Sign in to follow this  
Magic31

Chat with Darko Milicic

quote:
Deltona: How's the team feeling coming off the win against the Bucks?

Darko Milicic: We feel good, because we just came off a tough stretch and this gets us back into the right frame of mind going into the future.

Lisa (Orlando): How does it feel to finally be starting on an NBA team?

Darko Milicic: It feels great. Every player in the league, their goal is to start fcr their team. I got a chance to start in Orlando and I'm really happy about it. I really enjoy playing with these players and this team and I'm just working hard now to keep helping us win games.

Allyn (Dallas): Mr. Milicic, as a Magic fan it's great seeing you earn more minutes and providing stellar defense for the team. How did last summer's experience (playing for Serbia's National Team) improve your overall game?

Darko Milicic: I think it did alot of good for me. When you play in these tournaments against the best players from every country, it can only help. Also I got to play alot and the coach gave me the freedom to do what I can do. The only thing I didn't like, is that we didn't win! We reached the quarterfinals, but it would have been better to get even further, but I think our team did play well considering the competition.

Oviedo: Hey Darko, How long did it take you to feel comfortable with living in America and learning the language. Also, was it hard trying to learn new schemes in the NBA.

Darko Milicic: It was very difficult for me. I was 13 when I originally left home, so I was used to it a little bit more than most guys, but it was still difficult. I didn't get much chance to play in Detroit and that was a problem. The language wasn't a problem, as English is pretty easy to learn and just by talking to my teammates, which you have to do, I picked up the language pretty well.

Santo Domingo: Hey Darko, i was wondering how is your relationship with Coach Hill and how does he treats you guys?

Darko Milicic: It's very good. He's the kind of coach who really wants to help guys improve their games. He wants us to do our best for every minute of every game. He's a good coach. I have a good relationship with him and he tells me what he expects from me to help our team win games. He told me not to worry about not scoring so much, he realizes I didn't play for three years so my scoring touch is not what it can be. But he told me to keep working and doing all the things I can do...scoring yes...but many other things...to help us win games.

Jason (Orlando): I am a big fan and a fellow lefty. Do you see any sort of advantages in being a lefty out on the floor?

Darko Milicic: For me personally, I don't get that so much. But I hear from coaches that sometimes it's harder to guard lefties. If they say so, that's fine with me. I will keep working hard and hopefully it will be difficult for guys to defend. I'm not sure why, but I think it may be because things look different coming from the left side.

Deke (Orlando): If you wernt playing basketball what do you think you would be doing?

Darko Milicic: I don't really know. I only know what it's like to be a basketball player because that's what I am.

Sam (Orlando): Why do you wear the number 31?

Darko Milicic: I was 13 back home and Mehmet Okur had 13, so I switched it to 31.

Rafael (Orlando): How do you prepare yourself for a game?

Darko Milicic: I go to shootaround before the game. Go home and get something to eat and I take a two-hour nap. Then I go back to the arena and get ready for the game. I get there about two hours early, so I can shoot, watch tapes, get my work in. I watch what guys I'm playing did the game before. Things like that.

Jon (Orlando): Darko, Were so glad your here in Orlando. What do you do with your free time here in O-Town?

Darko Milicic: All I do is sleep and when it's really hot outside, I sit by the pool. I'm in a nice apartment community where everyone hangs by the pool and relaxes. The thing about Orlando, is that the weather is really, really beautiful so you have to take advantage of that and enjoy it.

Darko Milicic: Thanks to all the fans for chatting with me today, I really enjoyed answering your questions and I hope I can do it again some time. I appreciate all the support and hope you'll continue to come out and watch the Magic as we do our best to play exciting basketball and make the playoffs. Thanks again.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatNBA?event_id=14844

I was suprised by the 5th question, the one about his relationship with B. Hill, but then again I wasn't expecting him to bash on Hill.

quote:

Darko Milicic: We feel good, because we just came off a tough stretch and this gets us back into the right frame of mind going into the future.

Darko Milicic: It feels great. Every player in the league, their goal is to start fcr their team. I got a chance to start in Orlando and I'm really happy about it. I really enjoy playing with these players and this team and I'm just working hard now to keep helping us win games.

Allyn (Dallas): Mr. Milicic, as a Magic fan it's great seeing you earn more minutes and providing stellar defense for the team. How did last summer's experience (playing for Serbia's National Team) improve your overall game?

