Sign in to follow this  
magicfan_since92

The Orlando Magic as a frachise...

Ok so I was watching the game from about 2 years ago, christmas day, when Turkgolu hit a game winning shot at the buzzer to beat the Celtics and got to thinking. Man, was that team really a better team then what Orlando has now? Now before you get mad, just think, we had a playmaker (Hedo), a defensive athletic wing who can shoot 3's (Maurice Evans), hell we even had Dooling, and Arroyo (Decent players).

Then I got to thinking about just last year, we had a back up point gaurd (Alston), a young talented sg (Lee), Playmaker (Turk), and even though Jameer got hurt he was balling out that year. Then I started to think, man if we had just retained that team instead of overreacting to losing to the Lakers, this could've been the year.

Then I began thinking about the entire Orlando Magic history, and how they always seem to come out as losers. I mean really, Orlando has drafted (and attained) some talented players and just basiclly given them away. Just to name some Shaq, Billups, C.Webber (Even though they got Penny) and B. Wallace. Then the whole Grant Hill fiasco, Not drafting Danny Granger. I mean other players too like Mike Miller, Anderson Varejoa, and plenty others that slip my mind at the moment.

I mean when you think about it Orando could have been won thier champsionships and had a dynasty. The only thing is horrible personel desicions (Drafts, Trades, Free Agency). I mean they also had some bright spots (Drafting Dwight, and trading for Jameer), but really this organization has underachieved for over 20 years. The worst thing about it is that I don't see anything changing, especially now with the "super team" in Miami. Not to say that other teams in the league haven't made mistakes also, but this is ridiculous. I love the Magic, but I feel as though bad management will always haunt this team.

Discuss....

It's pretty easy to look back and say how it could have worked, who we should have kept, looked for, etc. What you forget are 2 things:

1. Where that player was in their development when they are part of the Magic. Some are hot at first then fizzle. Others take a few years to develop...like JJ. Some come in as a "star" but don't mesh right away.

2. How they fit into the plays, players and coaching at the time.

Who's to say that Turk would have been as good had he stayed? But there was a good chemistry that had been built for the 2009 finals team.

I think a year "under our belts" with VC, a full season with RL etc will make s great difference.

BB is not a "static" thing...it's in a constant state of flux due to injuries, development, suspensions with the cast that's assembled.

Yes, we all can look back...but I think Otis and staff have shown a far superior "eye" to developing a championship team than any Magic staff before it...and frankly, better than about 30 others teams out there today.

My 2 cents...

Ok so I was watching the game from about 2 years ago, christmas day, when Turkgolu hit a game winning shot at the buzzer to beat the Celtics and got to thinking. Man, was that team really a better team then what Orlando has now? Now before you get mad, just think, we had a playmaker (Hedo), a defensive athletic wing who can shoot 3's (Maurice Evans), hell we even had Dooling, and Arroyo (Decent players).

Then I got to thinking about just last year, we had a back up point gaurd (Alston), a young talented sg (Lee), Playmaker (Turk), and even though Jameer got hurt he was balling out that year. Then I started to think, man if we had just retained that team instead of overreacting to losing to the Lakers, this could've been the year.

Then I began thinking about the entire Orlando Magic history, and how they always seem to come out as losers. I mean really, Orlando has drafted (and attained) some talented players and just basiclly given them away. Just to name some Shaq, Billups, C.Webber (Even though they got Penny) and B. Wallace. Then the whole Grant Hill fiasco, Not drafting Danny Granger. I mean other players too like Mike Miller, Anderson Varejoa, and plenty others that slip my mind at the moment.

I mean when you think about it Orando could have been won thier champsionships and had a dynasty. The only thing is horrible personel desicions (Drafts, Trades, Free Agency). I mean they also had some bright spots (Drafting Dwight, and trading for Jameer), but really this organization has underachieved for over 20 years. The worst thing about it is that I don't see anything changing, especially now with the "super team" in Miami. Not to say that other teams in the league haven't made mistakes also, but this is ridiculous. I love the Magic, but I feel as though bad management will always haunt this team.

quote:
Originally posted by ninjapj:

coulda, shoulda, woulda, you never know..i like this team, and it's chances..

^ This.

Alston as Jameer's backup wouldn't work. He threw a fit over playing time in the NBA Finals, it wasn't going to work. We got back a young talented PF and a big trade asset. Signing Turk to a long term deal would've been terrible.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

And I don't understand why I sleep all day

And I start to complain that there's no rain

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake

And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape

Can't say I didn't see this coming. I just was waiting for a DOM post and it was the first one to come up. Thread over.