Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

7 Games in, who's your 5th starter now?

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Over these ten games I feel like Anderson's vindicated me. He is what I thought he is. Very good shooter, better-than-people-think driver to the basket, FAR better-than-people-think rebounder... and slow-footed, not strong enough in individual defense. He needs to be coached up Rashard style in that regard.

But Barnes seems even better to me here than in Phoenix, which I didn't really suspect.. and he was darn solid enough in the desert.

So I say Barnes needs to be the fifth starter, HOWEVER, Rashard needs time at SF and needs it quickly, because despite his early success I still say we need Ryan Anderson in the rotation before J.J. Redick... sorry, I just do.

Then again Redick seems to have SVG's trust, so we might just stupidly sit Anderson, just because. Or, perhaps, Bass or Anderson play depending on who the Magic are facing. Who knows.

Bottom line I think Barnes should start, at least at first when Shard gets back, but SVG needs to find a way to get Ryan Anderson minutes. When his game is on, he can turn a game around or build a lead, and so far it's happening frequently.

I would agree that Barnes should be the 5th starter to begin with. I love his attitude and his willingness to do the dirty work. I love how he uses those long arms to get deflections and generally harass people.

I have one concern with Barnes. He has got to start hitting from 3pt land or he might get the "Rafer Treatment" and quickly. For those of you who don't remember, teams would repeatedly leave Alston and take away passing lanes to force him to take jumpers, and it would get ugly if he wasn't hitting.

I'd also say that many of you are dismissing a Shard/Anderson combination at forward, and I'm not sure why because there are a lot of similarities to the Turk/Shard combination. Of course neither one creates off the dribble as well as Turk, but Ryan is almost a carbon copy of Shard offensively at 4, and Lewis certainly has the ability to create for others in the post. Defensively, Lewis more than held his own when switched onto Pierce and Lebron in the playoffs and I have no reservations of him guarding SFs in spurts.

I'd also say that I wouldn't play Barnes at all in the last 2 minutes of the 4th. If we need a stop, I put in Pietrus. If we need a bucket, I put in Anderson.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

^ that's probably the only reason that makes me not want Barnes to start. I do NOT want another Rafer Alston.

Plus Barnes has a total of 19 turnovers so far while Pietrus has 3. I thought it was going to be close, but it wasn't.

Barnes has 9 steals and Pietrus 6.

The two areas where they are far apart is rebounds and 3 point shooting Barnes has 47 rebounds while Pietrus has 16.

But then Pietrus is shooting .389 while Barnes is shooting .241.

With all that said who do you really want starting??

Seems like Neo is running away with the Vote. I personally will also vote Anderson. For all of you talking about how Rashard is too slow to guard the quick 3's in this league, I heard the same about Hedo his whole career here. He gets blown by by the fast SF. Cant guard the Lebrons, Grangers, and Carmelos of the NBA.

Well first of all who can? Those players will get theirs regardless. Remember the ECF? We put our fastest most physical defender on Lebron for most of the game (Peaches) and Lebron was dropping 40+ every night.

Back to the main point. If hedo was quick and strong enough to guard the SF's in our system then Rashard is definitely quick and strong enough to guard them. Our defense is not predicated towards 'on ball' defense anyway its on team defense.

Honestly, I'd be comfortable with either Barnes or Pietrus starting. Pietrus was effective as a starter at the beginning of last year, until the injuries piled up and the need for a more consistent lineup arose.

Barnes gets a little bit of a pass on his turnovers because he is new and I can remember atleast 4 where our guys simply weren't ready for the pass. Given some time, those turnovers will turn into assists. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the 24% number goes up as well, not only because he's due, but when Lewis and Vince come back they will demand attention and fewer of his jumpers will be contested.

As far as Pietrus, I think everyone agrees that he's a bit of a chucker, and chuckers generally don't turn the ball over. I think his rebounds and turnovers are also lower than Barnes' because Pietrus has missed a couple games.

My preference is Barnes, because I like Pietrus backing up both the 2 and 3, and the energy he brings.

I'm also a huge fan of the idea of playing Shard at 3 with the 2nd unit, and running the offense through him in the post. You could take him out a little early sorta like we did with Turk last year, bring in Anderson and there won't be much of a drop off. Then you can bring in Pietrus, JWill, Gortat, and even JJ, and if they double Lewis in the Post, he has the vision to find the open man or let Gortat clean up the mess.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

Seems like Neo is running away with the Vote. I personally will also vote Anderson. For all of you talking about how Rashard is too slow to guard the quick 3's in this league, I heard the same about Hedo his whole career here. He gets blown by by the fast SF. Cant guard the Lebrons, Grangers, and Carmelos of the NBA.

Well first of all who can? Those players will get theirs regardless. Remember the ECF? We put our fastest most physical defender on Lebron for most of the game (Peaches) and Lebron was dropping 40+ every night.

Back to the main point. If hedo was quick and strong enough to guard the SF's in our system then Rashard is definitely quick and strong enough to guard them. Our defense is not predicated towards 'on ball' defense anyway its on team defense.

I was originally in favor of starting Anderson, even before summer league. However, I don't really like the idea of playing Lewis EXCLUSIVELY at 3. Shard has said he's more comfortable playing 4 now. Its not so much the defense that worries me, its the quick fouls that those guys tend to draw. If you have to play for stretches without guys due to foul trouble, I'd rather those guys be Barnes or Pietrus than Shard. Anderson tends pick up some quick ones too, and I don't think we'd want both of our stretch 4's in foul trouble early.

I'll say again that I'm a big fan of using Shard at 3 with the 2nd unit. Sorta like the way we would take Turk out early and then run the offense through him in the 2nd unit.

quote:
Originally posted by patport21:

IMO, Stan keeps the Line up as

Nelson

Redick

Carter

Lewis

Howard

I think that maximizes our bench the most

Didnt we find out against the Pistons this lineup doesnt work? And yes I'm basing it off one game.

I really think that lineup is way too small. We go from 2 6'10" forwards last year, to that? eh

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

Honestly, I'd be comfortable with either Barnes or Pietrus starting. Pietrus was effective as a starter at the beginning of last year, until the injuries piled up and the need for a more consistent lineup arose.

Barnes gets a little bit of a pass on his turnovers because he is new and I can remember atleast 4 where our guys simply weren't ready for the pass. Given some time, those turnovers will turn into assists. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the 24% number goes up as well, not only because he's due, but when Lewis and Vince come back they will demand attention and fewer of his jumpers will be contested.

As far as Pietrus, I think everyone agrees that he's a bit of a chucker, and chuckers generally don't turn the ball over. I think his rebounds and turnovers are also lower than Barnes' because Pietrus has missed a couple games.

My preference is Barnes, because I like Pietrus backing up both the 2 and 3, and the energy he brings.

I'm also a huge fan of the idea of playing Shard at 3 with the 2nd unit, and running the offense through him in the post. You could take him out a little early sorta like we did with Turk last year, bring in Anderson and there won't be much of a drop off. Then you can bring in Pietrus, JWill, Gortat, and even JJ, and if they double Lewis in the Post, he has the vision to find the open man or let Gortat clean up the mess.

Why give Barnes a pass on turnovers when no one else gets a pass.

As for the chucking label on Pietrus you can say the same thing for Barnes. His overall stats are not much better then Pietrus while Pietrus is a lot better then Barnes when it comes to 3 point shooting.