Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Stretch Fours

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

nope. gotta have someone in the front court with dwight. he's not as skilled offensively to do it himself in the post (like hakeem and shaq). plus the magic aren't a good offensive rebounding team. having 4 perimeter players ain't gonna cut it.

but it has up until now...

The stretch 4 fits our system well. It creates less of a clog in the middle and Dwight struggles with double teams. I would say more but I have to run out the door, sorry lol

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

What is the deal with this gimmick? Can you actually win a championship using a small forward as your power forward?

I hope, but don't expect, SVG will mix up his strategy and get rid of the inside-out ball. Boston proved, if you don't need to double down on Dwight, the inside-out ball is stymied. I think it's time to go with a more traditional approach.

What Boston showed, is that, if you don't need to double on Dwight, or anyone else for that matter, you can play a more stifling defense and not give up many open looks. This has nothing to do with having a stretch four or not.

Having a stretch four leads to easier wide open shots when Dwight is double teamed, more open lanes for cutting and driving, more room for Dwight to operate, and more time for him to adjust when double teams come.

Problem is, even with Dwight getting his, no one else was able to really step up and create. It's the same problem we had last year, but Carter was supposed to be the answer. He wasn't able. Plug in someone that can create on their own, take advantage of that spacing even when Dwight is not doubled, and this team takes the next step.

We need a better compliment to Lewis, not a replacement. Brandon Bass the idea is great, but Brandon Bass the player just isn't that good.

This Boston starting 5 had one of the best defenses of all time just two years ago. They get healthy this year and shut us down, are we really that surprised? The stretch 4 is an offensive scheme meant to capitalize on effective shots both inside and out, it failed, but it failed against one of the most epic defensive teams we've seen. I'm not sure I'd let that failure serve as a mortuary on the stretch 4.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

nope. gotta have someone in the front court with dwight. he's not as skilled offensively to do it himself in the post (like hakeem and shaq). plus the magic aren't a good offensive rebounding team. having 4 perimeter players ain't gonna cut it.

but it has up until now...

up until now?

it didn't work with boston or la last season either.

Rashard is a Small Forward. We are paying the guy the max to play out of position and get banged around by guys like Garnett. The Magic are not definitley going to go with him at PF so much next year.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

The Magic are not definitley going to go with him at PF so much next year.

I've heard this b4, but 3 years, & a mind numbing playoff series vs. Boston is all the evidence I need to know it will never happen.

Let's put that in perspective...

The world didn't even know who Mays Gilliam was 3 years ago and know he's the President!

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

I've heard this b4, but 3 years, & a mind numbing playoff series vs. Boston is all the evidence I need to know it will never happen.

The world didn't even know who Mays Gilliam was 3 years ago and know he's the President!

You have to agree that SVG faults himself partly for not making the finals. SVG said not playing Gortat at the 4 and not playing Lewis more at the 3 was a mistake that he will be working on.

This tells me that SVG will get it done..finally!

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

You have to agree that SVG faults himself partly for not making the finals. SVG said not playing Gortat at the 4 and not playing Lewis more at the 3 was a mistake that he will be working on.

This tells me that SVG will get it done..finally!

I've never seen those comments. Would be interested to read or listen if you could provide link. Thanx in advance Solution.