Magic Fan 4 Life

Bob Vander Weide: Expect to see more Brandon Bass next season

I wonder how many minutes with RA play then? If Bass will be playing more minutes at the 4 there is no room for RA unless there is an injury.

Hopefully his play is only limited to garbage time and against teams that are lousy.

I liked the possibility of "Rhyno" developing into a good player coming into the season but realized shortly thereafter that he has a lot of work to do.

I don't want RA playing almost at all unless it is in one of the two aforementioned scenarios.

Your right. We should start Gortat too.

huh?

gortat gets minutes. might not be a lot but he gets minutes. he doesn't ride the pine like bass and gets to play in every game.

• Downvote 3

When our threes weren't dropping against Boston, and Gortat/Bass was brought in to play alongside Dwight, would we perform better if our team was familiar with this adjustment? I believe so. There was a reason we didn't stick to the 1-4 system.

No. Gortat hardly gives the team anything offensively, clogs the paint not only for Dwight (and makes it easier to double him), but for our guards (the ones that rarely drive in the first place). Bass clogs the paint in another way: he never knows where the hell he's supposed to be. Bad spacing to the max.

The reason we didn't stick to the 1-4 system was because Lewis had to rest and Rhyno was a liability out there. Gortat was the clear option over Bass, because although he might not give the same output offensively, he makes up for it defensively and on the boards (you know, when he's not dropping the ball).

Our team is very familiar with the system, but the players we have for it aren't the best suited. Bass isn't a good enough rebounder to make up our loss of spacing the floor and shooting threes by grabbing boards, and Gortat isn't good enough offensively to not make defenders double Dwight on the spot.

Give me Dirk, Gasol, KG a few years ago, Bosh/Boozer/Amar'e, maybe guys like McDyess, and it could work.

Also, keep in mind that you only change systems if you're clearly better with it. A team cannot just switch back and forth between styles of play and expect to be great at it. It's much better to be excellent at your style of play than just "good" at two styles of play. Stretch four wasn't the problem. We weren't getting hammered by their PFs or on the boards. Our problems involved our PF being sick (and still playing his heart out defensively, even if he's not the most formidable defender), our wingmen not playing up to par (notice I didn't even say "good"... they weren't even mediocre), and Nelson not being aggressive consistently.

No matter how many systems this played with, those guys weren't going to get it done the way they were performing.

Our system isn't good enough to achieve the ultimate goal of a championship. The last two postseasons demonstrate how Orlando needs flexibility in adjusting to opponents who _master_ our 1-4 system. Whether it be Bass or Gortat or Anderson, we need proficiency in switching to a more traditional PF when times call for it. And since we haven't upgraded our PF position, the regular season is the best time to practice with what we've got. I can't stomach another postseason frenzy to adapt our system (when we should already have tested alternatives).

bingo

glad I'm not the only one who see's how flawed stan's system is. its just constant jacking of 3s. when the 3s aren't hitting he panics instead of trying to be a good coach and run some offense plays. he did an inexcusable bad job trying to counter boston's defense.

• Downvote 6

You can have the greatest system in the world. If your players do not perform up to expectations at the right time you're going to lose. Our guys simply didn't perform the way they could have.

Good point! The triangle system employed by Phil Jackson, although successful, has not produced uninterupted success year after year. But to the defense of Bass & others that did not get a lot of time (Ryan) when placed in the heat of the battles, were not as affective, because what little faith SVG has shown in these guys translates into....what we witnessed last season!! Not good for the deepest bench in the league! So I think the problem it is systemic.

If SVG is able to employ or develop the stretch 4 and the conventional style......should provide more W's!! IMHO

Can Bass be our version of Carlos Boozer? aren't they about the same height? It would be nice to see what Bass can really do and i like management forcing SVG's hand....I hope SVG goes back to the drawing board and adds some more wrinkles to our offense

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can Bass be our version of Carlos Boozer? aren't they about the same height? It would be nice to see what Bass can really do and i like management forcing SVG's hand....I hope SVG goes back to the drawing board and adds some more wrinkles to our offense

Bass will never be the passer that Boozer is.

Untill Bass learns our system he won't recieve PT. You could also flip that and say he can't learn our system unless he recieves PT so who knows.

Untill Bass learns our sysyem he won't recieve PT. You could also flip that and say he can't learn our system unless he recieves PT so who knows.

I don't think Bass "doesn't know the system", I just think he's a bonehead sometimes like Gortat. They make too many mental errors during the course of a game and let that dictate how the rest of their night plays out. Same goes for VC with his offensive game. He takes a couple dumb shots and you can almost guarantee he'll finish shooting 3-15 for the night.

Bass does something great then immediately screws up causing the positive act to be for naught.

He did this even in the Boston series. Thus the lack of playing time.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. We need a bruiser PF to get in there and bang and rebound and have a post game and be an enforcer. No more of this shooting threes every possession crap.

Please, Otis, get us someone on this team with a post game. Anyone. Any kind of post game.

His name is Rashard Lewis.

It doesn't matter if Bass learns the system, he doesn't fit the system. His poor defense and lack of rebounding is why he rots on the bench. Maybe if he was a real bruiser and could rebound and play defense he would get minutes....but he's not. I see no positive in giving him any minutes. He was a mistake by Otis and hopefully he's gone soon. He's the biggest waste of money on the roster.