Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Trading Vince Update on Pg. 14(Chad Ford)

I still say we need a Horace Grant type player; we don't have enough people that are willing to go inside and fight for defensive rebounds. The trick is to find a player who won't crowd Dwight inside, but hangs out close enough to grab boards (as opposed to camping out at the 3-point line).

That's why I'm sold on Bosh, but I'm not sure we have the salary room to actually pull that off.

Wade? Sure - but Miami would be stupid to let him go, too. Same with Paul.

Guess I'll wait and see.

Personally I can't figure out why NO would feel compelled to trade us CP3, or why WAS would trade Butler to us.

Let's first consider that if CP3 is unhappy in NO, then the Hornets would need to consider that his player option in 2012 will likely not be exercised. This would mean that NO owes him 44.7mil over the next 3 years. With that in mind, the notion that VC would be the cornerstone of a deal while being owed 33.6 mil over the next 2 years, and with NO already over the LT threshold resulting in an additional 12mil worth of penalties to pay VC's contract instead of Paul's contract, the Hornets would ultimately pay a half million more for VC's services over two years compared to Paul's services over three years.

For sh1ts and giggles - The only way I could ever conceive of a deal working for both sides would be IF the Magic agreed to take back one of NO's bad contracts in exchange for our TPE, or handed the Hornets a boat load of future first round picks. I guess including Jameer Nelson in exchange for Posey or Mo Pete may help convince NO, but then we are redesigning our roster completely and eating a ton of Luxury Tax payments.

As for Caron Butler...what in the world would convince WAS to trade him to us? His contract expires after next season, he only makes 10mil, and he's still very productive. So for the reasonable salary he makes, it would seem like they're not going to get better value in return, unless perhaps their only motivation is to get below the cap and shed salary. In that case, we could deal them our TPE and a future first in exchange for Butler and then also deal them JJ and his expiring deal for Stevenson.

While I've painted a few scenarios that at least work within the parameters of the rules and according to the terms I think a trade partner would demand, I don't think either situation is the least bit likely (just spitballing I guess).

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Personally I can't figure out why NO would feel compelled to trade us CP3, or why WAS would trade Butler to us.

Let's first consider that if CP3 is unhappy in NO, then the Hornets would need to consider that his player option in 2012 will likely not be exercised. This would mean that NO owes him 44.7mil over the next 3 years. With that in mind, the notion that VC would be the cornerstone of a deal while being owed 33.6 mil over the next 2 years, and with NO already over the LT threshold resulting in an additional 12mil worth of penalties to pay VC's contract instead of Paul's contract, the Hornets would ultimately pay a half million more for VC's services over two years compared to Paul's services over three years.

For sh1ts and giggles - The only way I could ever conceive of a deal working for both sides would be IF the Magic agreed to take back one of NO's bad contracts in exchange for our TPE, or handed the Hornets a boat load of future first round picks. I guess including Jameer Nelson in exchange for Posey or Mo Pete may help convince NO, but then we are redesigning our roster completely and eating a ton of Luxury Tax payments.

As for Caron Butler...what in the world would convince WAS to trade him to us? His contract expires after next season, he only makes 10mil, and he's still very productive. So for the reasonable salary he makes, it would seem like they're not going to get better value in return, unless perhaps their only motivation is to get below the cap and shed salary. In that case, we could deal them our TPE and a future first in exchange for Butler and then also deal them JJ and his expiring deal for Stevenson.

While I've painted a few scenarios that at least work within the parameters of the rules and according to the terms I think a trade partner would demand, I don't think either situation is the least bit likely (just spitballing I guess).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/t...hine?tradeId=ykapx6x

plus picks.

What about Jameer, J.J. Redick and Gortat(BYC player) for Chris Paul?

Since only half of Gortat's salary would be included the numbers to this trade are almost identical by my math(I think).

Just sayin'...

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Since only half of Gortat's salary would be included the numbers to this trade are almost identical by my math(I think).

Just sayin'...

That's not how BYC trades work.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Just sayin'...

would it work?...care to explain?

quote:

Just sayin'...

We would need to throw at least (2) future first round picks into that deal to even get their attention. And then I think that it would also depend upon whether or not NO was able to trade West, and for what.

It would be funny if NO traded West to CLE and Paul to us, and then sat back and watched the horror in LA that they created.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Just sayin'...

would it work?...care to explain?

BYC means the outgoing value is a fraction of his salary. His incoming value remains the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

paul is also a BYC though.

I didn't realize that. Well, forget about CP3 being traded any time this year unless somebody wants Peja's craptastic contract with him.