Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

For those think Q. Rich's defense is as good as Barnes witness Mr. Hollinger(Insider)

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Im not a GM...but I know everyone knows about the correlation between defense and winning championships.

Defense doesn't win championships, offense does. Both teams could play impeccable defense, defense so great that the score is 0-0 throughout regulation, but one team still has to outscore the other in order to win. Our series against Charlotte was a low scoring one, but they got swept because they couldn't score worth a ****.

Our offense became stagnant against Boston for several reasons, one of them being that they sagged off Barnes whenever they could, and the other end, Pierce abused him, so let's not anoint him the term "defensive stopper". We've grown more versatile this offseason, that's all you can ask for at this point.

quote:
Originally posted by JRam027:

I'll just say this: I'm gonna love not seeing Barnes' defender leave him to go double up on someone else.

Good point.

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

barnes doesn't really do such a great job on guys like carmelo, kobe, d wade, durant, lebron, etc. he's no ron artest.......

but he is a better defender than q-rich but i just don't understand why otis signed him. is it because he can shoot 3s? i don't like that stan and otis are on the same page.

i think they're on the same page, just not reading the same paragraph with a signing like bass last year compared to how much we used him. i'll be the first to criticize stan for the whole gortat first off the bench as a power forward thing during the playoffs, but i think the coach has alot of greatness in him if he stops being so arrogant with his lineups. its just looking like if something isn't working out in his head, then he thinks it will never work out on the court, and that's not a good way to continue his coaching. i wouldn't fire him anytime soon, he's done alot of great things and will continue to do them. i think a stan run team needs a fast combo guard back there defending and making quick cuts to the basket, and i know i'm still running the clee train here, but i think anyone in this frame would do.

Sigh. So Junkie has decided this is the Orlando player to hate on this year and before he's even played a game for us. I look forward to all the pointless little articles and digs at him . . . not.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that they would much rather have Barnes over Richardson. It's not exactly an earth shattering change though is it and if letting go of Barnes meant we improve the PG position AND keep one of our better rotational players then i'm all for it.

I'll judge him when he has actually settled into the system and you know . . . played some games before I run my mouth on what he supposedly can and can't do on defence.

and again - sigh.

Q is an overall better player and gives us more options at SF/SG and he can handle teh ball if needed. He is a TEAM defensive guy and by no means a stopper type player.

I liked Matt Barnes for us and the edge he brought but other than that he was not that impressive. He failed shutting down key guys in the playoffs. MP was actually better than he was in the short time he got. Matt can't explode for 20 plus like Q can. He also was not a great ball handler which we have been missing since Hedo.

Overall its not a sexy move but an upgrade. I agree having Lee would have been better than any of these guys!

quote:

Highly respected writer...even from SVG.

quote:

Richardson inks with Magic

On the same day the Heat nabbed Haslem and Miller, Miami's top rival for Eastern supremacy added one of their leftovers by signing Quentin Richardson to a multiyear deal worth a reported $7.5 million-$8 million. Richardson can hit 3s from the corner, which makes him a good fit in Orlando's system, and he's a good team defender who loves to take charges.

He's slow as molasses, however, and can't be counted on to be the on-ball stopper that Matt Barnes was a year ago. I presume the Magic will promote Mickael Pietrus into that role and bring Richardson off the bench. Nonetheless, it was a good save after Barnes reportedly turned down the same offer; once they match J.J. Redick's offer sheet, it should more or less wrap up Orlando's offseason.

Slow as molasses, huh John???...Thanks for the take.

As I said on another thread...not sure about the money issues or how much Barnes is gonna get this summer...but put me in the camp of thinking it's a mistake...especially with the tude and effort Matt Barnes gave.

Defense wins Championships!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...reeagentmoves-100713

matt was not that great a defender. i liked his hustle though. every team needs a barnes type. i really think that brandon bass can play some small forward. not against a kobe or lbj, but against some of the slower guys, he could and he is as tough as they come. pietrus will do fine with the defensive role. he just needs to find the hoop more, and not just wait for the three's.

Isn't it suspect that this guy who apparently is a good role player and does his job well for the cheap, keeps moving from team to team with former teams having little to no interest in retaining his services?

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

Im not a GM...but I know everyone knows about the correlation between defense and winning championships.

Defense doesn't win championships, offense does. Both teams could play impeccable defense, defense so great that the score is 0-0 throughout regulation, but one team still has to outscore the other in order to win. Our series against Charlotte was a low scoring one, but they got swept because they couldn't score worth a ****.

Our offense became stagnant against Boston for several reasons, one of them being that they sagged off Barnes whenever they could, and the other end, Pierce abused him, so let's not anoint him the term "defensive stopper". We've grown more versatile this offseason, that's all you can ask for at this point.

i can honestly say that you watch the game from more than one angle. a lot of people up here tend to look at one persons faults and play the blame game, but if you look at the whole game you can see that in a lost it is usually all sorts of things that happen. and bad calls are one of them.