Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

Killing - ???? the Dutch have never played direct or relied on the air game. They're famous for short one touch passing with a slow build up and using the wings to get past defenders and then cut inside with their technique. Their philosophy is to keep the ball on the floor.

I do agree that the Americans should play more direct and pepper the box with crosses. The only times they looked dangerous against England were from aerial balls and corners into the box. The German game would suit USA.

Manu - the reason why James is at his 2nd world cup is because for some reason England haven't produced a top class goalkeeper since David Seaman. Hart is the future of the England team in goal but like I've said earlier he's very young and only has a couple of caps, which he received in the couple of friendlies in the two weeks before the WC started. Capello is unsure how he will deal with his nerves if he starts for England in this tournament.

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

Killing - ???? the Dutch have never played direct or relied on the air game. They're famous for short one touch passing with a slow build up and using the wings to get past defenders and then cut inside with their technique. Their philosophy is to keep the ball on the floor.

I do agree that the Americans should play more direct and pepper the box with crosses. The only times they looked dangerous against England were from aerial balls and corners into the box. The German game would suit USA.

U right, I can't keep Euro's str8. Who am I thinkin of, Sweden? Regardless, U agree w/my pt.. Time for US to quit pretending it will ever have the skill of SA teams and play to it's strengths.

quote:
U right, I can't keep Euro's str8. Who am I thinkin of, Sweden? Regardless, U agree w/my pt.. Time for US to quit pretending it will ever have the skill of SA teams and play to it's strengths.

Killing, I watched the match between US and England, and Argentinian commentators were telling how good this kid Altidore was. I saw he has a really strong biotype, an ideal body for a striker, but he seemed to be "off" during many parts of the game.

What's your take on him? And, other than him and Donovan, does any US player poses any real threat to elite teams?

quote:
Originally posted by VCplusD12:

Clint Dempsey is the best (US) American player.

Disagree. Tim Howard is the heart and soul of that team by far. Dempsey is a beast no doubt, but Howard's play at Goalie gives the US their best chance at beating teams with more talent.

I knew Paraguay would be a hard team to beat for everyone. They are showing it against a (Very) poor Italian side.

This team could make some noise in the knock out rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

quote:

Killing, I watched the match between US and England, and Argentinian commentators were telling how good this kid Altidore was. I saw he has a really strong biotype, an ideal body for a striker, but he seemed to be "off" during many parts of the game.

What's your take on him? And, other than him and Donovan, does any US player poses any real threat to elite teams?

I honestly don't follow the sport closely, but I do love the game itself, and it baffles me everytime I watch the US play international competition why they are trying to beat superior teams at their own game.

Because, to get back to your question, they lack the collective skill to challenge elite teams playing that style. Outside of great keeper play & own goals, the US has been rather inept in the past 4 world cups.

I think if they played a more direct style and threw the ball into the box more, they'd at least give themselves legitimate scoring opportunities, & put some offensive pressure on opponents.

US soccer team is a like a boxer with no KO punch. Elite teams have nothing to fear imo, are more or less playing not to beat themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

quote:
Originally posted by VCplusD12:

Clint Dempsey is the best (US) American player.

Disagree. Tim Howard is the heart and soul of that team by far. Dempsey is a beast no doubt, but Howard's play at Goalie gives the US their best chance at beating teams with more talent.

Howard, Donovan and Dempsey are the stars of the US team. I don't rate Altidore at all. One of my friends watched him every week this past season while he played for Hull in the English Premier League. He scored just one goal all season. The kid has pace no doubt but doesn't really do much else.

I think until they develop a top class forward they can only aim for around the quarter finals. They produce top keeper after top keeper (being English i'm rather jealous of this) and they have a fairly decent midfield - Donovan and Dempsey in particular are excellent players but they are light at the back and have nothing up front that cause opposing defences any problems.

Until the forward position is addressed I think they remain a team that is pesky and can hang in there against the big boys but is not a true threat to consistently put pressure on these teams.

The improvement in the US over the last 12 years has been huge though. They carry on and I think maybe in another 3 world cups time they may have a team good enough.