Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Religion

It always irritates me whenever a comic chooses to incorporate religion into his/her skits. Carlin was particularly adamant about his stance as an atheist. It's like deliberately carving open a fat, juicy can of worms in the face of the general public.

:offtopic:

I don't find George Carlin that funny. I don't feel offended by what he says (by any means), I just don't find him funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ

>>>> everything

not to get too off-topic, I'll comment on the thread... I don't think the idea of religion itself is good. I do think it's good that it does help guide people into being better beings, but at the same think find it sad that at this day and age, people still need some guy wearing a robe telling them what they should or shouldn't do. So, while I don't think it's detrimental for people to believe in a higher power, I do believe it's detrimental to society that there are "facilities" that tell you what to believe in and what not to believe. I respect people who read the bible -as well as other religious books- themselves and make their own conclusions. Can you imagine how math would be today if a bunch of people got together, formed their equations, taught everyone, and we all just assumed that was that, without trying it out ourselves and questioning their methods?

Extremists, from both sides, will continue to ruin any type of advancements to society we could all be making (in terms of understanding, acknowledging, and accepting).

To me, people can believe whatever the hell they want, as long as they don't interfere with someone else's life. I don't care if you think alkaline batteries are going to save the world, as long as you're not killing or hurting others because they don't believe the same thing.

It always irritates me whenever a comic chooses to incorporate religion into his/her skits. Carlin was particularly adamant about his stance as an atheist. It's like deliberately carving open a fat, juicy can of worms in the face of the general public.

Well, considering most of his fans were close to that same line of thinking, I don't see anything wrong with it. And it was just something he had to do. He always talked about religion in his earlier years, although he never really made fun of it, or ridiculed it, but as he grew older, his skits started to get more and more raunchy, and religion just so happened to be something he talked about, so it wouldn't make sense for him to take his comedy to that level but leave religion out of it.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/09/07/general-as-afghanistan_7906161.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

I don't want to offend anyone in this thread but this story is another example why I can only hope that religion goes the way of the dodo bird. Almost every religion has a post apocalyptic story and the scary part is that everyone that believes the story can't wait for it to happen. A self fulfilling prophecy seems almost inevitable.

What kind of Christians are they? Christians are supposed to turn the other cheek and any REAL Christian wouldn't even care enough about what Muslims believe to burn their Quran.. Koran? Whatever.

That's because most of it is done for religious purposes whether its done openly in the name of organized religion or politicians doing so in order to curry favor with the religious right.

That's a fallacy and the point of my comment. Both sides attempt to legislate morality ad nauseum.

That's a fallacy and the point of my comment. Both sides attempt to legislate morality ad nauseum.

You can argue that if you like but I'm not buying it. I can't imagine Liberals protesting the construction of a mosque if Bush was still in office. Politicians usually try to pacify their constituents that are the most outspoken and it doesn't get much more outspoken than protesters holding up posters of dead fetuses.

I don't want you to think that I am lumping all Republicans into this category because that definitely is not the case. I'm actually an independent and think both parties are extremely flawed. However, it's hard to deny that the majority of the outspoken controversial Christian sects in this country are openly Republican to the point that some of them practically anoited George W. Bush as a prophet. I don't blame you for not wanting to claim them. No one in their right mind would.

And this is way off topic. We probably should turn a religious thread into a political one.

You can argue that if you like but I'm not buying it. I can't imagine Liberals protesting the construction of a mosque if Bush was still in office. Politicians usually try to pacify their constituents that are the most outspoken and it doesn't get much more outspoken than protesters holding up posters of dead fetuses.

I don't want you to think that I am lumping all Republicans into this category because that definitely is not the case. I'm actually an independent and think both parties are extremely flawed. However, it's hard to deny that the majority of the outspoken controversial Christian sects in this country are openly Republican to the point that some of them practically anoited George W. Bush as a prophet. I don't blame you for not wanting to claim them. No one in their right mind would.

And this is way off topic. We probably should turn a religious thread into a political one.

FWIW, I'm not a Republican.

Abortion is obviously THE divisive morality issue, but doesn't the left counter that with their opposition to the death penalty & military offensives? Isn't the left currently driving a healthy living agenda from coast to coast, Fed to local government? Which falls in line with their history of inacting prohibition. Or don't sin taxes qualify as attempting to legislate morality? We can highlight examples from Tipper Gore's attempt to ban explicit lyrics in music to members of both parties supporting the ban on internet gaming. But, the current president has claimed passing everything from health care to cap-n-trade is a "moral imperative" while also invoking the name of God.

• Upvote 1

Osprey - out of curiosity, what is your fundamental opposition to Presbyterianism? I only ask cuz it struck me as unusual to see it grouped with Catholicism & Lutheranism.

I'm fundamentally opposed to the concept of Pre-determinism, hence my opposition to Lutheranism/Presbyterianism, and I am also fundamentally opposed to the "works" concept of Catholicism/Episcopalianism/Angelicanism.

If I am a Christian but I don't take communion, or get read last rites, why should I have to go to "Purgatory"? It just goes against everything Christ said IMO. Also, If it is already Pre-determined whether I'm going to Heaven or Hell at birth, what is the purpose of life/choice/reason/etc? That is my issue with Predeterminism.

To add, nearly all Christian groups asked have spoken out against the Koran burning in Gainesville, (perhaps not Westboro Baptist).

If we'd only had the same level of denunciation from Muslim groups after 9-11, Fort Hood, Kenya and Tanzania, The recent ruling to stone a woman to death in Iran (after they lashed her 99 times), Darfur, the Rape and murder in the Congo, you get the point.

Typical Kitno "the government shouldn't tell me how to do anything" stance. I love how he always tries to bring this up. :rolleyes:

He's right though. It's not just the Christian Right that tries to legislate morality.