Sign in to follow this  
reebokdude

Otis to take full seven days before deciding on Redick

All it says on espn insider is

J.J. Redick has signed a three-year, $20 million offer sheet with Chicago, reports ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel Saturday morning that he "anticipates" the team will match the offer sheet.

"I anticipate us doing it (matching Redick's offer), but I'm not sure," Smith said. "It's too early. We'll talk about it."

Smith has seven days from the time he gets the contract to match it.

quote:
Originally posted by OrlMagicDH12:

J.J. Redick has signed a three-year, $20 million offer sheet with Chicago, reports ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel Saturday morning that he "anticipates" the team will match the offer sheet.

"I anticipate us doing it (matching Redick's offer), but I'm not sure," Smith said. "It's too early. We'll talk about it."

Otis and his words, are they ever what actually happens? I would really like JJ back on the team. The question is who is out there in the market who will give us more benefit than JJ for $20 million.

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:

Otis and his words, are they ever what actually happens? I would really like JJ back on the team. The question is who is out there in the market who will give us more benefit than JJ for $20 million.

Actually the question is who out there willing to take around 2 million a year could fill Redick's shoes.

The Magic can match Redicks offer sheet, but they cannot go out in the market and sign someone up for that kind of money since as you should recall we are over the cap.

Since the answer is no one. That means we take a hit in talent if we let Redick go.

quote:
Originally posted by iconoftheyear10:

quote:
Originally posted by Irishdawg90:

I don't understand why any team would want both Kyle Korver AND JJ Redick.

two ppl that can hit the 3 in clutch who wouldnt want that

What if that particular team is getting ready for a BIG name to show up next year on their team? This guy could be a player who can penetrate the defense and kick out to shooters on the perimeter.

The Bulls were also ranked 28th in 3 point percentage last year (Yahoo! Sports), so they NEED shooters. I think JJ and Korver would be great additions to the team. And perhaps that man I mentioned in the paragraph above is Derrick Rose?

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

Who's Reddick? Is that like Riddick?

+1

REdial about redick?

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:

Actually the question is who out there willing to take around 2 million a year could fill Redick's shoes.

The Magic can match Redicks offer sheet, but they cannot go out in the market and sign someone up for that kind of money since as you should recall we are over the cap.

Since the answer is no one. That means we take a hit in talent if we let Redick go.

Thanks man

The only good thing about Redick for 20mil is that it is reducing. So in the final year of the contract he will be making significantly less than this first year. His contract will not look overpriced by 2-3years time. He is an important piece. Otis will match.

I have to agree with a few people on this. The contract is overpriced without a doubt but I don't see anything as good or better in free agency for the money we have left to give. I think Otis gets the go ahead to match this one.

And of course he's going to take the full seven days to make a decision, it's more time to work out any possible trades he has going on behind the scenes. If he can make a trade that involves a SG that's better priced with similar ability THEN you may see him not match. Other than that scenario I think he stays.