Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

I don't think it is the officiating as it is the rules.

In the magic - bobcats serie though, the officiating really sucks.

I'm voting for more of an European Rules system.

No Hack a Howard allowed

No driving with the shoulder first and still get the foul as an attacker.

stuff like that

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Gee, Lebron isn't happy about the officiating either. Lebron better get his checkbook out. At least our guys aren't as pompous as this:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wire...ee_with_charge_call/

the nba swat team is removing that quote from all media as we speak.

I feel like we've put the whole forum in danger just by discussing this.

Dan Savage said an "upgrade" is coming. I'm thinking he might just mean we're all going to be deleted.

Wait wait... I think you're onto something.

You said Dan Savage is going to "upgrade" it here. LeBron James is seen as an "upgrade" of Michael Jordan as many media pundits. LeBron James was once dunked on by Jordan Crawford and then confiscated the tape - or "deleted" the moment. You fear Dan Savage's "upgrade" is going to "delete" us. OMG.

idea.gif

MAYBE Dan Savage is LeBron James.......

And to think, you almost got away with it too Dannyboy... or should I say, LeBron

Now Im not a big conspiracy theorist fan, however, after reading alot of the comments on the recent blog about sterns "drawing a line" nonsense it seems perhaps there is a conspiracy. Check this out.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/...ees/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Notice how every single comment is against stern until quite near the end and someone comments that noone is support DS. Then, 2 posts later, and 4-5 people in a row show their support for him. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps hes paying people to comment on the blog so we all think there are some people who support him.....

....or am I taking this too far?

After reading through ten pages of comments regarding the questionable calls in the last two Magic/Bobcats games, I'll have to say that I'm relieved. I'd have thought I was imagining things if the announcers of the game hadn't mentioned it numerous times in their play-by-play. Now I wonder: will Matt Goukas and David Steele be fined as well? $35K may not be such serious scratch for an NBA player, but it would really hurt a lowly announcer. Or will Stern just FIRE anyone who disagrees with his refs? Van Gundy is right ~ no other big-name player gets officiated the way Dwight Howard does. He's a big boy, sure, but he can't be as intimidating as some of the players who charge over to the refs, complaining about a call, with no mention of a technical.

I don't understand the disrespect the NBA shows to the Magic. If they manage to beat both the officials and the other teams and win a championship, perhaps Orlando will, at last, be taken seriously.

quote:
Originally posted by KingBeaterD12:

Now Im not a big conspiracy theorist fan, however, after reading alot of the comments on the recent blog about sterns "drawing a line" nonsense it seems perhaps there is a conspiracy. Check this out.

Notice how every single comment is against stern until quite near the end and someone comments that noone is support DS. Then, 2 posts later, and 4-5 people in a row show their support for him. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps hes paying people to comment on the blog so we all think there are some people who support him.....

LOL

quote:
Originally posted by UBBALLER8:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Gee, Lebron isn't happy about the officiating either. Lebron better get his checkbook out. At least our guys aren't as pompous as this:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wire...ee_with_charge_call/

the nba swat team is removing that quote from all media as we speak.

I feel like we've put the whole forum in danger just by discussing this.

Dan Savage said an "upgrade" is coming. I'm thinking he might just mean we're all going to be deleted.

Wait wait... I think you're onto something.

You said Dan Savage is going to "upgrade" it here. LeBron James is seen as an "upgrade" of Michael Jordan as many media pundits. LeBron James was once dunked on by Jordan Crawford and then confiscated the tape - or "deleted" the moment. You fear Dan Savage's "upgrade" is going to "delete" us. OMG.

idea.gif

MAYBE Dan Savage is LeBron James.......

And to think, you almost got away with it too Dannyboy... or should I say, LeBron

I'm listening.....

quote:
Originally posted by KingBeaterD12:

go read the comments on the espn article, even celts fans are complaining even though they get away with moving screens than jareth gets away with reach arounds at the blue oyster.

NEW YORK, April 22, 2010 -- Orlando Magic forward Matt Barnes and head coach Stan Van Gundy have each been fined $35,000 for publicly criticizing game officials, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

quote:
Originally posted by ecanuelas:

NEW YORK, April 22, 2010 -- Orlando Magic forward Matt Barnes and head coach Stan Van Gundy have each been fined $35,000 for publicly criticizing game officials, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

Page 7 called. It wants its headline back.

Jackson doesn't grasp Stern warnings

quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Round 1 went to David Stern on Thursday night when the NBA commissioner went Dirty Harry style and dared coaches and players to "make my day" by publicly criticizing game officials. He said they risked not just a fine but a suspension.

quote:
On Friday, Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson fought back.

"I think when you start throwing one- and two-game suspensions in the threats, I think that means a lot to both ball clubs and coaches," Jackson said at Lakers practice. "It seems awful heavy-handed to me, but David is one who isn't shy about being heavy-handed."

Jackson framed his comments about the Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Durant's free throw shooting made prior to the series as trying to gain a competitive edge. Stern described the comments as "corrosive."

"There's a certain gamesmanship that goes on that obviously he feels cheapens the game," Jackson continued. "It never was explained to us until it suddenly came down in this last week that arbitrarily they were going to do this. I missed the coaches meeting last September. Maybe they explained it in the coaches meeting last year because they said there was a couple instances last year when I think it was [stan] Van Gundy and [Rick] Adelman were fined during the playoffs for statements that led to manipulating the press, I guess is the best way I can say it.

