Sign in to follow this  
IloveMAGICsomuch

Dwight today or Shaq in his prime?

Dwight Howard!

I don't care if Dwight Howard was giving the team Marcin Gortat #s as a starter, at no point would I choose Shaq over Dwight. When Shaq was playing for Orlando, I was a Chicago Bulls fan because I couldn't stand Shaq--and the fact that I really liked Steve Kerr.

To question made like that It's not even answering, just repeating obvious fact, Shaq in prime. If we are talking about having him right now in the moment.

But if you analize it from long term franchise stand point, not so obvious answer and some things can change it.

We still don't know what exacly is Dwight prime I belive he didn't get there yet. Shaq prime wasn't very long he started declining after 31-32, I hope and think that with Diwght it will last longer, at least he have almost 100 % injury resistance icon_wink.gif which is very impresive if you look at beating and fouls he gets every night.

O'Neal was monster at offensive end, huge advantage there but at defense he was never close to what D12 is already now, with current Magic roaster you don't need biggest low post scorer, best defender in the paint is more handy in this situation.

2nd Magic superman is easier to deal personality wise for teammates, coaching staff and the whole organization and probably less selfish.

So there is the difference. Dwight is a defensive monster; Shaq was an offensive monster. Take elements of the one's strength and give it to the other, and look out!

Can you imagine how many rebounds Shaq could have averaged if he had cared about it? Same with blocks.

You can also use the Shaq comparison to answer the question about Howard's knees. What's worse, jumping in the air and landing a few dozen times a game, or carrying 100 extra pounds ALL THE TIME! It is amazing that Shaq, with all of his weight, has played for 18 years on those knees. Last night he had 21 points and 4 blocks on those knees.

We can only hope that Howard has the same career longevity as Shaq.

Between Dwight now and Shaq in his prime, you gotta take Shaq.

The man broke a backboard, and on a completely different occasion, took down the basket.

Physically, the most dominant player to ever play the game.

Shaq managed to become an amazing post player, with quick feet and great hands. The Lakers in the early part of the decade were one of the best teams of all time, and he was the reason for it.

I don't think Dwight will ever develop a low post game like Shaq, especially with the decreasing size of NBA centers. Teams keep getting smaller and smaller, and Dwight can do what he wants with them down low, with the exception of Perkins, Shaq, bigger players.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherCavsFan:

The man broke a backboard, and on a completely different occasion, took down the basket.

Shaq managed to become an amazing post player, with quick feet and great hands. The Lakers in the early part of the decade were one of the best teams of all time, and he was the reason for it.

I don't think Dwight will ever develop a low post game like Shaq, especially with the decreasing size of NBA centers. Teams keep getting smaller and smaller, and Dwight can do what he wants with them down low, with the exception of Perkins, Shaq, bigger players.

Great point, ACF, but are you going to change your quote to:

"LeBron James, with no regard for Cleveland!!"

quote:

while i would take shaq in his prime it wouldn't be for the backboard thing they obviously build those things to take tornados these days.

dwight's defense is alot more intimidating than shaqs, not based on the fact of physical punishment, but more on agility. i believe shaq changed the big man game, the fouls that were allowed in all of those knick/heat indiana/knicks.. whatever other physical series, were pretty hard, demoralizing fouls, if they allowed the likes of shaq, dwight, or even lebron to dish out the same sort of blows this day and age you'd see alot more fights and injuries. also it tarnishes the view of the league for potential fans, they don't want to see a bunch of athletes duking it out, as much as i'd like to.

all that being said, the agility and physical build of a guy like dwight should allow him to develop a decent jump shot, i've seen him hit it pretty well in practice, but that's practice and not a game, shaq's genetics allowed for alot more weight on his frame, dwight, not so much, if the likes of david robinson and amare can develop a usable shot, i can see this being the next step for dwight, i've never in my life seen shaq take an honest jump shot, even though i did see him hit a 3 ball in orlando once.

quote:

This completely discounts the impact of defense on a game. Shaq was focused on the offensive end, Dwight, while effective on offense (but still relatively raw) has a massive impact on the defensive end of the court. Shaq in his prime could NEVER defend the high pick and roll like Dwight.

As for breaking the backboards (not that it has any real bearing on this discussion, but you did bring it up), Shaq forced some changes to the modern backboard to prevent these things from happening. The likelyhood that another player comes along after Shaq and breaks a back board or causes any significant damage is highly unlikely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVsBRDycR_0

oops.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

This completely discounts the impact of defense on a game. Shaq was focused on the offensive end, Dwight, while effective on offense (but still relatively raw) has a massive impact on the defensive end of the court. Shaq in his prime could NEVER defend the high pick and roll like Dwight.

As for breaking the backboards (not that it has any real bearing on this discussion, but you did bring it up), Shaq forced some changes to the modern backboard to prevent these things from happening. The likelyhood that another player comes along after Shaq and breaks a back board or causes any significant damage is highly unlikely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVsBRDycR_0

oops.

Was about to mention that... no way that in today's league someone would be able to break the backboard or bring it down... not even prime Shaq.

Prime Shaq wasn't the defensive force Dwight is, but in the '00 season, he did play some very, very solid defense to go along with his ridiculous offensive numbers. Prime Shaq easily, and that's not disrespectful to Dwight at all.

I've always been on the "Shaq has great offensive fundamentals" train, but seeing him against Boston, where he hasn't been able to bull over Perkins, he has looked absolutely terrible.

People talk about how Dwight would fare without having a large strength advantage over most centers, but I wonder how Shaq would fare if he didn't completely dwarf every opposing center in size or strength. I'd venture to say that the discrepancy between Shaq's strength and Dwight's strength is greater than say, Dwight and someone like Bogut.

Either way, prime Shaq easily.