Sign in to follow this  
magicLA

NOLA trades Collison = no CP3 to Magic?

This trade definitely ends the discussions of CP3 being traded....

Right now NO is running through the Cleveland playbook. Conducting any trade that CP3 would agree with....

But as we all know... its really about the outcome... If NO fails horribly... then what...

For us... we should start looking at other players who are more obtainable... like Carmelo... he hasnt signed the extension will be a free agent... Denver will get nothing in return if Melo decides to walk.

New York Knicks is an NBA Trend... They still dont have a good team that will compete for Cahmpionships... they are atleast 3yrs away if not more.

• Downvote 1

"New Hornets' GM Dell Demps has been in frequent communication with Chris Paul as Demps pursues moves to improve the team's roster."

"We exchanged numerous texts, and he said he wanted to be involved in the process," Demps said of Paul. "We thought that this was a good opportunity to involve him. It’s a player’s league, it’s a player’s game, why not ask the guys that are playing? It was not running (the trade) by him, but asking questions. You can never ask too many questions."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68655/20100812/demps_paul_in_regular_contact_prior_to_wednesday_trades/

This trade seems to be Chris Paul approved, while others think not. It's obvious that Chris does in fact plan on staying or else NO wouldn't have got rid of Collison, plain and simple. Chris is good friends with Melo so maybe he already knows he can get him next summer, but I think it's safe to say that our chances are 0% of landing him this year or the next, regardless of how they play next season.

This trade seems to be one done just for the sake of making a move.

And to sharpshooter, other guy, I agree that Vince took a step back last season. You are making it sound like I said he was still at the top of his game, I didnt. All the players listed in this thread for the most part are still behind Vince production wise despite his step back last season. Thats one of the reasons why he has reached scapegoat status here, along with throwing him in rediculous trades for bench players that likely wont get much PT here anyway. Vince just took too many shots last year, and it wasnt his fault. He was brought in to take shots. This year I believe he will be the 3rd option at best on offense and his efficiency will go up. He has yet to reach role player status in his usage yet. When he does I believe he will be very effective.

I just want to save him for the deadline, give him a chance to shoot a better %, that was all that was lacking from him really. That can be improved upon. I just dont like these sideways trades mentioned.

I think we'll have no choice but to keep him till the deadline. He could show promise, which would increase his trade value or give us some incentive to shelter him in Orlando; Or he could decline which would lead the Magic to stick with him because we have no suitors for guy.

I'd like to include VC in a trade if we can get someone who can legitimately contribute to winning a ring. IDC if it's a one-for-one, a multi-team deal, or what have you, we need to win games...we have a thoroughbred of a team in the same division.

I'd throw in Dwight for Anthony Randolph too. I mean if we're gonna downgrade, go big or go home, right?

Why don't you quantify your statement instead of taking the easy out with silly sarcasm. Read this or this to view statistical information that backs why I think this trade would benefit the Magic based on the condition that Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat will be traded in the near future.

Look at the positions at which we can upgrade: (Center) there is no one better than Dwight; (PF) - Rashard's contract and available talent at that position pretty much negates any chances of a serious upgrade at PF; (PG) there are really only a handful of pg's that could upgrade the pg position and justify trading Jameer - outside of the CP3 speculation, none of them are even remotely available (Wings) VC is on his way out, QRich is 30 years old, Pietrus is definitely not a starter, JJ is good and young but not versatile enough to be this teams go to wing/defender...it is pretty clear that the biggest improvement this team could make is at the wing position.

Show a better option for improving the wing position that has some remote chance at happening. Who? Iguodala and his enormous crippling contract and game that is entirely incompatible with the Magic's personnel? Name one wing thats out there that (1) is available on the market via trade or free agency (2) has a style of play that doesn't derail the current Magic offense causing it to entirely change to adapt to them (3) does not have a crippling contract that would jeopardize Dwight's impending re-signing in 2 summers

....please show me that player.

And if you say just let Vince's contract expire you didn't read my posts that explain (with salary data) why we can't just let his contract expire (unless management wants to pay his $19M) or if we waive him and eat the $4M kicker which of course will also mean we will be facing a serious downgrade in talent at the wing positions next year.

I spoke with Nick Anderson at Fields last week - no real inside information - just confirming what is pretty much said on the boards already. I am putting things into my words here.

He did say that CP3 wants out of New Orleans. He said that the NO management isn't going to be increasing spending. I asked him about CP3 going to NY - he didn't see it, but the deal would be for Carmello to join next year, but he didn't think that would guarantee him any championship. He said that CP3 would teach Dwight the game of basketball and I could tell he saw a ton of potential for Dwight with CP3. He was very high on CP3 - so that is good.

He thought that losing our best defender in Matt Barnes was a negative for the Magic. He said Jameer and Duhon were both good, but CP3 would be huge for Orlando - my inferences based on our conversation.

So, nothing really new - he was very nice about talking and pretty much confirmed all that has been said.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the recent trade kills any possibilities for CP3 coming to Orlando - I think it would mean that we would have to probably trade Jameer as part of the deal, but that is just my thinking or Duhon, but I doubt NO would want to take Duhon. Anyway, like all of us have said CP3 has 2 years left on his contract, I believe so he can't necessarily force a trade.

