Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Bianchi vs. firebrianhill.org

I usually cannot knock newspaper writers. It is probably hard to know that you are not the source for all information like it was not many years ago. On the other hand a "writer" has an ethical responsibility to not take quotes out of context and put some cognitive thought and effort instead of slapping together an article that paints everything with a very broad brush.

I was disappointed but not surprised by the article since this has been the experience of so called freedom of speech in the mainstream journalism associated with commercial papers. The tons of biased political related news, where selected out of context quotes are used to defend points of opposing views are ample evidence of the unfairness of this sort of journalism. I am one of the aging war baby boom generation and I felt specially angered by the putdown of Winsor position based on his youth and carrer standing. Lets not get into a no win antagonistic situation with our own magic reporters for it will only make our team situation worse. Those like Winsor can continue its fight thru the web and by writing letters to the editor to continue defending their views. The final decision of who runs the team is made by the owners and management and we can only hurt them or pressure them in their pockets by not assiting ofr boycotting the games. Yet, this can splash back in the fan faces by forcing the owners to move the franchise some where else.

quote:
Originally posted by weezt0e:

I would love to. What sort of challenge do you have in mind?

to: Mike Bianchi mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.

Weston Winsor www.firebrianhill.org

subject: OPEN LETTER CHALLENGE

I read the March 7, 07' article "Two Bits is the gold standard for fan loyalty" by Mike Bianchi and I came to the conclusion that the Orlando Magic fans need to be polled on whether Brian Hill should stay or go. I am 72 years old, a member and contributor to the OrlandoMagic.com Message Board and have signed along with the 550+ (still growing number) petition on firebrianhill.org to remove Brian Hill as the head coach of the Orlando Magic. Mike, you said that George Edmondson, 84 years old, is the ultimate old- school fan that encourages and goes to every game and that Weston Winsor, 24 years old, is the ultimate new age fan that rarely goes to a game and complains. Mike, you also say that maybe you are old-fashioned in that you believe you should support your coach no matter what.

I am old, old fashioned, and support the average fan that pays hard earned cash in a tax subsidized arena and buys Magic gear on a salary nowhere near what a NBA coach makes. Sorry Mike, I won't support one man against the collective wishes of the majority of the fans. Here at OrlandoMagic.com Message Board and many other Magic websites, the members overwhelmingly want Brian Hill replaced.

My challenge is for the two of you to prove your case and let the fans decide.

from, The Solution

(I will disclose my real name when both parties agree to the challenge.)

weezt0e, I have decided to write the open letter post on this forum and send it to both of you. Are you o.k. with it and will you accept the challenge?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

How about we publicly challenge Schmitz, Bianchi, Povtak and any other Sentinel writer to join this forum and debate intelligently with us? They keep referencing the board and websites started by members of the board. It seems only fitting that they would stand up and identify themselves and their opinions in this forum.

I know if it was me, as prideful as I am, I wouldn't settle for being drug through the mud by forum members without retaliating (in a constructive manner of course).

So, here it is. A formal challenge to any Sentinel sports writers to join our board and demonstrate their range of knowledge against some of the most die-hard, informed, and articulate fans on the planet. Bring it boys!

D@mn Smack, way to step up. You my dawg cuz. I'll help you jump them bra'.

Who cares where a fan lives? Bianchi makes it seem like someone is less of a fan if they don't live in Orlando. Someone can live as far away as China and still be just as big of a fan as someone who lives in Orlando.

That's the only advantage this "younger generation" has over older people. They can follow their favorite team over the internet or watch on satelite tv.

Shows how someone can be ignorant and one sided.

quote:

I do accept! Thank you solution. As soon as Mr. Bianchi accepts, I will deliver !

Open Letter Challenge has been e-mailed to mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com

quote:

In the east, some would say the eigth seed is pretty bad. Also ask yourself this: Have we improved? Barely. I would say we have actually regressed. The problem is the coaching strategy. Last year after we threw out the Princeton offence, we started winning. This year, I believe we started losing once they players were expected to know and run Hill's offense. The structure is actually hurting us.

We have regressed? We are in the 8th seed right now. We were NO seed last year. Do you think Dwight has regressed? Do you think Darko has regressed? Do you think Ariza has regressed?

What your failing to understand is that certain players development is more important to this ball club then a few wins. This is why Otis came out and said that he cares more about development really then wins right now. Sure everyone wants to go to the playoffs and I think we will but further player development critical for any chance of a ring.

Hill's offense is designed for Howard first. Yes its a structured offense and it takes time, and certain players, to perfect it but its a very credible offense once you get it down.

Everything just has to take time. Last year we missed the playoffs. This year we'll make it. Dwight has gone from 14 or so points per game to 18 this year...An all star...And in the last few weeks has been averaging 20+ and 10+. Darko has become more confident. Hes actually throwing down dunks instead of being scared and throwing up soft layups. Ariza has become a real threat of the bench defensively AND offensively.

