Sign in to follow this  
jbabc37

Magic ''Anticipate'' Keeping Carter...

Originally posted by jbabc37:

Magic GM Otis Smith told the Sentinel that he "anticipates" Vince Carter remaining with the team.

WHAT OTIS IS SAYING:

Otis anticipates there will be no other team interested in Carter and we will not be able to move him. Meanwhile, please continue to pray for a miracle.

quote:
Originally posted by VCdaCarter:

Vince isn't going anywhere. I only see bench players being traded. J.will, redik, bass, ryan anderson??? Take you pic.

If we trade JJ who will pick up the slack of VC's lazy ***?

getting rid of courtney lee was the dumbest thing otis ever did. he's a young player with a bright future. should've kept him here in orlando to develop along with dwight. i don't see how an aging vince carter was the answer knowing **** well he was falling below his prime. dwight and shard were handling all the touches and magic get to the finals. vince comes in and deprives shard of touches and they get embarrassed by boston in the ecf.

it would've been great to try and mold lee into a playmaker and develop more of an inside game as well as get him to drive to the basket more. he already was showing a lot of promise as a defender.

but hey...magic have always had a history with bad signings and trades.

quote:
Originally posted by Nell2ThaIzzay:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Courtney was a solid, young player, but nothing more. Some people here value our players as if they're the second coming of players they could never dream of becoming.

Courtney was special to us because he represented us actually doing something productive with a late-1st round pick. Something we hadn't done since 2004. After wasting the 2005 and 2007 drafts on Euro-trash, it was nice to get a surprise in 2008. Also, you have to remember, at the time Lee was blossoming, we figured our 2006 pick was pretty much a waste as well. We now know for certain that this wasn't the case.

But he was a good young player and he looked all the better playing alongside Dwight Howard.

I know '05 was Fran, but who did we take in '07? Isn't that the year we didn't have a 1st rounder, and then traded the player we picked in the 2nd?

We traded our 2007 first rounder to the Pistons as part of the Darko Milicic trade (hence my Euro-trash comment).

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

getting rid of courtney lee was the dumbest thing otis ever did. he's a young player with a bright future. should've kept him here in orlando to develop along with dwight. i don't see how an aging vince carter was the answer knowing **** well he was falling below his prime. dwight and shard were handling all the touches and magic get to the finals. vince comes in and deprives shard of touches and they get embarrassed by boston in the ecf.

it would've been great to try and mold lee into a playmaker and develop more of an inside game as well as get him to drive to the basket more. he already was showing a lot of promise as a defender.

but hey...magic have always had a history with bad signings and trades.

I liked Lee too, but at the time of the trade I liked it. I can't blame Otis. The year prior Vince was still very productive in NJ, and this team was just one "good Vince Carter" short of winning it all. It was hard to think he would have dropped off so much, so fast. Now that he has, I'd love to have Lee back in a Magic uniform. We're so close to getting a title, we just need that big scorer/playmaker. If Otis doesn't think Vince can be that guy, he'll trade him, I promise you.

I said when Lee was here that he could one day be a 20ppg player, and I still believe that. Like someone said earlier the Nets have two legit wing players in Williams and CDR, so Lee is expendable (even if he is the best of the three). We have the Hedo TPE, and NJ wants money to blow. That trade just might work.

Otis watched too much ESPN after The Finals and listened to Tim Legler too much. "The Magic need a closer who can score down the stretch, they don't have one." Sure we do, he was just hurt during The Finals (Jameer). Lee brings defensive intensity to the table along with providing a scoring punch.

