Sign in to follow this  
bradsmagicfins

Whats Wrong with this Team?

I keep harping on this but everyone wants the perfect PG, problem is there isn't too many out there. Who is this true PG that we are going to pick up? If someone can name one that we can REALISTICALLY sign or trade for without gutting this team then I am all for it.

I think it would be a much better and more realistic idea to bring in an offensive scheme that maximizes the players we have. You wouldn't build a team to run like the Suns unless you had a PG that you felt could run that system. What did Colangelo do as soon as he took over in Toronto? He picked up TJ Ford because he needed him for his system. Unless we can do that we need to think more like how the Mav's did when they let Nash go. They changed their system to fit what they did have. It seems like they have done ok.

What's wrong with this Magic team?

1. Poor offensive execution.

2. Inconsistency.

3. Lack of Heart and Hustle

4. Awful point guards.

5. Poor coaching/rotation of players

6. Inability to utilize 3 point shooters and bench talent.

7. Lack of urgency and/or desire to win games.

8. Inability to adapt to opposing team changes during play.

9. Lack of consistent scorer and/or someone who can take over the game -- WE NEED VINCE.

10. Brian Hill

well I don't know that we don't have a pass first PG on this team. I am not decided that its a matter of skill but of mindset and that goes down to some accountability. I saw some passes last night that would have caused some serious bench minutes on some teams. Awful brain dead passes that looks to me like the passer has not a care in the world regarding his playing time.

Not to beat a dead horse but honestly the only one I see attempting to fit into a system (to the extent that one actually exists) is JJ (and perhaps Darko). Far too often some of our PGs look like they are playing street ball.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

Diener is not a point guard. He's a bench guard. I did not include him in my evaluation of Point Guards.

Anyone can be a bench player if the coach refuses to play him, including Dwight Howard. By that reasoning, JJ is mostly a bench player too, so you could have omitted him from your comment also.

Diener is a "young player" who won at least one game for us almost singlehandedly earlier in the season (against Oklahoma/NO). You rightly complain about our poor passing, and Diener has shown good passing skills when he's in. Floor spacing also improves. He even looks for JJ. Since our current PG's have been playing so poorly, perhaps you should expand your horizon a bit? Or should we just stick with the same players who aren't getting the job done....

Doug Collins brought up some very interesting stats last night that combined explain why are team is performing so poorly.

1) We are last in the league in field goal attempts per game.

2) We are at the bottom of the league in assists per game. I know big surprise.

3) We are at the bottom of the league in FT percentage.

4) We are at the top of the league in turnovers per game.

All of these stats add up to a horrendous offensive ballclub. It amazes me that we score as many points as we do. When combined with the very obvious point that our defense is incredibly overrated (grinding the game to a halt to limit opponents field goal attempts doesn't constitute good defense in my book) it explains why we have the record that we do.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Doug Collins brought up some very interesting stats last night that combined explain why are team is performing so poorly.

1) We are last in the league in field goal attempts per game.

2) We are at the bottom of the league in assists per game. I know big surprise.

3) We are at the bottom of the league in FT percentage.

4) We are at the top of the league in turnovers per game.

All of these stats add up to a horrendous offensive ballclub. It amazes me that we score as many points as we do. When combined with the very obvious point that our defense is incredibly overrated (grinding the game to a halt to limit opponents field goal attempts doesn't constitute good defense in my book) it explains why we have the record that we do.

Yet our coaches feel it's a good idea to force feed the princeton offense to this young group of players.

Those are both great points. I find it also find it amazing that the team excuses this play until they win their one game of the week and then praise how well things are going. I thought our point guard play was not that great, but a reverse assist/turnover ratio and high turnovers are fundamentals coaches stress when establishing a team game plan before a game. This is why JJ needs to play more. Even if he did not make a shot, he command for the game is the type of play this ball club needs and quickly before they completely crash.

the only reason why we're doing so badly is turnovers and FT shooting. When you add the fact that we don't have a dominant scorer to take over in 4th quarters, you have a team that can't come back from half-time deficits. For all the flack these guys get, if they only took care of the basketball more and hit 3 or 4 more free throws a game; we'd be top of the Southeast division easily.

We're one, maybe 2 players away from becoming a championship calibre team.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic through thick n thin:

Yes, if we had Wilt Chamberlin and Magic Johnson in their primes, with those two additional players we would be championship caliber, I agree. Throw in Jerry West for good measure.

quote:

Sorry I meant to write this, even though for all of you it doesnt seem to make a difference...

"WITH A LOT OF HARD WORK, we're one, maybe two players away from a championship calibre team"

quote:

quote:

Sorry I meant to write this, even though for all of you it doesnt seem to make a difference...

"WITH A LOT OF HARD WORK, we're one, maybe two players away from a championship calibre team"

Right now a lot of people are pissed, I don't think that is that far off. If we add a scorer and a better offensive scheme, I think we could be at the top of the league.

This just hit me now, after reading this whole thread.

You know this problem, that saddles the Magic every game no matter what? That never comes to us, regardless of the want or will of the team?

Leadership.

Dwight Howard has GOT to lead this team. Watching TNT last night and their inside coverage on the Magic, Dwight acted just like everyone else.

Brian Hill is a useless sack of crap. We all saw that on camera last night.

DH has GOT to step up and snap his teammates in line. Not only can that save this season, it can bring about the real Dwight behind the smiling mask. Is it not obvious that Dwight gets EXTREMELY ticked and frustrated during games, almost on a nightly basis? LET IT OUT DWIGHT! D4mnitall!