world religions and cultures class for high school juniors/seniors, a part of which could, should, and likely would include substantial study of Cosmological and Biological origin beliefs, both monotheistic and polytheistic.

As an atheist who took multiple religions classes in college because I find them fascinating, I think anything that promotes a better understanding of both the similarities and differences between other cultures is not only a good idea, it's a fundamentally necessary one if we want to continue to move forward as a culture.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of what you think of Evolutionary theory, the notion that Creationism is a science is laughable. Science is the study of the natural laws that govern different aspects of the universe.

Creationism is predicated, indeed synonymous, with the notion that all science is predicated on the existence of some being that exists outside of scientific law. Apply that logic to any other field of concrete, factual study, and you'll realize how faulty that line of thinking is.

Imagine trying to teach a mathematics class where mathematical rules apply to all numbers in all scenarios, except the number 16, and you'll have a rough idea of how much Creationism is a science. Note: This isn't to say that Creationist theory is necessarily wrong. I'm merely saying that a study of science the includes within it a built in gap in scientific inquiry is both not-science and is self-defeating.

That said: I'd be adamantly, firmly, 100% in favor of a mandatory world religions and cultures class for high school juniors/seniors, a part of which could, should, and likely would include substantial study of Cosmological origin beliefs, both monotheistic and polytheistic.

As an atheist who took multiple religions classes in college because I find them fascinating, I think anything that promotes a better understanding of both the similarities and differences between other cultures is not only a good idea, it's a fundamentally necessary one if we want to continue to move forward as a culture.

Uh... what this guy said.

I also want to add in the fact that we are nearly last in developed countries in terms of graduating scientists and engineers. Teaching things outside of that realm isn't really going to make that statistic any better. We're falling behind too much.

^True, well said. I think creationism should be taught in some way in it, as another theory. The 'big bang theory' or evolution is just that, it's a theory @ this point. I dont see the problem with putting all theorem on the table, and letting kids make a decision on which one makes more sense for themselves.

^True, well said. I think creationism should be taught in some way in it, as another theory. The 'big bang theory' or evolution is just that, it's a theory @ this point. I dont see the problem with putting all theorem on the table, and letting kids make a decision on which one makes more sense for themselves.

I hope you understand what an actual scientific theory is as opposed to creationism. They aren't in the same breath exactly.

That said: I'd be adamantly, firmly, 100% in favor of a mandatory world religions and cultures class for high school juniors/seniors, a part of which could, should, and likely would include substantial study of Cosmological origin beliefs, both monotheistic and polytheistic.

The fight about teaching creationism in science classes is, indeed, a case of mistaken identity. It doesn't belong there. If parents are so worked up about schools teaching evolution, they should maybe invest some of their own time teaching their children what they find to be an accurate view of creationism or begin a class through their church or other place of worship that would give the creationist argument.

It's both sad and funny how much time many religious people spend trying to "defend the faith" by enforcing religious-influenced teachings in school or through political office and yet don't bother spending time with their children (or even on their own) studying the scripture they claim to uphold.

I would back you up in a world religions requirement for grade schools. In fact, I would probably also make philosophy/critical thinking a required course, as well.

I have absolutely no problem with Creationism being taught in the public school system. I learned several different creation myths in classes regarding religous studies. Let's just make sure we call it what it is, and teach it in the proper context/class, and not as science.

I have absolutely no problem with Creationism being taught in the public school system. I learned several different creation myths in classes regarding religous studies. Let's just make sure we call it what it is, and teach it in the proper context/class, and not as science.

This seems to be the general consensus in my class.

There were some people that mistakenly called it a theory. I had to correct them. Teaching creationism in a science class undermines the scientific method. People say its a theory because they don't understand the definition of the word theory.

^ Honestly, I don't know who to blame that on. Curriculum or are we just stupid? Every other nation can get that but us.

I think it's popular culture. How many time's have people said "I have a theory about _____" on a tv show when they really mean they have a hypothesis. I didn't know the difference before one of my friends corrected me in 9th grade.

Sure, why not? (rhetorical)

Religion can often be interpreted as a projection of a society's cultural backdrop. And it's not like students would be forced to adopt its theories/practices, that's up to them.

If nothing else, it's at the very least a genuinely interesting topic that should spur fruitful discussion.

It is a tough argument to make - regardless of your position - because of the amount of emotion and passion that exists on both sides.

Creationism as a explanation for the origins of Life, The Universe, and Everything still requires faith. This is why the vast majority of those who prefer this explanation (myself included) would call themselves Christians, or at the very least, believers in God (or a higher power). As such, I have to agree that it is hard to call it a study of science (theory or otherwise).

Having said that, evolution, big bang, steady-state, etc., are all theories.

I don't really care what origin "theory" is taught in public schools, it is my responsibility as a parent to share my beliefs with my children.

• Upvote 1