Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official NFL 2010 Season Thread

Someone explain this to me:

Today´s game. Jaguars and Raiders tied at 31. Less than 2 min left. Jones-Drew breaks free for a long run towards the end zone. IF he slides and stops at the 1, Jacksonville runs out the clock and they win it on a FG.

But no, he scored, and let Oakland the opportunity to come back. Campbell drove them past midfield, but they could not score. But what is in Jones Drew´s mind?

He said afterwards, that even though he should have stopped at the 1, he wanted the TD because "he have not done it in quite a long time".

I am sorry if the win was less important than your individual accolades, Maurice.

As a Niners fan, i recall the game at Atlanta earlier this season. up 16-14, Clements intercepted M. Ryan and went almost all the way. There were less than 2 min on the clock also. Instead of sliding. he went for the TD. Roddy White forced the fumble, Falcons recovered, drove all the field, and won it on a FG.

Standing 1 game behind the division leaders, that game could very well be the difference between getting into the PLAYOFFS or not.

What are this players thinking about?

Kickers miss chip shot field goat attempts all the time. I would much rather get the guaranteed touchdown and go back up by 7 then kneel down at the 1 and attempt a field goal. The worst that could have happened (unless the Raiders went for 2) was tie the game back up.

Someone explain this to me:

Today´s game. Jaguars and Raiders tied at 31. Less than 2 min left. Jones-Drew breaks free for a long run towards the end zone. IF he slides and stops at the 1, Jacksonville runs out the clock and they win it on a FG.

But no, he scored, and let Oakland the opportunity to come back. Campbell drove them past midfield, but they could not score. But what is in Jones Drew´s mind?

He said afterwards, that even though he should have stopped at the 1, he wanted the TD because "he have not done it in quite a long time".

I am sorry if the win was less important than your individual accolades, Maurice.

As a Niners fan, i recall the game at Atlanta earlier this season. up 16-14, Clements intercepted M. Ryan and went almost all the way. There were less than 2 min on the clock also. Instead of sliding. he went for the TD. Roddy White forced the fumble, Falcons recovered, drove all the field, and won it on a FG.

Standing 1 game behind the division leaders, that game could very well be the difference between getting into the PLAYOFFS or not.

What are this players thinking about?

You always take guaranteed points. Always.

Also, looks like I locked up the final playoff spot in our league.

Manu vs. Osprey

Adam vs. Trey

Let the battle begin.

Also, looks like I locked up the final playoff spot in our league.

Manu vs. Osprey

Adam vs. Trey

Let the battle begin.

Still not sure i clinch the #1 Seed, Barnettej has the 3 Texans remaining playing today (Schaub, Johnson and Foster). It could be a nail biter.

Regarding my earlier point about the Jones Drew play. I disagree with both your opinions posted before. You don't ALWAYS take guaranteed points.

It is much EASIER driving all the way for a game tying TD against a prevent defense (how many times i've seen it?) than missing a very short FG (again, how many times we've seen it? Obviously less times than the first option).

And that is only in the Jags game. In the other example i wrote, the Niners game against Atlanta, Clements behaviour is inexcusable because the game was ending and Niners were leading.

Still not sure i clinch the #1 Seed, Barnettej has the 3 Texans remaining playing today (Schaub, Johnson and Foster). It could be a nail biter.

Regarding my earlier point about the Jones Drew play. I disagree with both your opinions posted before. You don't ALWAYS take guaranteed points.

It is much EASIER driving all the way for a game tying TD against a prevent defense (how many times i've seen it?) than missing a very short FG (again, how many times we've seen it? Obviously less times than the first option).

And that is only in the Jags game. In the other example i wrote, the Niners game against Atlanta, Clements behaviour is inexcusable because the game was ending and Niners were leading.

Here's the thing, what happens if Drew takes a knee, then they kneel to run out the clock, or there's a penalty or a bad snap on the FG attempt or any number of other issues. The worst that could have happened after MoJo scored was Oakland coming back and tying the game, sending it to overtime.

You take the guaranteed points ALWAYS and put it on your defense and special teams to keep them from scoring a touchdown. Contrary to some beliefs, its incredibly difficult to march the length of the field and score a touchdown in regular time let alone in a 1:00 minute-drill.

Here's the thing, what happens if Drew takes a knee, then they kneel to run out the clock, or there's a penalty or a bad snap on the FG attempt or any number of other issues. The worst that could have happened after MoJo scored was Oakland coming back and tying the game, sending it to overtime.

You take the guaranteed points ALWAYS and put it on your defense and special teams to keep them from scoring a touchdown. Contrary to some beliefs, its incredibly difficult to march the length of the field and score a touchdown in regular time let alone in a 1:00 minute-drill.

Not so much against a prevent defense, who will let you get your yards and even get out of the field, and cannot prevent anything, by the way.

As i told before, i've seen WAY MANY MORE TD's to tie the game in last plays of regulation than Missed 19 or 25 yarders, or botched attempts.

If there is a penalty, instead of being a 19 yarder, it would be a 24, 29, or worst case 34 yardes. I think the average accuracy around the league for a 34 yarder (worst case scenario, almost impossible i would say) is around 90%.

If the Jaguars can't keep the Raiders out of the end zone with less than a minute left in the game, then they don't deserve to win it. It's as simple as that. At some point the coach has to be able to send his defense out on to the field and expect them to do their jobs. The idea of MJD deliberately kneeling down at the 1 so that the defense doesn't have to defend against a possible tied game is absurd. I would seriously quit watching football if that became a regular policy. That would suck all of the excitment out of the experience.

If the Jaguars can't keep the Raiders out of the end zone with less than a minute left in the game, then they don't deserve to win it. It's as simple as that. At some point the coach has to be able to send his defense out on to the field and expect them to do their jobs. The idea of MJD deliberately kneeling down at the 1 so that the defense doesn't have to defend against a possible tied game is absurd. I would seriously quit watching football if that became a regular policy. That would suck all of the excitment out of the experience.

Maybe you should have quitted watching last year...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291115020

AST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Maurice Jones-Drew saw a clear path to the end zone and somehow fought the urge to walk across the goal line.

The Jacksonville running back stopped at the 1 and took a knee, keeping the clock ticking and setting up Josh Scobee's 21-yard field goal that gave the Jaguars a 24-22 victory over the New York Jets as time expired Sunday.

"Sorry to my fantasy owners," Jones-Drew deadpanned. "I apologize. I had myself today. It was a tough call, but whatever it takes to get the victory, that's what counts."

With the Jaguars (5-4) facing second-and-6 from the 10, Jones-Drew took a handoff up the middle and went down to give Jacksonville first-and-goal from the 1 with about 1 1/2 minutes left.

"They said get a close as you can and take a knee," said Jones-Drew, who had an earlier 33-yard touchdown run. "I was looking for someone to tackle me."

I did say "regular policy" as in something that becomes commonplace. I personally hate the choice last year as well but at least that one makes more sense. A touchdown by the Giants would have won that game. The most the Raiders could have done is tie the game. You don't give up a guaranteed 7 point lead in the hopes that Scobee makes a field goal. It's just a very poor decision.