Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

PASS FIRST PG, or the really really early NBA Draft/offseason Thread.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

I'm also pretty sure that brand's final year isn't guaranteed. If we went VC and a second round pick for Evan Turner and Elton Brand we would have either $40,700,000 (lewis and brand) of expiring contracts that could be tradeable during the summer of '12 or the '12-'13 season. Because both numbers aren't guaranteed though, they might be worth something to somebody during the '11-'12 season.

Essentially we would lose all financial flexibility for the summer of 2011 but we would have full cap freedom for the 2013-2014 season (When Dwight's contract is up).

This is all predicated on the idea that Evan Turner is a potential star player. If our scouts feel that he can be a legit #1 option in the NBA I wouldn't be surprised if we made this move. All it does is sacrifice one year of financial flexibility for a potential all star.

Could this lineup be a championship caliber team?

Nelson

Turner

Barnes

Lewis

Dwight

with Brand, Pietrus, Anderson, JJ, PG to be named off of the bench.

I'm not sure, but its an interesting possibility.

Would be great, but I highly doubt they would do it.

Turner will probably be a 19/6/3 guy, except he's a lot younger than Carter and has a lot more room to grow.

Granted if he's a bust it would be an awful trade in retrospect.

yeah, im not necessarily condoning it. I was just interested in the possibility that if our scouts thought he could be a stud, the trade wouldn't screw with our established plan.

I was thinking about the eventual roster shakeup that would happen if we lose this series. Neither Carter, nor Lewis has performed up to a level that justifies their position on the team. Realistically, we can't trade lewis this offseason (as no one should be dumb enough to take on his contract) so Vince/bass/gortat become our main trade pieces with Pietrus and JJ as being players we don't necessarily want to trade, but might get packaged in the right deal.

What wing player do we target?

Players like: Rudy Gay, Danny Granger (Jareth thinks it's possible), Joe Johnson (though this past series really turned me off of him), etc.

These are the types of players we can somewhat realistically get.

Who in the draft can come in and be a potential All Star?

Evan Turner (top 3), Wesley Johnson (3-8), James Anderson (10-20), and Paul George ( 10-25) are players who i think have high enough ceilings to be #1 options on a team. Obviously the first two players are more likely to be All Stars than the second two (as seen by their draft positions).

Taking on a bad contract that will expire with Lewis' bad contract for a player that might be at (or near) the level of other possible current players that I've listed above seems like a good idea.

Getting Evan Turner would be amazing. Otis shocked us all last year and traded for an All Star, wouldn't put it past him to shock us all this year and go for youth and a potential All-Star to grow with Dwight. This is all pending what happens if we lose in the ECF.

I realistically think we could get a guy like Granger or Gay. They aren't the "superstars" people think of immediately. With all the LeBron, Wade, Bosh drama this offseason, those guys could be overlooked. It sounds silly writing it, but the NBA is a silly business.

S&T for Gay could include Bass, some picks, and Gortat. Then again, Memphis has Thabeet and Gasol, so who knows. They picked up Brewer, so Pietrus would seem a bit redundant.

Granger could possibly go for a package of Gortat/Pietrus (or Bass), and maybe some future picks? I'm sure a player or two may have to be included along with that. But Granger would be amazing playing alongside Lewis, Dwight, and Meer. Indiana is a struggling franchise and I wouldn't put it past them to trade to dump salary, even if it means losing a talent like Granger.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

I hope we land Willie Warren with our 1st round pick. His game is very similar to Rodney Stuckey.

stuckey was never (to my knowledge) benched during the season or called out by his coach in the media.

Nobody really knows what to make of him due to a poor season (due to a variety of reasons including ankle injury, mono, and blake griffin leaving). We could do a lot worse for a backup point guard though.

quote:

I hope we land Willie Warren with our 1st round pick. His game is very similar to Rodney Stuckey.

I wouldn't be opposed to him if we keep our pick at that number. He's the type of risk that wouldn't cost us much if he doesn't pan out.

quote:

quote:

stuckey was never (to my knowledge) benched during the season or called out by his coach in the media.

Nobody really knows what to make of him due to a poor season (due to a variety of reasons including ankle injury, mono, and blake griffin leaving). We could do a lot worse for a backup point guard though.

I said his game is very similar to Stuckey's. What does Warren having a fall out with his coach have to do what I said?

As far as him having a poor season, I agree. I think Oklahoma as a whole had a poor season, and never was that good to began with. I think Mason-Griffin and Gallon were all hype, and instead of worrying about winning games, they were more interested in impressing the scouts trying to get on the NBA radar.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Bledsoe isn't a pure point, but he's Kyle Lowry with more length, & a jump shot. He's a lotto talent imo. Avery Bradley is right there as well imo.

Player I liked most 4 Magic, Paul George, is flying up draft boards, unfortunate.

In other news, Luke Babbitt claims to be a stretch 4/combo forward, clearly the Magic's dream prospect. I think he's delusional, but I do like his game. If Steve Nash were a SF, he would be Luke Babbitt.

Drew Bledsoe with the buffalo bills?

Evan Turner would be a great pickup, I think he WILL be that kind of an All-Star. Some scouts are saying he isn't a great shooter, those scouts have obviously never watched a basketball game in their life. Plus a standing vertical of 35in? That sounds VC-esque to me Thuglife. Except of course by saying "He won't be like VC" you mean, "He won't piss away all of his talent by not applying himself like VC did" then I would tend to agree.

Now that we have that out of the way, what I would like to see happen in the draft:

1st Round: Devin Ebanks (SF WVU) or Quincy Pondexter (SF Washington). Either one of these guys we could afford to let Barnes walk.

2nd Round: Jarvis Varnado (PF/C Miss St) or Brian Zoubek (C Duke). I really want Varnado, but I would take Zoubek as a consolation prize, even if we was only good one month out of his four year career. Either one of these guys we could afford to trade away Gortat (CJ Watson anyone?) especially if it was Varnado. Varnado absolutely abused Cousins when he played him.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I said his game is very similar to Stuckey's. What does Warren having a fall out with his coach have to do what I said?

As far as him having a poor season, I agree. I think Oklahoma as a whole had a poor season, and never was that good to began with. I think Mason-Griffin and Gallon were all hype, and instead of worrying about winning games, they were more interested in impressing the scouts trying to get on the NBA radar.

Jesus, i was just adding to your post. No need to call me out.

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

1st Round: Devin Ebanks (SF WVU) or Quincy Pondexter (SF Washington). Either one of these guys we could afford to let Barnes walk.

I like Ebanks, reminds me of Gay (better D, less O). But, I would want to pimp slap SVG if the Magic drafted him. If Stan is suddenly embracing the Barnes/Ebanks type players...*** did Orlando give Ariza away???