Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

We will have Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony by 2012

it wasn't hard at all. we just said OK.

also you're comparing our salary situation (92 million) to the financial situation of philly next year (52 million assuming they pick up their team options for everybody and let hawes and smith walk)

Someone could offer Young a max deal and they wouldn't be over the tax.

You think the decision to resign Redick for $14M first year w/ lux tax was an easy inconsequential decision - ok if you say so? and NO I am not comparing the two cap situations in the recontextualization you are trying to spin. What I said was that if it was a difficult decision for the Magic who are in contention mode and are ok with having a high payroll then think about how difficult a decision it will be for a team that is trying to slash payroll to match what teams are going to offer Young.

Trading away an 18m contract costs 14.4m in returning salaries.

don't forget Carters guaranteed $4M for 11/12

Also, rookies on the final year of their rookie deals have little value, and they have NO value as expirings or as CAP relief, at least in the way you're suggesting.

I don't understand, why don't rookie deals have value? can they not be traded? does the salary not come off the books when they end?

Rookie deals have value as expirings, OR as young players on cheaper deals you could potentially extend into longer term, but also more expensive contracts. They cannot be both, as you suggested. Anthony Randolph is either a player with a team option, or young talent worth retaining. We don't get to cut his salary AND keep him, and if we did keep him, he'd instantly become more expensive.

As for the Carter TO, I get that, but how much of a deal is guaranteed doesn't affect how it's traded.

Rookie deals have value as expirings, OR as young players on cheaper deals you could potentially extend into longer term, but also more expensive contracts. They cannot be both, as you suggested. Anthony Randolph is either a player with a team option, or young talent worth retaining. We don't get to cut his salary AND keep him, and if we did keep him, he'd instantly become more expensive.

As for the Carter TO, I get that, but how much of a deal is guaranteed doesn't affect how it's traded.

also, i'd like to add that when trading players to a team over the cap they can no longer be included in a multiplayer deal for two months

that is what I thought I said or meant to say anyways- that we had a choice to keep or let go off the books and that if we wanted to keep we had the upper hand at retaining them.

I said that about the $4M guaranteed because it would most likely be part of any trade as $3M cash

that is what I thought I said or meant to say anyways- that we had a choice to keep or let go off the books and that if we wanted to keep we had the upper hand at retaining them.

I said that about the $4M guaranteed because it would most likely be part of any trade as $3M cash

if the trade can be broken down into separate deals we'd be able to cover the $4 million

also, i'd like to add that when trading players to a team over the cap they can no longer be included in a multiplayer deal for two months

right but that trade idea you re-excavated (again!) was started at least a month ago - and I specifically said that it was a move to be made early in the summer to allow flexibility moving forward

if the trade can be broken down into separate deals we'd be able to cover the $4 million

yes that's right that number could be spread out in my multiple player scenario - but in your single player scenario there is only one transaction.

right but that trade idea you re-excavated (again!) was started at least a month ago - and I specifically said that it was a move to be made early in the summer to allow flexibility moving forward

How could we have made that trade earlier in the summer? Most of those players played for the Warriors earlier in the summer.

are you saying that you don't think Iguodala and Young are good rebuilding blocks?

Yes, that is what I'm saying...particularly with Iguodala. He is overpaid and has hit the prime of his career. Young is a nice player, who has the potential to be a very nice roleplayer. If I was the Nuggets GM, I wouldn't consider either of those two guys attractive rebuilding blocks. Particularly since Young's rookie contract is nearly up.

Why is Philly being discussed in this thread? What am I missing? They have not been mentioned in the Melo running. Moreover, Melo would have to sign an extension with them, which logic says he would not.