Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic going in for Chris Paul

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

so trying to be realistic here, what about Paul's BYC status? and I mean, how does a team squeek away with Paul without being horse collared into taking Peja or Okafor or at the very least Mo Pete/Posey?

I believe Paul only has BYC until July 1st. I found an article from July 9, 2008 saying he agreed to an extension, which would've gone into effect the next year. Give it the 1 year period, and it SHOULD go back to normal July 1.

Just heard from Magical - this has been a discussion around the RDV for months, something he mentioned to me back in January (I kind of forgot about that, to be honest). I am trying to figure out how much salary RDV is willing to take back to make it happen.

I seem to remember you posting about this back in February or so when Vince was sucking it up, but Paul was injured at the time so a trade didn't seem likely.

Any idea on who the big piece going out for Orlando would be (Meer, Shard or Vince)? I assume the usual suspects - some combination of Bass, Gortat, Pietrus and the TPE - would be offered. However, especially in a three team deal or with a name as big as Paul, I am guessing that one of those first three would be shipped out as well.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Ok. Having now read it, this is what I've gathered from this thread:

smile_dustball.gif

icon_confused.gif

smile_hijacked.gif

smile_bobafett.gif

I don't remember Boba Fett? But, yea, what did you expect other than vague speculation?

quote:

Adande also said the Hornets turned down a trade of Gay and OJ Mayo for Paul.

Here is your biggest clue. The Hornets want old contracts that will expire so they can save money. Gay would be a brand new hefty contract.

Which is why the Magic offered Vince again, just like they did before the deadline.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

quote:

Adande also said the Hornets turned down a trade of Gay and OJ Mayo for Paul.

Here is your biggest clue. The Hornets want old contracts that will expire so they can save money. Gay would be a brand new hefty contract.

Which is why the Magic offered Vince again, just like they did before the deadline.

if they're really looking to have an expiring next year i could imagine half their team wouldn't want to be there anymore. it's an obvious rebuild move if they send paul for carter's expiring, you could probably pick up someone else from them that would want to leave.

The Magic have a handful of options they could offer.

Magical said they'd be willing to take back a Posey-level contract, but it is unlikely they would take back Okafor - though they could try and swing him to a 3rd team.

Want a ridiculous scenario? Feasibly, if NOLA is interested in taking Vince as an expiring (as well as a piece to keep butts in the seats), we could use him and, say, Pietrus/TPE to get Paul and Posey, and then turn around and trade, say, Jameer, Gortat, Bass for someone like Boozer.

Now that is sheer ridiculousness.

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

Jameer will be the perfect trade bait for a wing player if we get Chris Paul!

Yes, I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

Jameer will be the perfect trade bait for a wing player if we get Chris Paul!

Yes, I agree.

give me names, it's a slow work day.

quote:

especially considering you're trying to trade Jameer to a team that has arguably the best PG in the league, and in a S&T there is no need to completely undress yourself if the player is ready to dip.

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

quote:

especially considering you're trying to trade Jameer to a team that has arguably the best PG in the league, and in a S&T there is no need to completely undress yourself if the player is ready to dip.

It'd make more sense to happen with Bosh... not because he's the easier target, but because unlike the Jazz, the Raptors would actually somewhat benefit from a trade like that.