Noonskadoodle17

NBA Banning Z from returning to Cavs???

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Mouse:

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

quote:

I don't really understand this. Will somebody please explain to me how this Z buyout works? I don't get how he is traded but 30 days later the cavs can buy him out

teams with players that have expiring contracts, may "buy" that players contract. meaning they can negotiate an amount upfront, and give up all rights to that player. Then, that player is free to sign with any team he wants. However, if he wants to play for the same team that traded him, he must wait 30 days. All other teams can sign immediately.

someone correct me if i'm wrong

thanks big pimpin. I don't like that rule either so I am glad the NBA may be stepping in to stop the cavs from buying out Z. It's unethical to trade someone to a team then buy him back.

The buyout cannot be a written agreement, or be any part of the trade in any way. It's more like a gentlemen's deal. It is still up to the Wizards to buy out his contract on some negotiated amount. technically they don't have to b/c they made enough trades to avoid the luxury tax.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't really understand this. Will somebody please explain to me how this Z buyout works? I don't get how he is traded but 30 days later the cavs can buy him out

teams with players that have expiring contracts, may "buy" that players contract. meaning they can negotiate an amount upfront, and give up all rights to that player. Then, that player is free to sign with any team he wants. However, if he wants to play for the same team that traded him, he must wait 30 days. All other teams can sign immediately.

thanks big pimpin. I don't like that rule either so I am glad the NBA may be stepping in to stop the cavs from buying out Z. It's unethical to trade someone to a team then buy him back.

The buyout cannot be a written agreement, or be any part of the trade in any way. It's more like a gentlemen's deal. It is still up to the Wizards to buy out his contract on some negotiated amount. technically they don't have to b/c they made enough trades to avoid the luxury tax.

they plan to either monday or tuesday i believe.

i cant see how the league can block it as there is no rule against this but i do believe that there should be rule preventing a team from resigning a player that was waved after being traded away in the same season

quote:
Originally posted by deadman54:

i cant see how the league can block it as there is no rule against this but i do believe that there should be rule preventing a team from resigning a player that was waved after being traded away in the same season

there is a rule against it. its called collusion.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

no they didn't made enough trades, Wiz are still over luxury, 3.5 mill over.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

That would be dumb by the league to block Z. If he gets bought out, he should be able to do whatever he wants. If they don't like the rule, then they need to change it.

This.

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

That would be dumb by the league to block Z. If he gets bought out, he should be able to do whatever he wants. If they don't like the rule, then they need to change it.

This.

I agree, but anyways, they can't block him from signing with the Cavs unless they have evidence of a pre arranged deal that he'd get bought out, which there is none and is very hard to prove. Doc Rivers and Phil Jackson are just being lil girls about it cuz it's not benefiting them, no one complained that they gave up no one for Gasol, and when Boston got back payton when he was bought out.

If anything, the Wizards can always wait til March 2nd to buy him out, not making him eligible to play for the Cavs during the playoffs...

To those saying that they need hard evidence: they don't.

The CBA's general circumvision provision states, incredibly clearly, that if a transaction committed by a team is deigned to have been done with the intention of circumventing existing CBA rules, even if no individual rules are broken, then the league is within its rights to block that transaction from happening, even if only circumstantial evidence exists.

It's the same reason why a team can't say: "Oh, we're only allowed to send 3m in cash per trade? Well in that case we'll send 3m and Player X for Player Y, and then we'll send 3m in cash for your 2nd round pick this year and 3m in cash for your 2nd round pick 2 years from now. See? 3m per trade. We didn't break any rules."

The circumvention provision exists SPECIFICALLY to stop this sort of thing from occurring. Now, if you want to argue that the league is acting like asshats for enforcing this now and not when Boston did it with Payton or when Detroit did it with McDyess, that's fine and completely valid. It would be hypocritical to enforce the rule now.

However, that hypocrisy doesn't make the challenge any less valid, and it's not like the league hasn't blatantly contradicted themselves over rules favoring larger markets in the past. If they didn't, then Boston wouldn't have gotten out of the first round 2 years ago, let alone won a title.

I'd like to add that I don't actually believe the league will block Z from going to the Cavs. I fully expect him to be a Cav by the end of March.

However, the league would be within their rights to enforce the rule, even if they haven't in the past.

I was all excited when I read "deigned" thinking he misspelled designed, but then realized it was wasn't a typo icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

I was all excited when I read "deigned" thinking he misspelled designed, but then realized it was wasn't a typo icon_frown.gif

What's sad is, as weird as people searching for typos in my post is, it's only the second weirdest thing someone's said to me on this board in the last 24 hours.

The strangest was clearly the multiple paragraphs Dirtdan wrote yesterday in the chat about how he could tell I was a reader because my vocabulary was enormous.