Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

Orl Sentinel-Retire Shaq and Penny's Numbers

Though Hardaway and Shaq didn't reach the peak, they were the first to take Magic toward the mountaintop.

They created a buzz with a young franchise in a city with exactly one street block of entertainment, ironically called "Church Street."

They made an NBA city out of a Mickey Mouse town.

They created a benchmark for Dwight Howard and Co. to measure themselves against and surpass.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...0723,0,3270006.story

We now take a break from your regularly scheduled Chris Paul talk to bring you something different.

When I saw the title I immediatley thought that I would hate the article. The writer takes a little bit of a different take on the subject but, I'm still very against the idea. What do you all think?

Let's wait and retire somebody who deserves it. Retiring Shaq and Penny comes off as just doing it to get a number up there.

Shaq bailed the first opportunity he got. Why honor that?

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

Let's wait and retire somebody who deserves it. Retiring Shaq and Penny comes off as just doing it to get a number up there.

Shaq bailed the first opportunity he got. Why honor that?

this

Had Penny not gotten hurt and spent his entire career in Orlando, there would be no discussion here. Number 1 would have been in the rafters already.

Shaq?? Now that's gotta be a joke right?

Whattttt? They played here for a short time and didnt even win one title (or game in the finals). If that is the standard to retire a jersey then boston or LA wouldnt even have a number left to use on an active player at this point. Those guys were just good players that laced up on our team over the years...no more.