Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

C. Paul trade adventure; ESPN TrueHoop(pg. 17)

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by patport21:

quote:

It's Trey, what do you expect?

Although I could definitely see Paul's assist% and overall assist numbers dropping if he played for the Magic, maybe even significantly.

What makes you believe that... he would have Dwight and be surrounded by shooters?

The type of offense we employ usually does not allow a player to stack on assists. While Paul and Howard would be deadly, Paul still wouldn't be able to cash as many assists as he does with New Orleans. First of all, he wouldn't have the ball nearly as much as he did there. There's also the fact that the team shots a lot of threes, and those are lower percentage shots (and although a 3 is 1.5x better than a 2, you still don't get 1.5 assists for it). They also do not award hockey assists, which this team gets plenty of.

I mean, the team would be much better with Paul, just making a point that he most likely wouldn't be getting more than 10 assists a game.

he might up his scoring average though.

Besides Jason Kidd, who the hell is a "pass first PG" in the league today? Rondo? I really can't think of many.

quote:

Besides Jason Kidd, who the hell is a "pass first PG" in the league today? Rondo? I really can't think of many.

Nash.

he'd be fine averaging 15-17 ppg

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by patport21:

quote:

It's Trey, what do you expect?

Although I could definitely see Paul's assist% and overall assist numbers dropping if he played for the Magic, maybe even significantly.

What makes you believe that... he would have Dwight and be surrounded by shooters?

The type of offense we employ usually does not allow a player to stack on assists. While Paul and Howard would be deadly, Paul still wouldn't be able to cash as many assists as he does with New Orleans. First of all, he wouldn't have the ball nearly as much as he did there. There's also the fact that the team shots a lot of threes, and those are lower percentage shots (and although a 3 is 1.5x better than a 2, you still don't get 1.5 assists for it). They also do not award hockey assists, which this team gets plenty of.

I mean, the team would be much better with Paul, just making a point that he most likely wouldn't be getting more than 10 assists a game.

he might up his scoring average though.

Without Carter (or another volume shooter), absolutely. I wonder how many possessions we'd run through Paul. I'm so used to seeing two guards handling most of the play making/scoring that it'd be interesting to see a guy handle both roles (effectively might I add) and still be useful in other areas.

Oh, and by interesting I mean totally awesome.

quote:

quote:

Nash.

he'd be fine averaging 15-17 ppg

I thought about him, but in the half-court, he operates like most good point guards do. He'll make a play and will take the best shot, whether it's an open look/lane for himself or whether there's a better look for another guy around the rim/perimeter.

I don't really consider that pass first. I think he just has an extremely high BBIQ and vision, as well as passing, so he's able not only to recognize who has the best shot, but he's also able to connect on it. I guess that's true for most elite PGs. It's not so much about just wanting to set your teammates up, but more about wanting to get the best possible shot.

I think this is exactly what Jameer does, but unfortunately for him his vision isn't at elite level and neither is his passing.

quote:

Pass first/ shoot first is a retarded term any way.

I too hope this phrase dies some day. It's totally inaccurate when describing a PG.

More Eddie Rivera from ESPN TrueHoop...

Question: Otis said he thinks Vince Carter and Brandon Bass will benefit the most from another year in Van Gundy

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

More Eddie Rivera from ESPN TrueHoop...

Question: Otis said he thinks Vince Carter and Brandon Bass will benefit the most from another year in Van Gundy

quote:
Why break up our team for Paul when we could use Gortat, Bass, or Vince to get a dominate SF?

With this whole superteam, friends pooling together idea that might have been started... if we were to get Paul, I don't see how we couldn't be considered in the list of favorites to land Carmelo Anthony next summer.

I can't even fathom the rivalry in a scenario like that...

Minnesota is the ticket of getting rid of Okafors contract. T'Wolves want Rubio bad. Rubio and Fran play on the same team and both contracts expire at the same time. If we can get T'Wolves to take on Okafor and give them the rights to Fran, I don't see why they would say no. Rubio would then be more willing to jump to the NBA with Fran on the T'Wolves. Maybe Rubio can convince Navarro to go for another stint in the NBA with the T'Wolves. No FA is going to Minnesota any time soon so having cap space is a waste. Then they would have Okafor to play center. The only player they would have to trade away is Brewer or someone of similar salary to the Hornets.

If your Minnesota, I don't see why you don't jump at this opportunity.

In my scenario we are only giving up Orton and VC. We keep Meer with the intent of trading him somewhere else, maybe back home to Philly or more realistic to Indiana.