Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

Championship Mindset

At first I welcomed the NBA Finals or bust theme that the team had placed amongst themselves. After losing to the Lakers last year, we all wanted it back or some way to press the rewind button...so the team did all they could: held their heads and say we'll get em next year, we'll be in the finals.

Now, I think it may be wearing on the team. Elite teams in the NFL have a game-to-game mindset, for example, all the undefeated football teams in the history of the sport.

Although we have a much much tighter schedule and many more games than NFL teams, do you think the championship mindset is the way to go? or should we take it game-to-game? Give our best efforts every night, regardless of our record or who we are matched up against. I would like to hear your thoughts

At first I welcomed the NBA Finals or bust theme that the team had placed amongst themselves. After losing to the Lakers last year, we all wanted it back or some way to press the rewind button...so the team did all they could: held their heads and say we'll get em next year, we'll be in the finals.

Now, I think it may be wearing on the team. Elite teams in the NFL have a game-to-game mindset, for example, all the undefeated football teams in the history of the sport.

Although we have a much much tighter schedule and many more games than NFL teams, do you think the championship mindset is the way to go? or should we take it game-to-game? Give our best efforts every night, regardless of our record or who we are matched up against. I would like to hear your thoughts

Your exactly right. It's good to have goals, and if you are a contender then your goals should be a championship, but it should not replace that as of now, your only thing you should be concerned with at the moment is the next team you will be playing.

The mindset of this team should always be game to game. If they are a championship mindset having not even clinched a playoff berth...then.I guess we Magic fans and the team are in serious trouble.

Here are things that are wearing on the team: backup PG starting for most of the season, incorporating new players into the system, and lack of defensive effort/understanding. I get the point of this thread, but the undertone, like most threads made after losses, is that there is something drastically wrong with our team and we need to reevaluate everything.

Last night was an awful game. We haven't been playing up to our potential. We are finding it difficult to get up for regular season games after feeling the intensity of the long postseason. But honestly once the playoffs roll around no one will care how this "disastrous" season started, and believe it or not we are 19-7. Everything will be alright, I swear.

Its the passive no hustle attitude on the court that is troubling.

Are they saving themselves for the playoff's or did the championship loss and the business transactions that occurred in the summer have an adverse psychological effect on the attitudes of the players.

When Rashard had his bench thing with Van Gundy, it wasn't the act that bothered me but what he said later that was kind of glossed over by everyone. In an interview he said about the issue - 'I'm not really worried about it, I don't really care'...

Dwight seems to be more concerned that he's not getting SUPERSTAR calls then with the real issue - his worsening foul shooting. When was the last time you saw Dwight make the free throw on an AND-1 play,,,it rarely happens.

Last year the team had a unique chemistry and underdog attitude that held everything together...that chemistry is long gone and the underdog 'us against the world' attitude seems to have mutated into 'we deserve this' "why aren't we getting this".

19-7 beating crappy teams looks nice for now and helps with seeding but the record that is alarming and the one that matters is we're 4-6 vs good teams.

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

Its the passive no hustle attitude on the court that is troubling.

Are they saving themselves for the playoff's or did the championship loss and the business transactions that occurred in the summer have an adverse psychological effect on the attitudes of the players.

When Rashard had his bench thing with Van Gundy, it wasn't the act that bothered me but what he said later that was kind of glossed over by everyone. In an interview he said about the issue - 'I'm not really worried about it, I don't really care'...

Dwight seems to be more concerned that he's not getting SUPERSTAR calls then with the real issue - his worsening foul shooting. When was the last time you saw Dwight make the free throw on an AND-1 play,,,it rarely happens.

Last year the team had a unique chemistry and underdog attitude that held everything together...that chemistry is long gone and the underdog 'us against the world' attitude seems to have mutated into 'we deserve this' "why aren't we getting this".

19-7 beating crappy teams looks nice for now and helps with seeding but the record that is alarming and the one that matters is we're 4-6 vs good teams.

Lewis is one of those players who are paid millions to play and could not give a ****ing **** about the game or the fans.

quote:
Originally posted by AQUARIUM61:

Lewis is one of those players who are paid millions to play and could not give a ****ing **** about the game or the fans.

This might be one of the dumbest things ever said on this forum.

^^^^-this is what I'm talking about. The Magic don't deserve **** unless they play like they deserve it.

We need Shane Battier.....my god....He will help us shut down players using his defense ..u guys think it wud be bad but cmon....imagine Battier, MP, Barnes defending....Defense wins championships

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

^^^^-this is what I'm talking about. The Magic don't deserve **** unless they play like they deserve it.

Completely Agreed.