Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2010 Championship Odds

quote:
Originally posted by AddiFB:

I don't know a thing about Vegas odds. How do they work?

opening means that is where they started, current means where they are if you are betting now. They show current to show movement (movement means people betting on one side)So the movement shows that more people since the opening have bet on the Cavs than any other team, then the Lakers...seeing how the line has changed most for the Cavs

the right number shows the $ ammount you would need to bet to win the left number. So if you put $1 on the magic, you get $5. if you bet $1 on the Cavs today you would get $1.80

Now Hollinger's odds have the Magic at 23.9% to win it all and Cleveland down to 19.5%. Looks like there's no reason to keep playing this season ... rack 'em, fellas!

Honestly, the reason I post these stats is because I can remember how hard it was being a disappointed Magic fan year after year. At times I couldn't even give away our tickets. Now I am just enjoying the ride. Go Magic, baby!

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Now Hollinger's odds have the Magic at 23.9% to win it all and Cleveland down to 19.5%. Looks like there's no reason to keep playing this season ... rack 'em, fellas!

Honestly, the reason I post these stats is because I can remember how hard it was being a disappointed Magic fan year after year. At times I couldn't even give away our tickets. Now I am just enjoying the ride. Go Magic, baby!

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

While our play of late has been fantastic, also remember, the real slip in those numbers for Cleveland has been the fact that LeBron missed a couple of games.

Although, you can also argue that we delt with the month of January curse from Vince, and his injury, Nelson's injury, and Shard's suspenesion so those held us back. Remember though, Hollinger's formula puts more significance on current performance (last 25 games).

I expect some great basketball come the ECF's.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

While our play of late has been fantastic, also remember, the real slip in those numbers for Cleveland has been the fact that LeBron missed a couple of games.

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the Cavs go as Lebron goes, despite having 3 other all-stars on that team, a player that is continually mentioned as a DPOY candidate, an up and coming big man yet to really scratch the surface with his potential, all combined with a couple key role players acquired this past off-season???

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the Cavs go as Lebron goes, despite having 3 other all-stars on that team, a player that is continually mentioned as a DPOY candidate, an up and coming big man yet to really scratch the surface with his potential, all combined with a couple key role players acquired this past off-season???

I think all but the most ardent Cleveland fan would admit that if you replaced Lebron with an average 3, Cleveland would suddenly be a decidedly worse version of last year's Suns under Porter.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

I know this, and you know this, but there are a lot of people who would overlook this, or choose to ignore it (being Cav's fans).

Also... look at the numbers today. We keep climbing and pulling away. We have the just over a 1 in 4 chance of winning the title according to Hollinger's program and are starting to pull away in his power rankings now that we started maintaining healthy leads.

I wonder how the hell Hollinger comes up with these percentages. We're looking nice, sitting atop at the 1 spot for Champion odds.

I don't believe in these type of things since math does not factor in luck or all the other variables that go into playing ball games and the lives of the people who play them. I do respect the Professor though, and it helps to have the numbers on your side.