Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Now he is somewhat reconsidering the retirement. Many things being discussed.

its just damage control to possibly save recruiting.

Yeah damage control, hes not going anywhere. I think he realized what a mistake he was making. The guy has stress, he just needs to find a way to deal with it. His heart checked out fine and I think he realized he would probably be more stressed not coaching. This could rally the team, rumor has it almost all if not all juniors want to come back instead of going to the draft. Next years team will probably be even better.

You're smart, read between the lines here. He wouldn't have made the statement yesterday if he was healthy. UF's administration had him state now that it's a indefinite leave of absence.

He'll come back "when he's healthy" (he may never be healthy)

earlier today:

and you can talk about biases but i have no reason to want urban to leave. I know what happens when you have a disengaged HC leaving management in the hands of inexperienced and/or unqualified assistants who vie among themselves for power.

now we'll be able to negatively recruit the hell out of you until the curtain falls from this ruse.

quote:

and you can talk about biases but i have no reason to want urban to leave. I know what happens when you have a disengaged HC leaving management in the hands of inexperienced and/or unqualified assistants who vie among themselves for power.

now we'll be able to negatively recruit the hell out of you until the curtain falls from this ruse.

Meyer is already telling recruits he isn't going anywhere, players don't only go for coaches and if Meyer was to leave we could pluck basically any coach we wanted and still have a name there. HC's do less recruiting than the assistants anyway, Addazio and strong do more in recruiting than Meyer does. Mullen was the best recruiter supposedly and this team still put out a top 5 class. Strong left and recruits weren't jumping ship and players realize this UF. We have every resource available and are the top CF program in the country. If you want to go somewhwere else there is a line of guys who want your spot, big deal. This team is deep and doesn't need freshman to play anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

Meyer is already telling recruits he isn't going anywhere, players don't only go for coaches and if Meyer was to leave we could pluck basically any coach we wanted and still have a name there. HC's do less recruiting than the assistants anyway, Addazio and strong do more in recruiting than Meyer does. Mullen was the best recruiter supposedly and this team still put out a top 5 class. Strong left and recruits weren't jumping ship and players realize this UF. We have every resource available and are the top CF program in the country. If you want to go somewhwere else there is a line of guys who want your spot, big deal. This team is deep and doesn't need freshman to play anyway.

which is why elam is no longer an EE, and is reportedly pissed off.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

In before VabeachMagicfan ruins this thread.

This should be a smiley.

In a vain attempt to prevent this thread being a slap fight between Trey and Vabch in which no one wins, I will drunkenly (it took me 4 times to type that correctly) attempt to provide pros and cons from a Gator perspective.

PROS:

1) Meyer is a top 3 coach in the country. I would think most FSU fans, even the extreme homers would admit this. Where he fits among Saban and Carroll is up for debate, but Meyer is one of the very best coaches in the country.

2) If, in fact, Meyer plans to return, Foley handled it in the only way possible. You can not hire a top candidate given the fact that Meyer will be hanging around Gainesville and there would be constant speculation. While I have serious doubts about Addazio as an offensive coordinator (let alone as interim head coach), he has been at Florida with Meyer since 2005 and would fit a "caretaker" role until Meyer decides to return.

3) With Meyer's health issues, there is absolutely no doubt that he needs time off. While there is a significant section of our fan base that are ******bags (not unlike any other school, although I know most FSU fans think UF fans are *******s, and that opinion is reciprocated. I firmly believe that all fan bases are exactly the same, but its off topic, I could write a Masters' thesis on this.), I do think that Meyer's health issues are mostly self inflicted and not induced because of the fans. Meyer is not the first nor will he be the last to deal with unrealistic expectations (like say, Notre Dame). The answer lies in the fact that he takes things too personally and too hard. He treats his players and the University of Florida like family, and when he loses he gets absolutely sick feeling that he let down his players, his staff, and the University.

CONS:

1) This can, will be, and is already being used to negatively recruit against Meyer and UF. Even though its a dead period (a whole separate issue that is worthy of its own thread). I think even Vabch will admit this. I believe UF can and would (and probably has in the past) use this in the same way. No one knows if Meyer will return, and if he does return, how long he can or will remain as head coach.

2) IMO Meyer is extraordinarily successful because he cares so deeply and works so hard to gain the success that we have enjoyed during his tenure. IF Meyer returns, changing his ways without being so relentless of a recruiter, film watcher etc, will he be able to sustain this level of success? I don't believe he will reach the level of detachment that Bowden reached, but I do believe he cannot sustain his current pace.

3) Because of the physical toll Meyer's work ethic has taken upon himself, it is unlikely Meyer can ask his assistants to go the extra mile (or 2). So this might not just have an effect on the head coach, but might continue down through the staff.

4a) Will the Gator fans be able to live with a coach (no matter how successful) that will admittedly not be giving 100%, his heart and soul, towards the success of the program? The answer is yes, now, but if UF does not regularly contend for SEC and National Titles, the answer is a resounding no. This is admittedly unfair, but I will speak for myself and say that I (and likely many others, including Meyer) let football take too big of a priority in my life. I, as well others, should take this opportunity to re-examine our priorities.