Darko Milicic: I think it did alot of good for me. When you play in these tournaments against the best players from every country, it can only help. Also I got to play alot and the coach gave me the freedom to do what I can do. The only thing I didn't like, is that we didn't win! We reached the quarterfinals, but it would have been better to get even further, but I think our team did play well considering the competition.

Oviedo: Hey Darko, How long did it take you to feel comfortable with living in America and learning the language. Also, was it hard trying to learn new schemes in the NBA.

Darko Milicic: It was very difficult for me. I was 13 when I originally left home, so I was used to it a little bit more than most guys, but it was still difficult. I didn't get much chance to play in Detroit and that was a problem. The language wasn't a problem, as English is pretty easy to learn and just by talking to my teammates, which you have to do, I picked up the language pretty well.

Santo Domingo: Hey Darko, i was wondering how is your relationship with Coach Hill and how does he treats you guys?

Darko Milicic: It's very good. He's the kind of coach who really wants to help guys improve their games. He wants us to do our best for every minute of every game. He's a good coach. I have a good relationship with him and he tells me what he expects from me to help our team win games. He told me not to worry about not scoring so much, he realizes I didn't play for three years so my scoring touch is not what it can be. But he told me to keep working and doing all the things I can do...scoring yes...but many other things...to help us win games.

Jason (Orlando): I am a big fan and a fellow lefty. Do you see any sort of advantages in being a lefty out on the floor?

Darko Milicic: For me personally, I don't get that so much. But I hear from coaches that sometimes it's harder to guard lefties. If they say so, that's fine with me. I will keep working hard and hopefully it will be difficult for guys to defend. I'm not sure why, but I think it may be because things look different coming from the left side.

Deke (Orlando): If you wernt playing basketball what do you think you would be doing?

Darko Milicic: I don't really know. I only know what it's like to be a basketball player because that's what I am.

Darko Milicic: I was 13 back home and Mehmet Okur had 13, so I switched it to 31.

Darko Milicic: I go to shootaround before the game. Go home and get something to eat and I take a two-hour nap. Then I go back to the arena and get ready for the game. I get there about two hours early, so I can shoot, watch tapes, get my work in. I watch what guys I'm playing did the game before. Things like that.

Jon (Orlando): Darko, Were so glad your here in Orlando. What do you do with your free time here in O-Town?

Darko Milicic: All I do is sleep and when it's really hot outside, I sit by the pool. I'm in a nice apartment community where everyone hangs by the pool and relaxes. The thing about Orlando, is that the weather is really, really beautiful so you have to take advantage of that and enjoy it.

Darko Milicic: Thanks to all the fans for chatting with me today, I really enjoyed answering your questions and I hope I can do it again some time. I appreciate all the support and hope you'll continue to come out and watch the Magic as we do our best to play exciting basketball and make the playoffs. Thanks again.

I was suprised by the 5th question, the one about his relationship with B. Hill, but then again I wasn't expecting him to bash on Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Is it just me or is Darko much more articulate on paper then verbally?

I am sure he had an asst. with him during the chat to check grammar.

quote:

Ohh I know. But it makes you think... was he there at all?

LOL, I doubt anyone else could tell you why he wears number 31 so quick.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

quote:

I really enjoy hearing this from him. It displays his dedication and hard work, and it's paying off.

quote:

I wonder if any of the other players share the same sentiment in regards to Brian Hill.

I asked the question I did to try to dig into his work ethic, since rumor has it that he is lazy.

quote:
quote:

LOL, I doubt anyone else could tell you why he wears number 31 so quick.

I don't know but WPMagic might have a point. The question I asked was posted on Sunday!

I was dissappointed with his explanation of why he wore the number 31. I mean I knew he wore the number 13 back in Serbia, but he also wore the number 11. And the number 13 is available with the Magic, so why didn't he switch back. I'm always interested in how players choose their numbers.

quote:

Well the chat was supposed to be on Tuesday, and they postponed it to today because he was "unavoidably busy" yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

I was dissappointed with his explanation of why he wore the number 31. I mean I knew he wore the number 13 back in Serbia, but he also wore the number 11. And the number 13 is available with the Magic, so why didn't he switch back. I'm always interested in how players choose their numbers.

Maybe someone told him that the number 13 is traditionally unlucky in American culture. : )