Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Has Orlando's Window Closed?

But those are outside matters. The real issue for Orlando in trying to make it back to the Finals and compete is that they seem to have detonated the special formula that got them there in the first place. Vince Carter had a handful of terrific great games for the Magic but also brought all the questions about toughness and clutch ability. And he seemed a tremendous step back from what Hedo Turkoglu had given them, regardless of Turkoglu's age and diminishing skill. Chemistry for that team was shaky. It seemed inconsistent and incomplete, like there were tensions bubbling under, in contrast to the 2009 team which seemed to hum like a finely tuned engine.

Finally there's the nature of championship windows themselves for small-market teams. A large market team like the Lakers can contend for a decade if they keep egos in check. They can stay in the conversation as long as their top elite player is around and healthy. But we've seen it often in the past. A smaller market team has what is considered a great team, pushes the elite team in their conference, but is unable to reach the summit. The Magic tinkered with what worked, which is often a big no-no in sports. Turkoglu may have been on the downside of his career and not as talented as Vince Carter, but the Magic were better with him running point forward in the halfcourt set.

Think of what they need in order to return to the championship if they don't make a major trade this season. They need Carter to play better than he did last season, have everyone stay healthy, repeat last year's performance, then overcome Boston's defense and Miami's starpower... just to make the Finals where barring a gigantic upset they'll then face the same Lakers team that overwhelmed them two years ago. Orlando's ownership group has commendably committed money to the team as it enters a new arena with a contending team. But unless it takes a major step back up the ladder, it may just be spinning its expensive wheels as the rest of the league continues to stay one step ahead of them.

Orlando will be good. But barring Dwight Howard becoming one of the most dominant offensive players in the league or massive injuries to both Miami and Boston, there's little evidence to believe they'll be good enough to be considered a real title contender.

Hope you're working on that trade, Otis...I agree with the author...we'll be good, but not a contender without one (trade).

To read entire article go here:

http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/24636885?source=rss_blogs_NBA

• Downvote 2

Tinkered with what worked...as in a team that got to the finals but could not reach their goal? I still don't get the high opinion of Hedo especially after last year but I really don't get the idea that you don't tinker with a team that needed something in order to win the title. The goal is to win a title, not have a really entertaining team that almost gets there. The Vince experiment didn't work last year, it may not work this year either but it won't matter because we were only on the hook for 2 yrs instead of the 5 we would have been stuck with Hedo.

Of course we need to make a move to have a shot at the title. We also have pieces to make that move another thing we would not have had if we kept Hedo.

Why do people continue to pretend that Hedo was a good or even average player in '08-09?

Between Vince and Hedo, Vince would be the best player, but Hedo fit our system better and Hedo was the best player of the 2 for our team. Yeah, Hedo sucked last year, part of that was his laziness and the fact that he didn't have, Lewis, Howard and Nelson on his team.

I agree with the article. Beating the Celtics this year is a 50-50, Miami will be really really difficult and then the Lakers almost impossible.

• Downvote 1

Between Vince and Hedo, Vince would be the best player, but Hedo fit our system better and Hedo was the best player of the 2 for our team. Yeah, Hedo sucked last year, part of that was his laziness and the fact that he didn't have, Lewis, Howard and Nelson on his team.

You do realize that I was referring to '08-09, which was Hedo's last season HERE, right?

Quote from BurnsySTL

Magic need a consistent 20+ ppg scorer. And Brandon Bass needs to start. And my season ticket seats need to be cheaper. And the dancers should be topless. And I wish I could fly.

:shard:

LoL wow to all you people giving me negatives for quoting someone off that page. I thought it was funny and I know part of all us wish the tickets were cheaper and the dancers be dancing topless... Whats really funny is that I get negatives for this quote but racial undertones go by unnoticed incredible :svgsad:

• Downvote 5

Hedo didn't fit our system better, our system fit Hedo better. We need/needed a guy that would attack the basket and get to the line when the offense bogged down. When Hedo was not launching fall away 3's on iso plays he was going to the basket, throwing his hands up, and praying for a call.

I enjoy watching Hedo play and I appreciate everything that he did while he was here but we are not going to win a title without that guy that gets to the line. In the 2nd half of the year last year I thought Vince did a good job of being that guy when needed. It didn't work out when we needed it so yes, we still need to find that guy.

• Upvote 2

As long as we have Dwight on the team are window isn't closed. If we make a trade for a younger legit scorer, the NBA better watch the f out. We have been contenders without a true first option. What about Boston's window? That core isn't gonna be around forever.

I think we will beat Boston, Miami is yet to be seen, and the Lakers would beat us IMO. So no, our window is not closed. We get a legit 1b option with Dwight and I think we become at least co-favorites.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow, it is amazing how many people have already given up on this team. Who cares about Hedo? We play with who we have. We have a really good chance this year. Sure it is going to be hard, but that is all the better.

Miami is gonna play LA this year, right. Let's just forget the season.

Where is Jack Daniels when we need him? We have a bunch of namby-pamby naysayers on this board.

:panicworker:

• Upvote 1