4b) Will Meyer be able to live with losses knowing that he could make one more call to a recruit, watch one more hour of film, that might have made a difference? It appears that with his current health issues that he cannot. If he makes the changes necessary to remain as coach without risking his health, will he be able to live up to the standards he has set up for himself, let alone the standards of UF (which are equally unreasonable)?

5) If Meyer is unable to make the necessary changes before he ever coaches another game, UF is stuck with Steve Addazio as interim head coach, who as Offensive Coordinator has to assume responsibility for an offensive that greatly underperformed this year (we can debate all the reasons in another thread, but the OC assumes ultimate responsibility). I have little faith in Addazio as an OC, let alone as head coach. Assuming Meyer does not return, we are losing time in bringing a qualified head coach that can set up his program and would make the job more difficult for whomever takes the position.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

In a vain attempt to prevent this thread being a slap fight between Trey and Vabch in which no one wins, I will drunkenly (it took me 4 times to type that correctly) attempt to provide pros and cons from a Gator perspective.

PROS:

1) Meyer is a top 3 coach in the country. I would think most FSU fans, even the extreme homers would admit this. Where he fits among Saban and Carroll is up for debate, but Meyer is one of the very best coaches in the country.

2) If, in fact, Meyer plans to return, Foley handled it in the only way possible. You can not hire a top candidate given the fact that Meyer will be hanging around Gainesville and there would be constant speculation. While I have serious doubts about Addazio as an offensive coordinator (let alone as interim head coach), he has been at Florida with Meyer since 2005 and would fit a "caretaker" role until Meyer decides to return.

3) With Meyer's health issues, there is absolutely no doubt that he needs time off. While there is a significant section of our fan base that are ******bags (not unlike any other school, although I know most FSU fans think UF fans are *******s, and that opinion is reciprocated. I firmly believe that all fan bases are exactly the same, but its off topic, I could write a Masters' thesis on this.), I do think that Meyer's health issues are mostly self inflicted and not induced because of the fans. Meyer is not the first nor will he be the last to deal with unrealistic expectations (like say, Notre Dame). The answer lies in the fact that he takes things too personally and too hard. He treats his players and the University of Florida like family, and when he loses he gets absolutely sick feeling that he let down his players, his staff, and the University.

CONS:

1) This can, will be, and is already being used to negatively recruit against Meyer and UF. Even though its a dead period (a whole separate issue that is worthy of its own thread). I think even Vabch will admit this. I believe UF can and would (and probably has in the past) use this in the same way. No one knows if Meyer will return, and if he does return, how long he can or will remain as head coach.

2) IMO Meyer is extraordinarily successful because he cares so deeply and works so hard to gain the success that we have enjoyed during his tenure. IF Meyer returns, changing his ways without being so relentless of a recruiter, film watcher etc, will he be able to sustain this level of success? I don't believe he will reach the level of detachment that Bowden reached, but I do believe he cannot sustain his current pace.

3) Because of the physical toll Meyer's work ethic has taken upon himself, it is unlikely Meyer can ask his assistants to go the extra mile (or 2). So this might not just have an effect on the head coach, but might continue down through the staff.

4a) Will the Gator fans be able to live with a coach (no matter how successful) that will admittedly not be giving 100%, his heart and soul, towards the success of the program? The answer is yes, now, but if UF does not regularly contend for SEC and National Titles, the answer is a resounding no. This is admittedly unfair, but I will speak for myself and say that I (and likely many others, including Meyer) let football take too big of a priority in my life. I, as well others, should take this opportunity to re-examine our priorities.

4b) Will Meyer be able to live with losses knowing that he could make one more call to a recruit, watch one more hour of film, that might have made a difference? It appears that with his current health issues that he cannot. If he makes the changes necessary to remain as coach without risking his health, will he be able to live up to the standards he has set up for himself, let alone the standards of UF (which are equally unreasonable)?

5) If Meyer is unable to make the necessary changes before he ever coaches another game, UF is stuck with Steve Addazio as interim head coach, who as Offensive Coordinator has to assume responsibility for an offensive that greatly underperformed this year (we can debate all the reasons in another thread, but the OC assumes ultimate responsibility). I have little faith in Addazio as an OC, let alone as head coach. Assuming Meyer does not return, we are losing time in bringing a qualified head coach that can set up his program and would make the job more difficult for whomever takes the position.

The hell did I do? Lewis is the one arguing with him. I've learned to not argue with VaBch, he's like a woman. Using logic in my argument gets me nowhere.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

PROS:

CONS:

that pretty much sums up everything

Addazio is the main recruiter anyway, I just listened to the director of scouts inc say that this won't affect much. Florida recruits guys who want to play for Florida, not for Meyer or Tim Tebow. It's a dead period anyway so nobody is talking to anyone, The director at scouts inc says that Florida already has the top class in recruiting, they just drop because they don't have an abundance of recruits. Meyer has already said he will be back. The guy loves Florida and the team will be fine.