"I don't know how you guys could be so naive, being members of the fifth estate, third estate, second estate or whatever state you're members of."

quote:
Jackson said he thought the severity of Stern's statement was unwarranted.

"[if] there's a situation of favoritism on the NBA court, I don't think anybody is going to be deluded into thinking that [certain] people don't get calls on the court, regardless of how you say it," Jackson said. "It's just a natural evolution of the game and it's a natural evolution of who gets the ball the most. They're going to end up a lot of times at the foul line. Unfortunately it didn't work for Kobe [bryant] that way last night, but it did for Kevin [Durant]. But that's the way things go in this game. You have to accept it, swallow it and move on."

quote:
"It's about the energy that's in the building, let's face it," Jackson said. "There's 20,000 people here that are really [intense]. It's not an objective thing, it's subjective. We try to make it objective, but it's subjective. People definitely lean a certain way. There's a certain statistic I think that can prove that. But we try to do the best we [can] do it and I think the referees do a good job with what they've got."

But Jackson couldn't stop himself from getting at least one jab in at the officials, even though he admitted that he doesn't think any of his comments made over the years gained him any favorable edge when it came to how referees called his games.

"You know, I know that the referees take an eye test, I don't know if they take a reading test," Jackson said.

Jackson also wanted to clear up his brief meeting with Stern prior to Game 3 at the Ford Center. Stern described it as, "I just came by and said, 'Hi,' and he said, 'I don't like you today,' and I said, 'I like you.'"

"We ran into each other in the hallway ... I did not say I didn't like him. I said, 'I'm not happy with you,' is what I said and he said, 'I'm happy with you,'" Jackson explained. "He misquoted the exchange."

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

What about removing the review of film for team tendencies and including the review of missed or bad calls.

Absolutely! It is despicable that there is no accountability program for refs. They should be reprimanded, then fined, then suspended for the large quantity of missed calls they perpetrate on the game.

Can you imagine if somebody started a website and chronicled every game and every referee's tendancy toward making bad calls? If we can look at statistical metrics that incorporate every aspect of play from a player's perspective, why shouldn't we be able to do the same with the officials that have a growing role in impacting the game?

You would need a small fleet of people who would be willing to help, or a couple of independently wealthy guys with nothing better to do. Next, you need them to get involved with the media events the NBA puts on in the off season to educate them in teh art of being a ref. I don't remember off hand who wrote about it last season, but one of the ESPN guys was there and was talking about how eye opening it is, because they would talk about specific rules, watch film, and then discuss individual calls and some player tendencies.

Could you imagine compiling the data to describe each and every bad and/or missed call by the refs, which call specifically was missed, and whether or not it was their assignment, or if they were just on the crew in general (to account for different ref's watching for different things).

You could break it down into an overall ref grading system, but you could also look at each individual ref and see what types of calls they routinely miss, and take those opportunities to educate them on specific rules.

Add in who the call was on if it was bad, or who it should have been on it was missed, and you can start looking for bias against players.

Does Dwight get called for certain offensive calls by pretty much everyone? Maybe ref X routinely misses a specific type of call, but makes a significant number above his average against a particular player.

I can't imagine being tasked with actually reviewing tape and coming up with all these missed or bad calls.

No i know Echo... you would definaterly need at least 6 minimum dedicated individuals who are knowledgable about the rules and would watcht he tape and independantly score each game

you would also have to partition out the teams like 5 teams per person that would watch all 82 games, and mark apropriately. The good things is that with technology it makes it easier to do on you own time and slow down and replay.

I would start with just fouls actually called and review from there, then when you get more ppl you would be able to add, blatant fouls not called (though that is subjective)

There is a referee video rulebook on the nba.com website that you can watch what they call a hop step correct and what isnt, charging is/isnt so on and so forth. makes it easier to justify and clarify the rules.

The goal would be to get 32 ppl individually doing each teams games then its not such a workload for just 4 ppl. The bigger it gets the more ppl could go back and watch footage from previous years of the same ref and compile that into data also.

Im just thinking about how the rockets GM thought up a good formula and stuff for his data tracking and look where thats gone.

Something like this could theoretically impc tthe game enough where Coachs actually start cross referencing the webistes stats and then quoting them in a press conference... Van gundy says: "Salvatore is know to call illegal screens on average 6.5 times a game and calls on average 95% of the time against the current leading team...just check www.RefereeReplay.com theres the facts"

I can see it going the same route as Larry Coons Salary Cap FAQ...

Actually, in order to be fully objective I think you'd need to have several people all watching the same game. Something like 6 individuals to grade each game would be incredibly labor intensive but would most definitely receive a ton of attention.

yeah more would be better i was thinking of as it was starting out...

And yea refereereplay was a fictional example of a couch quoting fromj the statistics...

In response to the PR lawyers of the NBA they cannot stop free speech... all we would be doing is basing an assumption of something they brodcasted (its not stolen or unethically obtained) and made comments according to public knowledge of the rules. There's no slandering happening just an impartial fan based review oof Officiating.

Now thats not to say that they might not try and issue a cease and desist letter or try and hold you down, but you arent breaking any piracy laws therefore they cant get a court injuction to shut you down. You havent stolen anything, and as long as you didnt post any film (NBA film cant be rebroadcast in any way without premission) you would be out of their grasp.