Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

Actually, Elder Scrolls has been considerably dumbed down. In Morrowind, there was no "compass" to tell you exactly what to do, or magic spell to show you a path to your next objective. Your map didn't even show you where you were. It was cool. You had to look around like reading a real map and figure it out. That, and there were a lot more different kinds of weapons and spells. And that's my geek rant for the day.

Yeah, that's why I said "(maybe)". I also don't like the choosing of signs to be under stones. That and enchanting and that sort of stuff is pretty dumbed down. That said, it is a considerably better direction than some of my other favorite franchises have gone like:

Splinter Cell

Ghost Recon

Rainbow Six

Hitman (the new one)

Medal of Honor

C&C

Star Wars games

Crysis

and probably many more I am failing to remember

Yeah, that's why I said "(maybe)". I also don't like the choosing of signs to be under stones. That and enchanting and that sort of stuff is pretty dumbed down. That said, it is a considerably better direction than some of my other favorite franchises have gone like:

Splinter Cell

Ghost Recon

Rainbow Six

Hitman (the new one)

Medal of Honor

C&C

Star Wars games

Crysis

and probably many more I am failing to remember

Max Payne?

Semi relevant, but has anyone else noticed how widespread that Skyrim "took an arrow to the knee" meme has gotten? I swear every youtube video has one in the comments section. Not just video game related vids, either.

I haven't played the game but I'm assuming they say it a few times considering how ubiquitous the damn thing is.

Semi relevant, but has anyone else noticed how widespread that Skyrim "took an arrow to the knee" meme has gotten? I swear every youtube video has one in the comments section. Not just video game related vids, either.

I haven't played the game but I'm assuming they say it a few times considering how ubiquitous the damn thing is.

Every male guard in every town will say that line.

Meanwhile, the Deus Ex: Human Revolution meme isn't as wide spread, but it's really goddamned funny.

How's this for a mind f**k? I got Skyrim last week and heard it in the game the other day, thinking it was a reference to the meme. Well it was a mind f**k for me, anyway, to learn it was actually from the game. Actually, it really wasn't. Just a peculiar occurrence. Actually, never mind. hey.

• Upvote 1

Here's what blows my mind:

Skyrim is a phenomenally successful game. It's won awards, it's everywhere in the video game industry, and it's making Bethesda money hand over fist.

It will probably top Oblivion, a very successful game in its own right, in lifetime sales next week, less than a month and a half after its release..

And with all that, Skyrim would still have to almost double it's total sales just to equal the total sales Modern Warfare 3 had in its first week.

Here's what blows my mind:

Skyrim is a phenomenally successful game. It's won awards, it's everywhere in the video game industry, and it's making Bethesda money hand over fist.

It will probably top Oblivion, a very successful game in its own right, in lifetime sales next week, less than a month and a half after its release..

And with all that, Skyrim would still have to almost double it's total sales just to equal the total sales Modern Warfare 3 had in its first week.

The difference is the casual gamer. The casual gamer makes Modern Warfare 3. Where as the casual gamer is intimidated by a lengthy game with more options then you can shake a stick at like Skyrim.

The difference is the casual gamer. The casual gamer makes Modern Warfare 3. Where as the casual gamer is intimidated by a lengthy game with more options then you can shake a stick at like Skyrim.

I get that. I'm more shocked my how much of a reminder it is that my sense of scale for video games remains incredibly skewed.

It feels like Skyrim is this monolothic thing, and then I look it up and it has only sold a little over 3m copies in the United States across all platforms. And that number seems so incredibly small, relative to how much influence the game has.

I have to remind myself about some things, like the whole "In 2010, there were only around 10m in total PC game sales. In the world."

No disrespect, but I'd much rather play MW3 than Skyrim (I bought BF3 though)

And that meme that's been floating around is generally mispelled. It's not "arrow to the knee" it's "arrow in the knee"

Shooters are the video game equivalent of keys being jiggled in front of a baby.

Platformers are the video game equivalent of huffing paint.

Makes as much sense.