Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Chauncy Billups Anyone?

UPDATE: We checked in with ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher about some potential landing spots for Billups if Denver also decides to trade him.

We've attached that commentary to the bottom of this update.

---

Carmelo Anthony wants out. The Nuggets want J.R. Smith out. And Kenyon Martin, entering the final year of his lucrative contract, is out while he recovers from knee surgery. In addition, Chris Andersen is expected to miss the beginning of the regular season, too, after offseason surgery. ESPN.com's John Hollinger made a good point Thursday via his Twitter page regarding Chauncey Billups' future with the Nuggets.

Hollinger tweeted: "Remember, if the Nuggets trade Melo and rebuild, there's really no point in them keeping Billups either. Could be two All-Stars on market."

Billups is from Denver and welcomed the opportunity to play in front of family and friends, but he may seek a trade to a playoff contender, or the team may see what the can get for the veteran point guard since they are in a rebuilding-mode. Billups, who will turn 34 on Sept. 25, has two years remaining on his contract. He'll make $13.15 million for 2010-11 and $14.2 million for 2011-12, but only $3.7 million of that is guaranteed.

Any teams needing a point guard and who think they can challenge for the NBA title this season should contact the Nuggets.

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher

Billups' leadership could help a number of teams

"Charlotte is in desperate need of a starting point guard and could offer cap relief, a seemingly attractive thing if Denver is starting over. If Golden State is looking to change its lackadaisical culture, Billups could help there, too. The Kings, Nets, Clippers and Grizzlies are relatively young teams that could benefit from his presence, too. But if Billups' dream scenario of riding into the sunset chasing another ring in his hometown has gone poof, the least he'd want is the chance to still chase a ring elsewhere. Teams that would keep the dream alive and have assets to send back are the Rockets, MAGIC and Hawks."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

• Downvote 1

I know Billups is older but I've just seen him torch Nelson over, and over, and over again...only a small portion of his money is gauranteed...Nelson does a lot of great things for this team...but it'll never be good enough for us to win the NBA Championship...just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I don't think he'd push us over the top by himself. Plus, I believe it would mean trading Jameer, which would take us out of the Paul discussion ... if it ever becomes a discussion again. Now if Billups could be packaged with Melo, yes, I'm in. But I don't think it's happening. Otis loves Jameer and Billups isn't THE piece needed for a championship, imo.

A few years I heard a speech given by Devos. He said that Nelson was his all time favorite player, so there is no way Nelson will be traded for anyone imo.

:happypuppy:

Billups isn't the piece that gets us a championship. Our point guard slot isn't the problem, no need to trade a young PG in his prime for old "Mr. Big Shot" who rarely takes or makes big shots anymore.

I don't think he'd push us over the top by himself. Plus, I believe it would mean trading Jameer, which would take us out of the Paul discussion ... if it ever becomes a discussion again. Now if Billups could be packaged with Melo, yes, I'm in. But I don't think it's happening. Otis loves Jameer and Billups isn't THE piece needed for a championship, imo.

See therein lies the rub with every trade being brought to the table on this forum. None of these smaller upgrades are clear "Whoah the Magic are deffinitely contenders now" moves. All of them are small moves meant to get a little better at one position, or meant to get rid of one player that people are currently unhappy with.

The thing is, you don't break up a roster that has posted 2 consecutive 59 win seasons and could really only blame itself for not being in the championship. People want talent? The Magic are talented. People want depth? The Magic have depth. The only trade's now that a championship contending team should be making are ones that are far and away absolute no brainers. Trading an all star pg who has been the team captain for years for a 34 year old all-star at the end of his career who makes more money is not a no brainer. Trading Jameer for far and away the best player at his position and a top 10 player in the league? That is a no brainer.

Also I mean it makes no sense anyway. We want Billups for a championship? He hasn't won one in years. And lets look at last years playoff comparison between the two. Billups: got knocked out in the first round. Jameer? Stepped up big and was for pretty much the whole playoffs, his teams best player and got them into the ECF. Billups is done. Jameer still has lots and lots of burn. And the relationship with Dwight can't be understated. I bet Dwight would swallow the pill if Jameer was traded if it landed a player like Melo or CP3. But too see him get shipped away for an aging veteran that only brings marginal improvement. He had trouble doing that with CLee and Vince. If it happens to Jameer you can say see you later to Dwight in a few years.

See therein lies the rub with every trade being brought to the table on this forum. None of these smaller upgrades are clear "Whoah the Magic are deffinitely contenders now" moves. All of them are small moves meant to get a little better at one position, or meant to get rid of one player that people are currently unhappy with.

The thing is, you don't break up a roster that has posted 2 consecutive 59 win seasons and could really only blame itself for not being in the championship. People want talent? The Magic are talented. People want depth? The Magic have depth. The only trade's now that a championship contending team should be making are ones that are far and away absolute no brainers. Trading an all star pg who has been the team captain for years for a 34 year old all-star at the end of his career who makes more money is not a no brainer. Trading Jameer for far and away the best player at his position and a top 10 player in the league? That is a no brainer.

Also I mean it makes no sense anyway. We want Billups for a championship? He hasn't won one in years. And lets look at last years playoff comparison between the two. Billups: got knocked out in the first round. Jameer? Stepped up big and was for pretty much the whole playoffs, his teams best player and got them into the ECF. Billups is done. Jameer still has lots and lots of burn. And the relationship with Dwight can't be understated. I bet Dwight would swallow the pill if Jameer was traded if it landed a player like Melo or CP3. But too see him get shipped away for an aging veteran that only brings marginal improvement. He had trouble doing that with CLee and Vince. If it happens to Jameer you can say see you later to Dwight in a few years.

I misunderstood you or you made a mistake there. Billups was a champion in 2004 with Pistons.

And actually, I really like Chauncey as a player, as a point guard, as a team leader (I mean, the emotional leader, not the best player on the team), but I understand that move to get Billups for Jammer wouldn't be really good one, because of age and because of Jameer relationship with our team, and most importantly, with Howard.