I wouldn't say it was completely dead. It might be tough to put it together this year, but it could still happen during the season and Jameer is a good point guard - if you throw in Gortat and VC it can be a financial option and rebuilding with some young talent.

I don't know, but I think Orlando has a legitimate shot at getting CP3 - or maybe I should say, I don't think it is a NO WAY thing - I thing it is still possible. I don't think any team would want to trade CP3, but in time you never know.

I spoke with Nick Anderson at Fields last week - no real inside information - just confirming what is pretty much said on the boards already. I am putting things into my words here.

He did say that CP3 wants out of New Orleans. He said that the NO management isn't going to be increasing spending. I asked him about CP3 going to NY - he didn't see it, but the deal would be for Carmello to join next year, but he didn't think that would guarantee him any championship. He said that CP3 would teach Dwight the game of basketball and I could tell he saw a ton of potential for Dwight with CP3. He was very high on CP3 - so that is good.

He thought that losing our best defender in Matt Barnes was a negative for the Magic. He said Jameer and Duhon were both good, but CP3 would be huge for Orlando - my inferences based on our conversation.

So, nothing really new - he was very nice about talking and pretty much confirmed all that has been said.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the recent trade kills any possibilities for CP3 coming to Orlando - I think it would mean that we would have to probably trade Jameer as part of the deal, but that is just my thinking or Duhon, but I doubt NO would want to take Duhon. Anyway, like all of us have said CP3 has 2 years left on his contract, I believe so he can't necessarily force a trade.

I wouldn't say it was completely dead. It might be tough to put it together this year, but it could still happen during the season and Jameer is a good point guard - if you throw in Gortat and VC it can be a financial option and rebuilding with some young talent.

I don't know, but I think Orlando has a legitimate shot at getting CP3 - or maybe I should say, I don't think it is a NO WAY thing - I thing it is still possible. I don't think any team would want to trade CP3, but in time you never know.

I honestly believe that if CP3 gets traded, he will get traded to the Magic. I doubt NO would trade him to a team in the West, and I don't know if some of the teams who seem to have better offers than us (Nets, Charlotte) would be willing to give up major pieces for someone who hasn't expressed interest in playing there. It all depends on if NO feels the need to trade him. It seems like they aren't even thinking about trading him at this point, but everything could change once the trade deadline rolls around.

Andre Iguodala's contract would not jeopardize the re-signing of Dwight Howard, would not cause problems with the offense, and would be far better than anyone you decided to mention.

Oh, and that trade is just absolutely garbage. You're pretty much talking about trading our biggest trading chips for more expirings and a guy that wouldn't make our team ANY better. Even if Azubuike was able to come close to Carter's production (which he wouldn't. The higher his USG% is, the more inconsistent he gets, not to mention he'd probably be in the negative assists department), how the hell would that help this team? Oh, great, we were able to retain a cheaper, younger player with similar talent (well, not really), but now we have NO trading assets. Now, all of the sudden the team is over the cap (even with Buike, Curry, and Walker's expirings) AND over the luxury tax with hardly any real assets.

That move would put us absolutely nowhere and take away actual trading assets. Oh, not to mention, once again, costing some more chemistry issues. I mean, you're talking about giving starter minutes and a scorer role to a guy that highly benefited from the Warriors' scrub city system and actually never made his team any better offensively while on the floor. Not to mention his below-average foul drawing. We don't need anymore of that.

• Upvote 3

Andre Iguodala's contract would not jeopardize the re-signing of Dwight Howard, would not cause problems with the offense, and would be far better than anyone you decided to mention.

Oh, and that trade is just absolutely garbage. You're pretty much talking about trading our biggest trading chips for more expirings and a guy that wouldn't make our team ANY better. Even if Azubuike was able to come close to Carter's production (which he wouldn't. The higher his USG% is, the more inconsistent he gets, not to mention he'd probably be in the negative assists department), how the hell would that help this team? Oh, great, we were able to retain a cheaper, younger player with similar talent (well, not really), but now we have NO trading assets. Now, all of the sudden the team is over the cap (even with Buike, Curry, and Walker's expirings) AND over the luxury tax with hardly any real assets.

That move would put us absolutely nowhere and take away actual trading assets. Oh, not to mention, once again, costing some more chemistry issues. I mean, you're talking about giving starter minutes and a scorer role to a guy that highly benefited from the Warriors' scrub city system and actually never made his team any better offensively while on the floor. Not to mention his below-average foul drawing. We don't need anymore of that.

+1. Can't believe how god awful that trade idea is.

+1, Pancakes with some heavy artillery

I would call this a very big gamble for the Hornets. They traded their best trade piece and all they got back was Ariza, who is a good role player but I don't think that he will make them a contender. The Hornet's real problem starts at the trade deadline this year because if they are not in title contention the trade demands might come back up and this time they will need a starting PG. At that point The Hornets can still trade Paul and Okafor for young talent/picks/expiring contracts, or gamble the future of the team that they can upgrade the team but if they can’t Paul gets a lot of leverage and teams will not be willing to dish out as much for a possible year or half year rental. In short if The Hornets start off poorly, I like the chances Chris Paul will be playing for The Magic.