Just takes time. I personally knew this going into this year. Some fans were talking about 50 wins and I was like "Whoa. Thats what teams with experience get." I figured 40 or so and we're not to far away from that.

Magicman - You're kidding me right?

Coming off of a 16-6 stretch to close last season and a 13-4 stretch to beging this season, I think it is fair to say that the team has regressed by going 16-29 over the last 45 games.

Dwight Howard's improvement has nothing to do with Brian Hill. He averaged 16pts and 12.5 rebounds last year while attempting 10.8 shots per game. This year he is averaging 18 pts and 12 reb per game while attempting 10.8 shots per game. The only reason that he is scoring 1.5 pts per game more this season is because his free throw shooting has iproved marginally.

Darko's improvement has only occurred because an injury to Tony Battie has required that Brian Hill utilize Darko (who was averaging 21 minutes per game before Battie's injury).

Ariza's improvement has also been necessitated by injuries to a degree. Ariza is one of those players that hustles and works hard. That is why he has improved this season. It has nothing to do with Brian Hill.

The point is, we are playing in a much softer Eastern Conference this year with a very favorable schedule and we are currently on pace to win 38 games this season. That's a two game improvement over last year. That's nothing stellar that demands respect and suport from fans.

And as far as your arguement that we are currently sitting in the 8th seed and on our way to making the playoffs. That statement would have been false just 24 hours ago when we were the 10th seed. But because New York, Miami, and New Jersey all lost, we have moved up. Woopie!

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

How about we publicly challenge Schmitz, Bianchi, Povtak and any other Sentinel writer to join this forum and debate intelligently with us? They keep referencing the board and websites started by members of the board. It seems only fitting that they would stand up and identify themselves and their opinions in this forum.

I know if it was me, as prideful as I am, I wouldn't settle for being drug through the mud by forum members without retaliating (in a constructive manner of course).

So, here it is. A formal challenge to any Sentinel sports writers to join our board and demonstrate their range of knowledge against some of the most die-hard, informed, and articulate fans on the planet. Bring it boys!

I think we should challenge them to a debate. Anyone know anyone at the stations - or maybe on 580 am. Anyone know anyone there. Smack, I'm in on the debate on Brian Hill - I have been sending Bianchi emails a few times a week saying what an idiot he is. He said he should start a website shutuploudmouthfans.org - I bust on him for that. Bianchi is an idiot and we should all send him emails telling him so. I send him long emails - the lastest was over our 1 win out of 8 games before Monday's win. I blasted Bianchi. He is an idiot.

I know some people don't like Schmitz as well, but he seems to be the only one willing to stand up to the Magic at all and bring out any controversy. I like Brian Schmitz - can't stand Bianchi, and the others are pretty much silent.

I would like to be a part of our Magic message board panel against the sports writers.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:

I would love to. What sort of challenge do you have in mind?

to: Mike Bianchi mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.

Weston Winsor www.firebrianhill.org

subject: OPEN LETTER CHALLENGE

I read the March 7, 07' article "Two Bits is the gold standard for fan loyalty" by Mike Bianchi and I came to the conclusion that the Orlando Magic fans need to be polled on whether Brian Hill should stay or go. I am 72 years old, a member and contributor to the OrlandoMagic.com Message Board and have signed along with the 550+ (still growing number) petition on firebrianhill.org to remove Brian Hill as the head coach of the Orlando Magic. Mike, you said that George Edmondson, 84 years old, is the ultimate old- school fan that encourages and goes to every game and that Weston Winsor, 24 years old, is the ultimate new age fan that rarely goes to a game and complains. Mike, you also say that maybe you are old-fashioned in that you believe you should support your coach no matter what.

I am old, old fashioned, and support the average fan that pays hard earned cash in a tax subsidized arena and buys Magic gear on a salary nowhere near what a NBA coach makes. Sorry Mike, I won't support one man against the collective wishes of the majority of the fans. Here at OrlandoMagic.com Message Board and many other Magic websites, the members overwhelmingly want Brian Hill replaced.

My challenge is for the two of you to prove your case and let the fans decide.

from, The Solution

(I will disclose my real name when both parties agree to the challenge.)

weezt0e, I have decided to write the open letter post on this forum and send it to both of you. Are you o.k. with it and will you accept the challenge?

Very nice solution - make sure you email it to him and also send it to tim povtak, brian schmitz, jerry greene and david whitley - make sure they all see it so maybe one of them will write an article saying the fans are challenging Bianchi. I think Brian Schmitz recognizes the problem we have with Brian Hill. I am sending at least a few emails a week and I have made it clear that I will not renew my season tickets unless Brian Hill is fired. No other compensation will get me to renew - BHill goes or I go.