I'm still all about Lewis4thewin's idea of trading for Rudy Gay. Let's just say for the sake of my wet dream coming true that Memphis accepts a trade of VC, Bass, and this year's first. I'm still on board for trading Gortat for CJ Watson as well. We could let Barnes walk and use that money to get a backup for Dwight and get another banger to make the people who hate the stretch four happy (because in this scenario we only have Lewis and Anderson). We could also use our 2nd Rd pick on someone like Brian Zoubek from Duke. We could have a team like this:

Nelson/Watson

Lee/Redick

Gay/Pietrus

Lewis/Anderson/"Banger 4"

Howard/"Backup"

Some free agent big men available this offseason:

Tyson Chandler (ETO)

Nazr Mohammed (ETO)

Theo Ratliff

Brendan Haywood

Drew Gooden

Jermaine O'Neal

Udonis Haslem

David Lee

I like this team...

quote:

I liked Lee too, but at the time of the trade I liked it. I can't blame Otis. The year prior Vince was still very productive in NJ, and this team was just one "good Vince Carter" short of winning it all. It was hard to think he would have dropped off so much, so fast. Now that he has, I'd love to have Lee back in a Magic uniform. We're so close to getting a title, we just need that big scorer/playmaker. If Otis doesn't think Vince can be that guy, he'll trade him, I promise you.

despite his productivity in nj, vince was starting to show that he was aging. he was moving a lot slower and settling for jump shots. his ppg was steadily declining each season. i just don't see how otis thought he was a solution to the teams problem.

it's gonna be hard getting rid of him. if they're stuck with him then the only logical solution os to have him come off the bench and resign jj and let him start.

quote:
Originally posted by dreamingincolors:

I can't believe we had a talented young prospect SG and we let him go.

Interestingly enough we also have another talented young backup SG and I hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

Why can't we bring Courtney Lee back?

We never did. And I am curious as to who is propagating this myth. Age is far more important than NBA experience when determining potential. Courtney Lee was born before Dwight Howard.

People were pretty high on Keith Bogans in his rookie season. Everyone was disappointed when it became obvious he was just Keith Bogans. People will come to that realization with Courtney Lee at some point.

Did anyone watch Lee play this year? He was terrible. He was hovering around 30% 3 point shooting all year and at times in the 20 percentile.

Season 71 33.5 338-775 .436 76-225 .338 133-153 .869 0.8 2.7 3.5 1.31 .28 1.07 1.83 1.7 12.5

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

New Jersey has a young guard named Courtney Lee. Great defender, and he can shoot the three well. Maybe Otis can find a way to get this guy, I think he would be a good fit with the Magic.

For all the fans of Photoshop:

Boston+Celtics+v+Orlando+Magic+dTtmBAmUo1Tl.jpg

What you meant to say is that New Jersey has a young guard named Courtney Lee, who replaced Carter with the Nets, which saw them go from 34 wins to 12 wins.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
Originally posted by dreamingincolors:

I can't believe we had a talented young prospect SG and we let him go.

Interestingly enough we also have another talented young backup SG and I hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

Why can't we bring Courtney Lee back?

Courtney was a solid, young player, but nothing more. Some people here value our players as if they're the second coming of players they could never dream of becoming.

When you have the opportunity to trade less-than-critical player for an established 20/5/5 allstar, you do it, and you don't think twice about it. In retrospect, it didn't work out with us to the extent that we wish it could have, but you'd have to be foolish to believe that it was a bad move back in July.

Absolutely. The Magic lost to a very talented team so now every move made was a mistake.

I liked Courtney, but please let's not get carried away here.

When Otis decided to pass on Hedo, he felt he needed to make a deal for the best closer available for a trade and did well in bringing Vince.

He wasn't going to get anyone better and the storyline made sense. A veteran former superstar with a chance to redeem a poor playoff career going back to his home area. He knew Courtney wasn't going to be the closer and nothing he did in New Jersey proved otherwise.

So Vince stunk it up in the playoffs. I still give Otis credit for not doing the easy thing which would have been to keep the team together and give Hedo what he wanted.

Coming into this season Carter had career playoff averages of 25.9 PPG, 6.9 RPG, and 5.2 APG. He had never lost a playoff series with HCA, and had twice won series without HCA.

Now please explain how he had (prior to this season) a "poor playoff career". I'm genuinely interested to hear your argument.